As a travel photographer and blogger, finding the perfect action camera is crucial so I can keep capturing incredible moments. While GoPro has long been the go-to choice for consumers seeking high-quality action cameras, there are now various alternatives on the market offering similar features and competitive prices. Let’s explore some of the top contenders that can stand toe-to-toe with GoPro in terms of performance.
When diving into the world of action cameras, it’s important to consider factors such as image quality, stabilization, durability, and overall usability when selecting the right camera.
As technology evolves, more brands are stepping up their game, offering unique action camera models that cater to a wide range of preferences and budgets.
What We Cover
- Best GoPro Alternatives You Should Consider
- 1. DJI Osmo Action
- 2. Insta360 X3
- 3. AKASO EK7000
- 4. AKASO Brave 4
- 5. Olympus TG-Tracker
- 6. Garmin Virb Ultra 30
- 7. Sony FDR X3000
- 8. Insta360 Go 2
- 9. Oclu Action Camera
- Factors in Finding the Best GoPro Alternative for You
- Image Quality
- Battery Life
- Ease of Use
- Front Screen Display
- Mobile App and Wi-Fi Connectivity
- Quality vs Price
- What are the top action cameras under $100?
- Which action cameras have the most extended battery life?
- How does DJI Osmo Action compare to GoPro?
- What are the best GoPro alternatives for underwater use?
Best GoPro Alternatives You Should Consider
1. DJI Osmo Action
The DJI Osmo Action is a formidable contender in the action camera market, emerging as a great GoPro alternative. This camera offers a stunning combination of high-quality image and video output, making it a go-to choice for adventurers and thrill-seekers.
Its durable build is designed to withstand the rigors of extreme outdoor activities. The user-friendly interface simplifies operation, allowing users to focus on the action.
The crowning feature of the DJI Osmo Action is its RockSteady stabilization technology. This advanced feature ensures you capture smooth videos and jitter-free images even in the most challenging conditions.
Watch our unboxing and initial reaction to the DJI from the ViaTravelers YouTube channel:
- Great Image Quality: Exceptional image and video resolution that rivals leading brands.
- Top-tier Stabilization: RockSteady stabilization technology ensures smooth footage in all conditions.
- Build Quality: Durable and rugged build, perfect for action and outdoor activities.
- Ease of Use: User-friendly interface makes it easy for beginners to use.
- Battery Life: Battery life could be improved for extended shooting sessions.
- Spartan Setup: The lack of certain accessories in the package requires additional purchases.
- Lack of Modularity: Fewer mounting options compared to a GoPro.
2. Insta360 X3
The Insta360 X3 is an excellent alternative to GoPro cameras, offering users unique perspectives for action shots with its 360-degree video and photo features. Its compact design and user-friendly mobile app make it a game-changer for casual users and professional content creators alike.
When it comes to performance, the Insta360 X3 is a marvel. It boasts superb image stabilization, which is a critical feature for action cameras. This stabilization ensures smooth, professional-level footage even in the most challenging situations. Its fully waterproof design adds versatility, allowing adventurers to capture their underwater experiences without any worries.
The camera is not without its drawbacks. The battery life could be longer, and the low-light performance may not be as strong as some would like. But with its overall functionality and competitive pricing, the Insta360 X3 is a worthy contender in the action camera market.
- Good Image Quality: 360-degree video and photo capabilities.
- Great Stabilization: The image stabilization is simply superb.
- Functionality: Works with a user-friendly mobile app.
- Compact Design: The sleek and solid build of this camera can’t be understated.
- Fully Waterproof: Think about this for your next whitewater kayaking experience!
- Battery Life: Battery life could be a bit longer.
- Poor at Night: Low-light performance is not as strong as others on this list.
See Related: Best GoPro Accessories for Travel
3. AKASO EK7000
If you’re a thrill-seeker looking for a cost-effective option, the AKASO EK7000 action camera is a fantastic find. It delivers outstanding 4K video recording and 12MP stills that outdo other cameras in its price bracket, making it an excellent choice for both seasoned pros and novices.
The AKASO EK7000’s superior imaging and user-friendly design make it easy to capture your adventures without breaking the bank. Seriously, this thing punches way above its weight!
- Superior Image Quality: The EK7000’s 4K video capture and 12MP photos ensure crisp, vivid imagery.
- Underwater Capabilities: The waterproof casing allows for underwater use up to 30m, perfect for divers and snorkelers.
- User-Friendly: An intuitive interface makes it easy to navigate, even for beginners.
- Accessories Included: The camera comes with accessories, enhancing its versatility.
- Price: It’s the deal of the century.
- Lack of Image Stabilization: The EK7000 does not include image stabilization, which can result in shaky footage during high-action activities.
4. AKASO Brave 4
The AKASO Brave 4 is a standout in the action camera market. Its 4K video resolution provides crystal-clear footage, ideal for capturing adventurous exploits. The camera’s image stabilization feature is top-notch, ensuring smooth, steady video even in the most dynamic situations.
