Traveling can be challenging, especially when you don’t have the necessary gear. For instance, many people have been suffering from ear discomfort and pain during flights. But the good news is, if you are one of those individuals, this Earplanes review shows you just how to ensure that your flight is painless.
EarPlanes Review: Do They Work for Travel
As many of us would attest, flying isn’t always fun. This is especially when you have to endure that pain in your ears for an entire landing or takeoff. The fact is, during a flight air pressure changes causing discomfort or pain in your ears.
And, although the feeling may not last long, it sometimes can be quite painful. Also, it can possibly lead to long-term problems such as chronic pain, hearing loss, or even permanent injury to your inner ear tissues. This is why you should protect your ears during flights to ensure their good health.
But how do you do that? Well, you can try to balance the pressure in your ears by either yawning or swallowing during takeoff and landing. Better still, you can purchase some Earplanes before your flight to ensure you travel in comfort.
This EarPlanes review intends to help you understand the importance of these items during your flight, as well as answer any other question you may have.
So, to start with, let’s answer the first and most important question:
Table of Contents
What are EarPlanes?
These are simply pressure reducing earplugs, which you insert in your ear. They help to regulate pressure in your ear and reduce the pain or discomfort resulting from a flight. EarPlanes products are patented, and jointly owned by Cirrus Healthcare Products LLC, and the House Ear Institute based in Los Angeles.
Cirrus Healthcare famous for creating healthcare products aimed at reducing ear-pressure, to prevent or treat some of the most prevalent and devastating ear conditions in the world.
These products, in this case, EarPlanes, have also been verified by the US Navy aviators. This means that they are safe for consumers’ use.
So if you normally have ear pain during flights, you might want to try EarPlanes for a change.
How Do EarPlanes Work
Now that we know what they are, how then do these Earplanes work? Well, these items comprise of two components:
- A hypoallergenic silicone earplug
- A ceramic pressure regulator
The first component (silicone earplug), comes with four circumferential rings, that offers an airtight lid between it and the ear canal.
The second component (ceramic pressure regulator), is a controlled permeability filter. One end of this filter faces the exterior cabin pressure, while the other side faces the sealed chamber resulting from the insertion of the earplug.
As the air pressure in the cabin changes, it creates a pressure differential throughout the ceramic filter, which causes air to flow across the filter. The filter serves to impede the air from flowing in and out of your ear canal. And, with a more gradual shift in air pressure, less stress is exerted to your eardrum, thus reducing the entire discomfort.
Discomfort especially occurs when your Eustachian tube(s) is blocked or swollen. This is because the air pressure variations from a plane’s takeoff or landing are too fast for the swollen or blocked Eustachian tubes to adjust properly.
That’s why the EarPlanes are important devices to regulate those variations. They offer an opposite, equal impedance on the outer part of the middle ear, thus allowing some relief.
EarPlanes helps to reduce the pressure difference between the interior and exterior middle ear. This in return, enables the proper functioning of the Eustachian tubes.
The CeramX™ technology offers protection to your middle ear from the rapid air pressure shifts. This, in return, eliminates or minimizes the discomfort.
EarPlanes Review: Do EarPlanes Work with a Cold?
When you are having a cold, it means that your Eustachian tubes are either blocked or swollen. This will consequently cause discomfort and pain during a plane’s ascent or descent. A quality pair of EarPlanes can significantly make your flight enjoyable.
In fact, these earplugs are specifically designed for:
- Persons with sensitive ears
- Individuals who want to fly while having a cold
- People suffering from sinus condition or allergies
This means that they work perfectly even for individuals flying with a cold. And they are not only available for adults. They also have a pediatric version for kids between 1 and 11 years.
Can You Leave EarPlanes in the Entire Flight?
If you want to leave them in, there is no harm. However, it’s not necessary. Since the pressure changes occur mainly during landing or takeoff, you can put them on while ascending and again when landing.
As for me, I always put them on during landing and takeoff. For the rest of the journey, I usually take them off.
And, ever since I started using them, I don’t experience any pain or discomfort anymore. Whether I have a cold or not, these earplugs are excellent. They are the best gadgets in relieving ear discomfort, as well as congestion and popping during any flight.
But when should you take off the EarPlanes after takeoff? This should be done when the plane has reached the maximum altitude to ensure that there’s no more change in air pressure. You should then insert them back, about one hour to your plane’s landing time.
If you are traveling with your kids, you also don’t have to worry about them experiencing ear pain or discomfort. This is because EarPlanes also have products specifically designed for children. So, as you buy your pair of EarPlanes, you can also pick a pair for your kids.
