Ever dream of that fairytale moment? You can have it by staying in these best affordable castle hotels in Europe.
I’m all about history, a huge Downton Abbey fan, and love touring castles, palaces, and mansions. The closest I’ve ever stayed in something similar was a French chateau.
Travel back in time with these historic castle hotels. With travel hacking, you can travel the world and find that hotel you have always dreamed of staying in.
Table of Contents
- List of the Best (And Affordable) Castle Hotels in Europe
- 1. Historic Castle Hotel in Austria: Schloss Matzen
- 2. Affordable Fairytale Castle Hotel in Belgium: Chateau d’Hassonville
- 3. Historic Medieval Castle in England: Amberley Castle
- 4. Affordable Bed and Breakfast Castle in France: Prieure De La Chaise
- 5. Romantic and Historical Castle Hotel in Germany: Schönburg / Schoenburg
- 6. Destination Wedding Castle Hotel in Ireland: Kilkea
- 7. Historical Wine Resort and Hotel Castle in Italy: Castello di Lispida
- 8. Only Historical Castle Hotel in Luxembourg: Chateau d’Urspelt
- 9. Mysterious and Affordable Hotel Castle in Poland: Czocha Castle
- 10. Stay at an Affordable Hotel Castle in Portugal: Pousada Castelo Óbidos
- 11. Haunted Historical Castle Hotel in Scotland: Tulloch Castle
- 12. Romantic Hotel Castle in Spain: Posada Real Castillo del Buen Amor
- 13. Affordable Hotel Castle in Switzerland: Wartegg Castle
- Final Thoughts: Best Affordable Castle Hotels in Europe
- Which castle hotel is the most affordable?
- What is the best castle hotel for a romantic getaway?
- What is the best castle hotel for a family vacation?
- What is the best castle hotel for a group vacation?
List of the Best (And Affordable) Castle Hotels in Europe
If you’re traveling to Europe and looking for affordable castle hotels, here are our recommendations.
1. Historic Castle Hotel in Austria: Schloss Matzen
Matzen Castle is a 13th-century castle located in Matzen, Austria. The castle was originally built as a hunting lodge for the Austrian nobility and has since been converted into a hotel. The castle offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside and is within easy driving distance of Vienna.
The castle features 21 guest rooms and suites, all of which are furnished in a traditional style. The rooms and suites all have private bathrooms, and some also have balconies or terraces. Guests can dine at the castle’s restaurant, which serves Austrian and international cuisine.
The castle is located in Matzen Park, which is home to a variety of activities such as hiking, cycling, and horseback riding. The park also has a number of lakes, which are perfect for swimming during the summer months.
If you’re looking for a fairytale castle hotel experience, Matzen Castle is the perfect place for you. With its stunning setting, traditional style, and excellent amenities, the castle is sure to make your stay in Austria unforgettable.
Features you’ll love:
- 12th-century castle built featuring Romanesque architecture
- Located in the Tyrol mountains near Brixlegg in the Alps
- Only 45 minutes from Vienna
- Ancient staircase
- Luxurious antique marble bathrooms
- Rooms named after former owners
- Schloss Matzen has a beautiful courtyard
- Complimentary wifi
- Flatscreen TV, minibar, and phone in all rooms
- Historic tower from 1150 features a modern spa
- Finnish sauna and Turkish steam bath
Nearby attractions include plenty of outdoor activities in Matzen Park, such as hiking, cycling, and horseback riding. You can also explore the many lakes in the park or take a swim in them during the summer months. If you’re interested in history, you can visit some of the nearby castles, such as Burgruine Aggstein and Burg Hasegg.
You can also visit Rattenberg, a small medieval historical town 1.6 miles away from the castle that has numerous glass crafts shops.
2. Affordable Fairytale Castle Hotel in Belgium: Chateau d’Hassonville
Looking for a fairytale destination? Chateau d’Hassonville in Belgium is the perfect place for a magical getaway. Set amidst beautiful gardens, this 13th-century castle has been carefully restored to provide all the modern amenities while still retaining its old-world charm.
Guests can choose from a variety of accommodations, including suites and apartments, all of which are furnished with period furniture and antiques. The castle also features a restaurant, bar, and spa, making it the perfect place to relax and rejuvenate.
Whether you’re looking for a romantic escape or a family-friendly vacation, Chateau d’Hassonville is sure to exceed your expectations. Book your stay today and let the fairytale begin!
Features you’ll love:
- Fairytale setting for this 17th-century chateau
- Legend says it was the hunting grounds for King Louis XIV
- Nearly 136 acres filled with private walking paths nestled in the Ardennes Forest
- Lots of turrets
- Chateau d’Hassonville is equipped with Modern amenities
- Onsite restaurant with wine cellar
- Wooden barrel sauna
- Wooden outdoor hot tub
- Game room including billiards, and ping-pong
- Rooms from $169
Some of the attractions near Chateau d’Hassonville that you won’t want to miss include the charming medieval town of Marche, which is located just a few minutes away. This town is home to numerous wine shops and restaurants, making it the perfect place to indulge in some delicious Belgian cuisine.
