Many pet owners want to bring their scaly, finned, furry, or feathered friends along for their travels – you might be among them. Naturally, you want the best travel insurance for pets that gives you peace of mind, works with your budget and is more than capable of dealing with unplanned veterinarian visits on vacation.
This type of insurance covers pets and emotional support animals. It normally has a low monthly charge, but it may cover tens of thousands of dollars in unexpected vet bills—it might be enough to save your pet’s life!
Many pet insurance companies provide extensive accident and sickness coverage and flexible premiums, deductibles, and easy-to-understand conditions.
They also provide discounts for insuring numerous dogs, certain preventative care coverage, and further protection through add-on riders while traveling with pets.
Table of Contents
- What Is Pet Health Insurance, And How Does It Work?
- Best Pet Insurance Companies for Travel
- 1. Hartville
- 2. Healthy Paws
- 3. ASPCA
- 4. Spot
- 5. Pumpkin
- 6. Figo
- 7. Embrace
- 8. Pets Best
- 9. Lemonade
- 10. Trupanion
- 11. Nationwide
- 12. TrustedPals
- 13. PetInsure
- 14. MetLife Pet Insurance
- 15. 24PetWatch
- 16. Pet Assure
- 17. USAA Pet Insurance
- 18. GEICO Pet Insurance
- 19. Wagmo
- 20. Prudent Pet
- 21. Many Pets
- 22. Progressive
- The Best Pet Insurance for Your Pets: A Buyer’s Guide to Travel Insurance for Pets
- Pre-existing Conditions
- Travel Pet Insurance Costs
- Kind of Pet
- Breed of Pet
- Number of Pets
- Coverage Type
- Coverage Amount
- Final Thoughts
- What Is The Cost of Pet Insurance?
- Is Pet Insurance A Good Investment?
What Is Pet Health Insurance, And How Does It Work?
Pet insurance works by reimbursing qualified medical expenditures for your pet. However, the policy’s fine print lays out certain extra restrictions:
Your insurance won’t pay for treatment until a certain time has passed. Most businesses will not reimburse you for a vet visit due to sickness unless you wait at least 14 days after enrolling.
Most pet health insurance companies’ policies include exclusions for certain circumstances. Before buying, read the policy carefully to understand what isn’t covered.
Unlike human health insurance companies, pet insurance normally does not have a limited or preferred provider network.
See Related: Best Sites for Booking Tours
Best Pet Insurance Companies for Travel
All dogs and cats are covered by Hartville pet travel insurance, irrespective of age. Crum & Forster Insurance, the same insurer covering the ASPCA, is underwriting the policies. Hartville’s plans provide good coverage, but they come at a cost: a mixed-breed puppy will cost roughly $40 per month, while a mixed kitten would cost around $22. Accident-only coverage appears to be a cost-effective option, yet even then, rates for a puppy start at roughly $30. Illness benefits premiums rise dramatically after your dog reaches the age of five.
- The annual coverage limit is unlimited
- A 30-day trial period is offered
- Enrollment is available in the United States, US territories, and Canada
- Reimbursement for preventive care is restricted
- There are no affordable options available
2. Healthy Paws
Bringing pets on vacation can be tough and unmanageable for the pet owner to travel. You want to look for travel insurance plans for pets that take care of them on your journey. Healthy Paws‘ mobile application enables speedy claim processing, with most claims being handled within two days. If you can’t afford the upfront veterinarian expense, it provides a direct payment best for alternative therapies instead of reimbursement.
There are no per-incident, yearly, or lifetime benefit restrictions, and you may pick between a $100 and $500 deductible.
Do note that Healthy Paws is better to ensure your pets while their young, as older pets’ coverage options and reimbursement options are more limited. Healthy Paws has only one accident and illness coverage for cats and dogs.
- There are no per-incident, yearly, or lifetime caps
- Claims are processed quickly
- Office tests are not covered
- Only one accident and illness coverage plan
See Related: Best Insurance for Pre-Existing Conditions
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals offers accident-only, incident and illness, and preventive services for cats and dogs.
Horse people (and probably horse owners too) can ensure their travel insurance plans for support animals, but only in certain states (y’know, the ones with horse people).