If you are looking for a cheap action camera as a GoPro alternative, the Brave 4 stands out for its excellent video quality, impressive stabilization, and user-friendly features. It’s a solid contender for anyone seeking a reliable, high-performing action camera.
- High-Quality Footage: With 4K video and 20MP photo resolution, the Brave 4 captures every detail in stunning clarity.
- Impressive Image Stabilization: Whether you’re biking, surfing, or skydiving, your footage remains smooth and steady.
- Versatile Viewing Angles: Adjustable viewing angles (170°, 140°, 110°, and 70°) allow you to tailor your shots to the scene.
- WiFi Capabilities: Easily share your adventures on social media via the built-in WiFi connection.
- Audio Quality: The microphone isn’t as high-quality as the video, which may produce less crisp audio.
5. Olympus TG-Tracker
The Olympus TG-Tracker, a rugged and versatile action camera, is the ultimate companion for thrill-seekers and nature enthusiasts. It’s waterproof, shockproof, and freeze-proof, designed to withstand extreme conditions, making it perfect for any adrenaline-fueled adventure.
The Olympus TG-Tracker stands out with its robust build and superior video quality. Despite its size and somewhat complex interface, it’s a solid choice for those wanting to capture thrilling POV exploits in stunning detail. This camera is a testament to Olympus’ commitment to merging durability with high-quality video capture.
- Durability: With the ability to endure harsh conditions, it’s your go-to camera for any outdoor escapades.
- Wide-Angle Lens: Its 204-degree ultra-wide lens captures stunning landscapes and fast-paced action in great detail.
- 4K Recording: Records in 4K, ensuring your memories are preserved in the highest quality.
- Size: Slightly bulkier than its competitors, it may not be the best choice for those prioritizing portability.
- Complex Interface: The interface may take some time to master, potentially making it less user-friendly for beginners.
6. Garmin Virb Ultra 30
The Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 is a dynamic contender in the action camera market, offering high-quality features and a user-friendly design. Its robust feature set and user-friendly interface make it a strong choice for novices and seasoned adventurers. Nonetheless, the battery life and price point may be a drawback for some buyers.
- 4K Video and 12MP Photos: Capture your adventures in stunning detail with crisp, high-resolution images and video.
- 3-Axis Image Stabilization: Whether you’re mountain biking or skydiving, this feature ensures your footage stays smooth and steady.
- GPS Data Overlays: Add a new layer to your storytelling by overlaying speed, altitude, and other data onto your videos.
- Touchscreen and Voice Control: Navigate the camera’s features easily using the intuitive touchscreen or simple voice commands.
- Battery Life: The battery life may not be enough for extended shooting sessions.
- Price: Higher than some competitors, the price may deter budget-conscious consumers.
7. Sony FDR X3000
The Sony FDR X3000 action camera, a compact powerhouse, is a must-have for adventure enthusiasts. It boasts superior image and video resolution, capturing moments in stunning 4K quality. It’s also a bit of a steal!
The Sony FDR X3000 is a premium action camera with a blend of performance and durability, perfect for capturing thrilling moments of your travels as they unfurl. While it’s at an impressive price point, be prepared for its less impressive battery life and low-light performance.
- Optical Image Stabilization: Say goodbye to shaky footage. The Sony FDR X3000’s Balanced Optical SteadyShot (B.O.SS) feature ensures smooth, professional-grade videos.
- Waterproof Design: This camera is adventure-ready with its robust, waterproof casing that can withstand depths of up to 60m.
- Quality Audio: Unlike many action cameras, the Sony FDR X3000 offers stereo sound recording, enhancing your video’s overall impact.
- User-Friendly Interface: The camera’s intuitive menu makes navigating its multiple features easy.
- Battery Life: Heavy usage may require additional batteries.
- Low-Light Performance: The camera’s performance dips in low-light conditions, making it less ideal for night-time adventures.
8. Insta360 Go 2
The Insta360 Go 2 is a small action camera that revolutionizes portable videography. Its compact size and extensive range of features make it the perfect choice for content creators on the move. It’s also one of the best bargains on this list!
In this day and age, where content creation is crucial, the Insta360 Go 2 is a versatile tool that allows creators to capture their surroundings in breathtaking detail. Although it has a few limitations, its impressive capabilities and compact design make it a wise investment for any adventurer or content creator.
- Stunning Video Quality: The Go 2 captures crisp, 1440p video, preserving every detail.
- Impressive Stabilization: FlowState stabilization smooths your footage even in high-action scenarios.
- Versatile Attachments: Magnetic accessories offer endless possibilities for unique shots and easy camera placement.
- Waterproof Design: The Go 2 can brave the elements, perfect for outdoor adventurers.
- Battery Life: While the camera offers up to 30 minutes of continuous shooting, frequent users may find this insufficient.
- No 4K Support: Despite its impressive video quality, lacking 4K support may deter some videography enthusiasts.
9. Oclu Action Camera
The Oclu Action Camera is a sleek and compact alternative to the typical action camera. It combines design and functionality to capture moments in clear and stunning 4K resolution, preserving every detail.
