Are you confused about becoming a member of the Dollar Flight Club? Does it make any financial sense to become a member? Let’s find out the answers in this detailed Dollar Flight Club review.
Traveling the world is usually the top item on everyone’s bucket list. But between the high flying fare, the scheduling conflicts, and the sheer amount of planning, it starts to look more and more like a pipedream.
Enter Dollar Flight Club, a cheap flight alert service that hand-picks the perfect flight plan for you.
The name says it all. Dollar Flight Club procures budget-friendly flight options customized to your preferences. Akin to a dollar store, you can find a plethora of dirt-cheap flight options.
Think about it: wouldn’t it be great if someone else did all the logistical labor for you. That way, all you have to do is book the flight and plan the fun parts of your vacation.
This post will give a comprehensive Dollar Flight Club review.
Table of Contents
- What is Dollar Flight Club?
- Dollar Flight Club Pricing
- How Dollar Flight Club Works
- What You Have to Do
- Behind the Scenes
- How to Sign Up for Dollar Flight Club
- How to Book Cheap Flights With Dollar Flight Club
- Booking a Flight
- Dollar Flight Club Free, Premium, and Premium Plus
- Premium Plus
- Which Package is Most Worth-It?
- Dollar Flight Club vs Competitors
- Pros and Cons of Dollar Flight Club
- Pros of Dollar Flight Club
- Cons of Dollar Flight Club
- Is Dollar Flight Club Worth It?
- Dollar Flight Club
- Flight Options
- Flight Deals
What is Dollar Flight Club?
Dollar Flight Club is a subscription-based travel service that notifies its members of the cheapest flight departures from their nearest airport. Additionally, it extends various affiliate deals pertinent to all your traveling needs.
The DLC is run by a remote team of travel enthusiasts who painstakingly scan flight databases for the cheapest flights according to your personal preferences. Essentially, they take care of all the preliminaries, including shortlisting airlines and travel dates.
Most importantly, however, they cross-check available airfares and identify the ones that are the best value for money.
Subscribers get notified of these flights via email or mobile app alerts. After this, all that is left for you to do is snip up the offer before someone else gets to it.
The tech-based company was the brainchild of travel aficionado Jesse Neugarten. Neugarten began his endeavor following a near-death experience that evoked the need to live every day to the fullest and help others do the same.
DFC offers three subscription packages: free, premium, and premium plus. Each package has its own virtues.
The company is driven by the principle that everyone should have the chance to connect with different cultures. As such, they also offer additional perks on cheap travel bags and hotel fares, depending upon your subscription package.
They also consider the cost of vacationing in different cities, so that you can find the cheapest travel destinations.
Whether it’s free, premium, or premium plus, we will evaluate all packages to bring you a comprehensive Dollar Flight Club review.
Dollar Flight Club Pricing
This section will give a quick run-down of the subscription plans and payment options offered by Dollar Flight Club.
Memberships fall into three categories: free, premium, and premium plus.
The good thing about Dollar Flight Club is that it is a relatively new endeavor, so they’ve kept their prices on the low end to attract clients. They also churn out multiple promo codes and discount offers all year round.
Signing up is free of cost. Upon signing up, you’re given a free membership by default. For $0, you can get the most basic package. After you sign up, you can choose to upgrade your membership status.
The Premium package is the next step up. Usually, you have to pay an upgrade fee of $69. However, as of November 2020, you can have the package for a mere $20 upgrade fee for the first year.
You can also avail a 14 day free trial for the premium membership after you first create your DFC account.
The top tier subscription is Premium Plus, with an annual subscription fee of $99. You might think that it’s a little steep, but if you’re a frequent flyer, $99 is quite the steal.
Unbelievable, isn’t it? Keep reading to find out how you can get your money’s worth with all three subscriptions.
How Dollar Flight Club Works
Dollar Flight Club is a fairly straightforward and intimate service, with a talented team buttressing its daily operations.
What You Have to Do
As a subscriber, your job is fairly simple. All you have to do is sign up using your Google account, fill out a few details about your traveling preferences, choose your subscription package, and wait for the cheap airfares to come flying in.
One of the most important details that you need to disclose is your departure airport. This is to ensure that you only receive details of the flights that are specific to your airport.
Other details, such as favorite destinations and preferred dates of travel, also help to further customize flight options. However, this is a package-specific feature.
Now that the DFC database has your information, you will start receiving alerts. If you have the DFC app, then you’ll receive notifications just as you might for Facebook or Instagram. Otherwise, you will receive email alerts on your given Google ID.
It’s entirely on you to check these notifications regularly so that you don’t miss out. Alternatively, if you do miss an alert, you can always go to your DFC homepage to view all active deals.
Keep in mind that DFC is not a flight booking service. It merely alerts you of the flights that might interest you.
After that, you have to book the flight through Google Flights. The added work definitely isn’t a good look, so let’s hope that they integrate flight booking services at some point.
You can find the step-by-step procedure to book a flight further in this article.
Behind the Scenes
Dollar Flight Club is very transparent with its operational procedures. What might appear as some cryptic, automated mechanism is actually a dedicated team of flight finders who algorithmically scour through huge databases to identify the perfect flight for you.
This means that you can always reach out to the team for any help related to flight bookings.
You’ll find their quick response time very helpful when you’re booking last-minute flights.
How to Sign Up for Dollar Flight Club
Signing up is extremely easy. If you have a Google account, you can just sign up using your Gmail credentials.
The account you use to sign up is going to be the account on which you receive flight alerts. So make sure that you sign up using an active account.
Once you sign up, you can easily avail a 14-day trial period for a premium membership.