The ASPCA’s premium pricing is among the most affordable on the market, and the organization is also more adaptable than its rivals on important insurance criteria.
- Comprehensive coverage for inherited and congenital diseases
- Enrollment has no upper age limit for the pet
- The website is difficult to navigate
It’s one of the few organizations that offer insurance with a full (100%) coverage option, which means you’re not responsible for any bill co-payments!
Furthermore, the organization offers a low ($100) deductible option, further lowering your out-of-pocket healthcare costs.
- Deductibles start at $100
- Annual coverage is unlimited
- There is no maximum age restriction
- Premiums for young dogs are a little more expensive than the market rate
See Related: Best Travel Agent Jobs
Pumpkin has low-cost programs with the option of adding preventative care packs for young cats and dogs’ travel insurance plans that aren’t covered by normal coverage. It has probably the best insurance plans for cats on the market, particularly kittens.
One annual wellness checkup charge, four puppy immunizations, and one yearly fecal test are included in the company’s puppy preventative care packs.
- There is no higher age restriction
- Prescription food is covered
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- There are no levels of reimbursement that may be customized
FIGO’s 100 percent reimbursement option allows pet owners to lower their co-payment to 0%. (The lowest co-payment given by other providers is often 10%). Figo does not impose yearly restrictions on travel insurance plans for pets, but it does impose a lifetime cap – the amount it will compensate throughout your pet’s lifespan.
- Up to 100% reimbursement
- No upper age restriction for enrollment
- Low deductible alternatives
- Preventative care is not covered.
See Related: SeatGuru Review
Embrace pet travel insurance is prepared to cover pets up to 15 years old for accidents and illnesses. You can still get insurance beyond that age, but just for accidents. That’s unusual because most firms won’t cover pets above ten.
- Enrollment is open to those over the age of 65
- the deductible is reduced each year
- The yearly reimbursement cap is high
- Only covers dogs and cats
8. Pets Best
Accident and illness insurance is available from Pets Best, and various wellness plans to cover your pet’s normal care.
Most insurers need pets to be at least eight weeks old before they can be insured. However, Pets Best will cover pets as young as seven weeks. There is no upper age restriction so you may ensure older pets for travel as well.
- Covers dogs as early as seven weeks old with no upper age restriction
- Direct payments are available
- Deductibles are offered in a variety of amounts
- No coverage for onsite treatments
- Exclusions are applied on a bilateral basis
See Related: Best Travel Gift Ideas
A separate rider is offered to cover vet checkup expenditures and alternative therapies like acupuncture!
- Claims are processed quickly in minutes rather than weeks using a mobile app
- Many savings, including those for combining with homeowners’ insurance
- Insuring multiple dogs is easy
- Making a single, yearly payment
- Limited information accessible online
- Only available in 36 states
Trupanion has a single insurance plan that covers both cats and dogs. Apart from traditional advantages such as diagnostic tests, surgery, hospitalization, and prescription drugs, coverage includes alternative therapies, dental diseases, prosthetic devices, and prescription food.
- Veterinarians are paid directly by the firm
- Deductibles per ailment for the rest of your life
- Expensive premiums
See Related: Best Travel Security Products
The only pet insurance provider of this magnitude to provide an Avian and Exotic Pet coverage is Nationwide. Most birds, mammals, and small reptiles, especially goats and even pot-bellied pigs, can be protected. However, any animal that isn’t specifically listed on the Nationwide website, such as those classified as poisonous or endangered, isn’t eligible.
- Exotic pets, including birds, are covered
- Pet insurance coverage is discounted by 5% for those having other Nationwide policies
- A free 24-hour vet hotline is available
- Only one ($250) deductible choice is offered
- Enrollment is restricted to people over the age of 65
Zurich, a multinational insurance business, issues TrustedPals’ coverage and travel insurance plans for pets. TrustedPals offers coverage to dog and cat owners of any age, and 1% of the company’s income is given to animal-related charities.
- Covers recommended behavioral training, counseling, and treatment
- Claims are reimbursed in as little as ten days
- Visit any registered veterinarian in the United States
- The wellness plan’s reimbursement cap is $750
See Related: Best Gadgets for Long Flights
PetInsure offers private cover for pups, dogs, kittens, and indoor-only cats and is a top destination for pet parents who desire no extra complaints.