The Oclu is unique with its high-quality video, user-friendly design, and adaptable mounting options. Although it has a few minor drawbacks, it’s a worthy competitor in the market, providing a dependable and stylish option for recording life’s exciting experiences.
- User-friendly: The Oclu boasts an intuitive interface, making it accessible for beginners and advanced users.
- Versatile Mounting Options: With a variety of mounts available, it can adapt to any adventure from biking to surfing.
- Wind Noise Reduction: This feature enhances audio clarity during high-speed activities, a game-changer for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Battery Life: Surprisingly decent overall.
- Lack of touch screen: The absence of a touch screen may be a downside for those used to smartphone-style controls.
See Related: Best Camera Bags for Travel
Factors in Finding the Best GoPro Alternative for You
A good GoPro alternative should deliver high-quality video resolution and images with vivid colors and sharp details. Ideally, it should offer a resolution of at least 1080p for videos and a high megapixel count for still images.
Some models may also support 4K video recording, providing even greater detail. Coupled with excellent image quality, a wide field of view is essential for capturing immersive action shots. Look for a device with adjustable field of view settings, ranging from narrow to wide angles.
Image stabilization is crucial for action cameras, as it minimizes the impact of shaky hands or vibrations during intense activities. The best GoPro alternative will be integrated electronic image stabilization (EIS), which digitally corrects camera movement while recording.
Some may even offer optical stabilization for even greater stability. A smooth, shake-free video results from effective stabilization features, making it a vital factor to consider when choosing an action camera.
An important factor in selecting a reliable GoPro alternative is battery life. Long-lasting batteries ensure you won’t miss capturing special moments during your adventures. Aim for a camera with a battery life of at least 90 minutes per charge.
Removable batteries are an excellent feature, allowing you to swap them out during extended shoots. Remember to factor in the charging time and consider investing in extra batteries to prolong your shooting time.
When it comes to action cameras, durability is key for outdoor use. It’s vital to find one with built-in waterproofing so you can use it in any wet or underwater environment without the need for an extra waterproof case.
Keep in mind that certain models have waterproof ratings up to a certain depth, so consider your specific usage needs when making your selection. For those planning to take the device on a diving or snorkeling adventure, a higher waterproof rating is absolutely crucial.
Ease of Use
A good GoPro alternative should be user-friendly and easy to operate, even in challenging environments. A touchscreen interface can simplify navigation and provide quick access to settings and features.
Additionally, user-friendly design elements such as intuitive button layout, voice commands, and smartphone connectivity can make the device more enjoyable. As an action camera user, you’ll want to spend more time capturing your adventures and less time fumbling with settings.
Front Screen Display
A front-screen display can be beneficial for framing selfies, vlogging, and monitoring footage in real time. Various GoPro alternatives, such as compact action cameras such as the DJI Osmo Action and Akaso Brave 7 LE, feature built-in front-facing screens, allowing users to compose their shots easily. This eliminates the need for an external display or guesswork when capturing footage from a front-facing angle.
Mobile App and Wi-Fi Connectivity
Wireless connectivity is crucial for sharing content and controlling cameras remotely. Most GoPro alternatives offer mobile app compatibility and Wi-Fi connectivity, enabling users to control settings, preview live footage, and transfer files to their smartphones or tablets.
The DJI Action and Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 are prime examples, with user-friendly mobile apps and seamless Wi-Fi connections for quick content sharing and remote control access.
While these GoPro alternatives offer great value and innovative features, it’s crucial to consider factors such as 4K resolution, voice control, lens options, field of view, mobile app compatibility, and Wi-Fi connectivity when selecting an action camera that suits your requirements best.
Quality vs Price
When exploring the best GoPro alternatives, it’s essential to consider the balance between quality and price. While some alternatives offer 4K video quality similar to GoPro, they may vary in terms of additional features and overall value.
Budget options like the Akaso Brave 4 provide a well-rounded performance for users looking for a more affordable option. Alternatively, premium alternatives such as the Sony FDR X3000 offer advanced features similar to those of high-end GoPro models but at a higher price point.
See Related: Best Cameras for Travel Blogging
What are the top action cameras under $100?
While finding high-quality action cameras at lower price points is challenging, some options under $100 may still meet your needs. Examples of affordable action cameras include the Akaso EK7000 and the Apeman A80. These cameras typically offer basic features like 1080p or 4K video recording and built-in Wi-Fi but may lack advanced features like stabilization or superior low-light performance.
Which action cameras have the most extended battery life?
How does DJI Osmo Action compare to GoPro?
The DJI Osmo Action is widely regarded as a worthy rival to the GoPro range. It boasts an impressive array of features, including the ability to record 4K video at 60 frames per second, electronic stabilization known as RockSteady, and a front-facing display that’s perfect for vlogging or taking selfies.
In comparison, the GoPro HERO series offers 4K video capabilities, exceptional stabilization thanks to HyperSmooth technology, and customizable exposure controls. Ultimately, both cameras cater to different users based on their specific needs and preferences regarding features and ease of use.