And, just like in adults, the EarPlanes for kids help to reduce ear discomfort and pain, as well as relieve clogging and popping. The CeramX filter helps to filter the shift in air pressure naturally.
Other features of these EarPlanes for kids include:
- Made of drug-free, hypoallergenic silicone
- Available either in one or three pair options
- Ability to Minimize harsh noise
- Perfect for kids’ ears or individuals with tiny ears
If you always experience ear discomfort and pain during a plane’s ascent and descent, these products are incredible in ensuring that you have a peaceful flight.
Some of the main advantages of using these earplugs include:
- They relieve ear discomfort, congestion, or popping, through their unique ceramic filters
- For people with cold, sinus condition or allergies, EarPlanes will help make their flight experience bearable
- They are safe, comfortable to wear, and disposable
- Passed the test by the US Navy fliers, and recommended by doctors
- Available for both adults and children
- Comes with a seal from “The Good Housekeeping,” to prove they are genuine
- The products are affordable
- Perfect for a single round trip flight
- It contains soft hypoallergenic, silicone (latex-free) for those with sensitive skin
- Reduces overall noise when taking off or landing, by 20 decibels
- Cirrus Healthcare also manufactures some reusable EarPlanes which you can use for several trips
Despite the numerous benefits that EarPlanes offer, there are still some minor downsides based on customer reviews. These Earplanes cons include:
- The EarPlanes are sometimes uncomfortable to wear, although not much to hurt your ear
- People with small ears and large fingers may sometimes find it hard to remove them from their ears
- For the disposable ones, you need to buy new ones after every round trip. This is because the CeramX filter contains micron-sized pores, which may get clogged with particles rendering it ineffective.
Although I would swear by this product, it’s also good to hear some of the reviews from other customers who have used the EarPlanes. Here are some of those online reviews, which are just part of the over 1000 positive reviews of the product.
- “EarPlanes take all of the immense pain out of my ears when I fly. I was considering having surgery to fix the problem before I found these because nothing worked for me.”
- “Over the course of two weeks, I had to take six flights, two weeks after my eardrum burst on a flight. My doctor recommended some OTC drugs and these earplugs. They saved me from a lot of pain and ear damage.”
- “I cannot believe these actually work!! When I fly, I usually have such bad ear pain I’m in tears, and my ears are popping for days. This time I had no pain at all.”
- “They make flying tolerable when you have ear and sinus issues. They are very comfortable, and this is coming from someone who doesn’t like using earbuds.”
- “These are no joke! I have three kids, three and under, and these are essential to us for flying. No ear pain whatsoever.”
So, Do EarPlanes Work, And If they Do, What are the Benefits of Using Them?
When it comes to earplugs, I know the market offers numerous of them. Some are genuine and work perfectly, while others are not as effective. Some are also just gimmicky products out to reap the most from the public.
But, from my experience, plus the numerous positive online reviews, EarPlanes is one brand that I can recommend to anyone. I know different people may have different opinions, but EarPlanes really did work for me.
And if you’ve tried some others that have failed you, make sure to try this one out. They can really change your in-flight experience.
The reason why you should use them is that they are excellent products in alleviating the in-flight ear discomfort and pain.
They do so by blocking the harsh noise in the cabin, as well as helping the eardrums to manage the pressure shifts efficiently. For persons with Eustachian tube(s) problems, or those with colds, allergies or sinuses, EarPlanes offers natural air pressure adjustment to ensure comfort.
Also, attaining that peace and quietness from using EarPlanes can have various health benefits such as lowering the risk of:
- High blood pressure
- Insomnia and its related problems
- Obesity and its related conditions
The whole point is that, locking out that sound and regulating the air pressure has more benefits than you thought. Therefore, before you book a ticket for your next trip, make sure that you have a pair of these essential products.
Where to Buy EarPlanes?
If you want to purchase a pair of EarPlanes, you can try out these places:
- C&S Wholesale Grocers
- Boots Pharmaceuticals
- Harmon Stores
- Hudson News
- Cardinal Health
- Mckesson Drug
Conclusion on the EarPlanes Review
Although some people still prefer some other methods of dealing with ear pain during flights, EarPlanes seems to be the best solution for this problem. You don’t have to endure that excruciating pain every time you take a flight.
With this Earplanes review, we have outlined everything you need to know about the product. And, whether you are traveling to London or taking a day’s visit to New York, I hope that this helps to solve that ear problem completely.
- What is Travel Concierge: Things to Know
- 30 Cheap Places to Travel in [Ultimate Guide]
- 9 Best TSA Approved Locks for Travel
Via Travelers is a modern travel blog focused on helping you learn the best travel tips, travel hacks, and itineraries to explore the world. Find your wanderlust.