For iPhone users, the DFC app will make things a whole lot easier. The app sends instant notifications, and it’s straightforward to navigate through. When you sign up, you’ll be prompted to fill out a few details.
- If you’re availing the free membership, you’ll only be required to specify your departure region.
- If you’re a premium member, you can specify more preferences, such as departure airport, favorite airlines, and dream destinations.
Here’s a tip: select the largest airport near you to get as many deals as possible and the cheapest deals too. You can add airports later.
Remember: you can always change your preferences whenever you want. To do this, you’ll have to go to your account settings and simply edit your choices.
How to Book Cheap Flights With Dollar Flight Club
This is the fun part. Now that you’ve signed up with DFC, you’ll immediately have a ton of flight options already waiting for you.
Booking a Flight
Here is how you can book cheap flights on Dollar Flight club:
- Open your email alert on your Gmail account.
- Click on the orange button labeled Log In & Book. This button will take you to the official Dollar Flight Club page.
- Here, you can find more information about your deal. This includes details about departure airport, fare, destination, and general travel dates.
- Once you’re satisfied with the details, click on the orange View Flight button. This button will redirect you to Google Flights.
- You can select your preferred dates from Google Flights. You’ll see that some example dates have already been selected for you. If you want to explore more dates, click on the calendar view option.
- Explore the Google calendar view for available flights on different dates. However, you can easily change the dates by exploring the Google calendar view. The cheapest flights are encircled green.
- Once you find your dates, select them, and hit Done. This will give you a few options for both the departing and return flight.
- Select your departure and return flights. The cheapest flights will be on the top and highlighted green.
- You will then be taken to their view page, where an overview of your flight details is given. This includes booking options.
- From the booking options, select the airline or online travel agents. This is where you will purchase your flight deal.
- Once you select your booking option, you’ll be able to purchase the ticket.
You will need to use a credit card to make the payment, which is pretty standard.
However, if you don’t have a credit card, there are still many ways you can circumvent this.
Dollar Flight Club Free, Premium, and Premium Plus
DFC offers three types of subscriptions: free, premium, and premium plus.
Each subscription has its own perks. To see which one is the most worth-it, let’s first compare them.
With the free subscription, you get one flight deal per day. These flight deals are minimally personalized. The only thing you can choose is the departure region.
With the premium membership, you are privy to four times as many daily deals. Additionally, premium members are high-priority, which means you will get the alerts first.
Moreover, you have more personalization options, such as departure airports, dream destinations, and favorite airlines.
Another convenient feature of the premium package is that you will receive extra notifications. If you have the Dollar Flight Club iPhone app, you’ll get Gmail alerts, app notifications alert, and SMS alerts.
Lastly, you can avail weekend warrior deals and premium perks through your premium DFC membership.
As you can see, it’s quite a jump up from the free membership.
Premium plus has all the features of premium, with two additional perks.
Firstly, you can avail business and first-class flight deals. You can also get discounted access to Mobile Passport Plus.
Which Package is Most Worth-It?
Considering the subscription fee and associated features, the premium package is definitely the best value for money.
The free membership gives you barely any personalization. In fact, you’ll actually be left to do most of the work, which kind of defeats the purpose of Dollar Flight Club.
On the other end, premium plus is too glorified; it’s almost twice as expensive with few additional features which themselves are useless.
For example, if you’re looking for cheap travel, you can live without business-class luxury.
Dollar Flight Club vs Competitors
Let’s take a look at how Dollar Flight Club compares to competitors in the cheap flight booking space.
|Company||Free Trial||Email Alerts||Annual Cost||Key Features|
|Scott’s Cheap Flights||✔️||✔️||$49.00||Text and email alerts, daily deals, mistake fares and rare deals|
|Thrifty Traveler Premium||❌||✔️||$44.99||Text and email alerts, daily deals, mistake fares and rare deals|
|Dollar Flight Club||✔️||✔️||$20; Then, $69||Multiple departure airports, text and email alerts, daily deals, mistake fares, two levels of premium|
Pros and Cons of Dollar Flight Club
Let’s admit it. So far, Dollar Flight Club looks to be quite promising.
Let’s sum up the highlights.
Pros of Dollar Flight Club
- It has a reasonable annual premium fee.
- All the work up to finding a cheap flight is done for you.
- The premium fee pays for itself many times over, and then some.
- Flight deals are always relevant, recent, and constantly updating.
- Zero commissions or affiliate codes.
- Deals with DFC partners such as accommodation, restaurants, entertainment, travel equipment.
- The main takeaway here is the unbelievable value for money. According to DFC, you can save anywhere from 60%-90% on standard flights. This means if you’re a frequent flyer, you’re saving thousands of dollars every year.
Cons of Dollar Flight Club
- The free plan is virtually useless. The only thing you get is zero personalization and annoying ad pop-ups.
- There is no built-in search engine.
- Subscriptions, including a free premium trial, are automatically renewed.
- DFC App is not available for Android users.
Is Dollar Flight Club Worth It?
To end this Dollar Flight Club review, let’s give a final verdict.
All things considered, Dollar Flight Club is worth it only if you avail of the premium plan. It’s quite cheap, and the return is astounding, especially if you’re in the air a lot.
However, if you’re not a frequent flyer, then it’s a waste of $69. You might as well go the extra mile and figure out your flight details yourself.
- Best Travel Credit Cards
- Top Sites for Booking Tours
- Motel vs Hotel vs Inn
- Best Skyscanner Alternatives
via travelers is a modern travel blog providing the best tips, hacks, and itineraries to ensure you have an amazing adventure.