They point out and explain every key aspect of your pet’s insurance policy without you getting bogged down. It’s travel pet insurance that’s easy to comprehend. This reputable pet insurance company can provide several estimates and coverage options. The PetInsure technology allows you to acquire the coverage you want without going to a different website.
Pet Insurance is a well-known firm in the pet insurance sector, offering a variety of cover choices.
- No-nonsense, easy to understand
- Quote delivered in seconds
- Not the most comprehensive website
14. MetLife Pet Insurance
MetLife Pet Insurance, formerly Pet First, has a simple online application and various healthcare plans. You can choose between $2,000 and $10,000 as your full benefit sum for your travel insurance plans for pets.
- Several discounts
- Deductibles vary between $50 and $500
- The processing of a claim might take up to two weeks
- Treatments for parasites are not covered
- The maximum yearly benefit is only $10,000
See Related: Best Travel Posters
24PetWatch provides insurance and wellness plans with short waiting periods and cheap deductibles; however, the firm did not cut due to policy constraints. There is just one reimbursement option (80 percent).
In addition, dogs and cats reach the end of their coverage at ten and twelve, respectively in their travel insurance plans. It’s rare to find a business prepared to start coverage at certain ages, thus leaving older dogs uninsured.
- No waiting time for accidents
- Coverage for chronic diseases after 24 months of symptom-free
- Covers billed amount, including exam expenses
- Limited enrollment age
16. Pet Assure
To be clear, Pet Assure isn’t pet insurance; instead, it’s a discount package that saves you 25% on all in-office medical treatments. While veterinarians from all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Canada participate in the program, the number of providers by area is restricted.
- Money-back guarantee of 45 days
- Discount for several pets
- This is not pet insurance
- There is no coverage for expert services
- Prescription food and medicines are not included
See Related: RVShare Review
17. USAA Pet Insurance
Through Embrace, USAA offers accident-only and accident-and-illness plans and a wellness rider. Embrace is also in charge of claims and customer service. Members may get up to a 25% discount on pet travel insurance by purchasing it via USAA.
- Membership and multi-pet discount
- 24/7 claim submission
- Visit any registered veterinarian in the United States
- No online chat assistance
- Limited policy information
18. GEICO Pet Insurance
Pet owners who use GEICO to apply for insurance will be routed to Embrace’s website. On the other hand, GEICO does not offer limitless yearly benefits, complete reimbursement, or a $0 deductible.
- Various discounts
- The website has limited information
- No online support – just phone
See Related: Best Gifts for Couples Who Love to Travel
Wagmo provides a single pet insurance plan that covers both accidents and diseases. The policy contains $100,000 and $10,000 lifetime and per-incident limitations, respectively. Most of the firms we looked at, on the other hand, allow pet owners to pick their chosen yearly coverage level (up to “unlimited”) and avoid any per-incident restrictions.
- 100% reimbursement is provided
- 15-day waiting period
- Pet ambulance transportation is covered
- Limits up to $100,000
20. Prudent Pet
A prudent pet offers two types of accident and sickness insurance (Essential and Unlimited), an accident-only plan, and a preventative care add-on. Pet insurance benefits and premiums are equivalent to those offered by other companies in travel. For example, a one-year-old Cocker Spaniel’s essential coverage costs $42 a month, with a 70% reimbursement rate and a $500 deductible.
- Provides an option for an unlimited yearly benefit
- There is no upper age restriction for registration
- There is no option for 100% reimbursement
- Exam cost coverage is an optional extra
See Related: Best Credit Cards for Travel Perks
21. Many Pets
Many Pets have a single accident and sickness coverage with a wellness add-on as an option. Veterinarian expenses, medicine, treatment, surgery, hospitalization, euthanasia, and cremation are all covered. It also counts on the best pet travel insurance
- There are no annual or lifetime payment options
- Pays for veterinary examinations and consultations
- There are no insurance reductions
- The wellness plan isn’t as extensive as some others
One of the largest pet insurance companies, Pets Best, is where Progressive sells pet insurance. Accidents and diseases, accidents alone, and regular care are available insurance policies. There is a three-day waiting time for accidents and a 14-day waiting period for illnesses before you may utilize your coverage. It is an insurance plan for guide gods too.
- Low rates
- Discounts available
- Easy to acquire a quotation online
- There isn’t much online information
- Progressive doesn’t fund its plans
- Progressive has a record for lowballing payouts (and fighting it out in court rather than paying what you deserve!)
See Related: How to Find Hacker Fare Flights
The Best Pet Insurance for Your Pets: A Buyer’s Guide to Travel Insurance for Pets
Before choosing a pet insurance company, think about a few things to better understand what your policy will cover and which choice is best for your pet’s health and budget.
Any medical ailment that existed before you purchased your pet’s travel insurance coverage is referred to as a pre-existing condition.
Most pet insurance companies cover curable pre-existing conditions as long as any recurrence occurs at least 12 months after the previous issue. If sickness is treatable and there are no symptoms for 180 days, the pet insurance plan will not consider it “pre-existing” (excluding knee and ligament conditions). If the issue recurs after 180 days, it will be treated as a new problem and covered.
Curable Pre-Existing Conditions Include:
- Infections of the lungs
- Infections of the ears
- Infections of the urinary tract
- Infections of the bladder
Incurable Pre-Existing Conditions Include:
- Cancer (in many cases)
- Orthopedic problems
- Crystals in the gallbladder (typically treated with meds rather than surgery)
- Coronary artery disease
- Kidney disease
- Blockages in the urinary tract
- Hip dysplasia
Many of these illnesses need many visits to the veterinarian, continued treatment, and, in some cases, surgery. Some pet insurance will not cover pre-existing incurable diseases.
See Related: Free Printable Travel Planner
Travel Pet Insurance Costs
Several things influence the cost of pet insurance. Here are a some of the most crucial factors:
Kind of Pet
The sort of animal you own impacts the cost of your insurance. In most cases, cats are slightly less expensive to insure than dogs.
Breed of Pet
Insurance companies will evaluate your rate based on your pet’s breed because some animal breeds are more prone to health problems.
Number of Pets
Insuring many pets is more expensive, but many insurance providers will give you a discount code if you have more than one.
Some pet insurance policies are more costly than others. An accident and illness insurance, for example, will cost more than an accident-only policy simply because it provides more coverage.
The larger your yearly coverage limit, the more expensive your policy is. Insurance with unlimited coverage is generally the most expensive choice.
A bigger deductible lowers your monthly premium and vice versa. Provided you desire inexpensive coverage, a high deductible may be a smart choice if you can afford the out-of-pocket expenses.
See Related: Best Camper Accessories
If you’re searching for a long-term policy, you might look into pet health insurance. Pet health insurance is continuous insurance that some pet owners choose to ensure that their dogs are fully protected in an accident or sickness. Some pet health insurance providers will cover pets both locally and overseas.
What Is The Cost of Pet Insurance?
Many things will influence the cost of your pet insurance policy:
1) The kind, gender, and breed of your pet
2) The age of your pet
3) Your location
4) Coverage options
5) The deductible and reimbursement amount
Pet insurance will be more expensive if you reside in a more expensive area, such as California or New York City.
Is Pet Insurance A Good Investment?
Only if you love that animal you’re bringing with you. You’d insure yourself, your spouse, and your kids, right?
Your needs and your pet’s health care demands will determine whether pet insurance will benefit you. Consider the expenditures vs. the possible advantages of a plan before enrolling your pet. Any pet insurance policy provides a service that isn’t measured in dollars, providing you the peace so you won’t be on your own when it comes to hefty medical expenses.
- 30 Cheapest Places to Travel in the World
- Best Travel Credit Cards
- Top Sites for Booking Tours
- Thrifty Traveler Review
Use Skyscanner to book the cheapest flight possible. Skyscanner is my favorite flight search engine as you can find flights around the globe and from every airline possible. You'll be in great shape to get the best price possible.
You must grab a free trial or join Scott's Cheap Flights Premium to get cheap flight alerts directly to your email inbox. My favorite cheap flight alert was 25,000 Delta SkyMiles to London non-stop.