See Related: Best Places to Visit in Belgium
3. Historic Medieval Castle in England: Amberley Castle
Amberley Castle is a beautiful and affordable option for those looking for a fairytale castle hotel in Europe. The castle is located in West Sussex, England, and offers guests stunning views of the nearby South Downs National Park. Rooms start at just $117 per night, making it a budget-friendly option for those looking to experience a real-life fairytale.
Features you’ll love:
- 900 years of history nestled in the Sussex countryside
- A humble beginning as a timber-framed hunting lodge built in 1103
- Later transformed into a fortified manor, which still has many of its original features
- A high curtain wall enclosing the castle
- Battlements on top of the castle walls (parapet and gaps to launch arrows back in the day)
- Portcullis restored (vertical gate with a latticed grill)
- Only 60 miles from London and 35 miles from Gatwick Airport
- 12 acres of formal gardens featuring medieval stonework, rose-covered arches, and a koi pond
- Amberley Castle has an 18-hole putting course, tennis court, and croquet field
- Greeted by suits of armor
- Drawing room
- Several castles in nearby Sussex to tour as well as museums and small towns
- Rooms as low as $168
There are a number of attractions near Amberley Castle that are worth checking out. For example, the beautiful South Downs National Park is just a short drive away and offers stunning views and plenty of hiking and biking trails to explore.
4. Affordable Bed and Breakfast Castle in France: Prieure De La Chaise
Prieure De La Chaise is a magnificent castle hotel located in the Loire Valley, France. It’s one of the most affordable castles in Europe and offers a fairy tale experience for those who stay there.
The hotel features luxurious rooms and suites, as well as beautiful gardens and an impressive pool. It’s located in a beautiful rural setting and offers guests a chance to stay in a real castle at a fraction of the cost.
The Prieure is also home to an impressive art collection, and guests can enjoy tours of the property and its grounds.
Features you’ll love:
- Regal stone manor dating back to the 15th century
- Converted into a 5-room B&B with antiques
- A private cottage is also available
- Chapel of the 12th century is listed as a historical monument
- Surrounded by a park with an on-property vineyard
- Located near Chateau de Chenonceau, one of the best-known Loire castles
- Prieure De La Chaise is decorated in Renaissance style throughout
- A 15th-century spiral staircase leads to three of the rooms
- Modern amenities include air conditioning, en-suite bathrooms, free Wi-Fi and mini-fridges
- Offers an outdoor pool and bike rentals
- Room rates are as low as $111 (includes continental breakfast)
There are a number of attractions near Prieure De La Chaise that are worth checking out. For example, you can visit The 16th-century Château de Chenonceau or check out some medieval Abbeys. There are many charming villages nearby to see as well.
You can check out koalas, tigers, pandas, and other animals at the Beauval Zoo, and admire miniature castles at the Mini Chateaux park.
If you are with kids, there are several mini attractions for children including dressing up as knights and princesses, rides, and an inflatable playground.
5. Romantic and Historical Castle Hotel in Germany: Schönburg / Schoenburg
Schönburg castle is a fairytale-like structure that is definitely worth a visit if you’re looking for an affordable and enchanting castle hotel in Europe.
This 12th-century castle has been beautifully restored and is now used as a hotel, offering spectacular views of the surrounding countryside. Schönburg castle is also home to a museum that details the history of the castle and its owners, as well as a restaurant serving traditional German cuisine.
The rooms at the castle are all individually decorated, and many of them have wonderful four-poster beds. If you’re looking for a truly unforgettable experience, a stay at Schönburg castle is sure to exceed your expectations.
Features you’ll love:
- 56 miles from the city of Frankfurt
- First mentioned in history between 911 and 1166
- The original castle was destroyed by fire in 1689 and remained in ruins for two centuries before being restored in the late 1800s until 1914.
- One of the very few medieval castles where all the sons became heirs to the castle after a duke’s death, rather than just the eldest
- Beautiful views of the Rhine River
- Bedrooms feature four-poster beds with canopies and curtains
- Beautiful private castle garden with stone pathways, brooks, and pedestrian bridges
- Schönburg / Schoenburg has an on-site restaurant with inside or terraces seating overlooking the Rhine River
- Reduced admission to Old Gate Tower Museum, which tells its 700-year history. It features a giant slingshot simulation and offers an incredible view of the Rhine River from the tower’s observation deck
- Rates begin at around $283
There are a number of attractions near Schönburg that are worth checking out. For example, you can visit nearby medieval towns starting with Oberursel, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site of the Upper Middle Rhine Valley.
You can also check out other medieval castles in the area, or take a trip down the Rhine River to enjoy the views.
See Related: Best Family Vacation Ideas in Germany
6. Destination Wedding Castle Hotel in Ireland: Kilkea
Kilkea Castle is a beautiful and affordable castle hotel in Ireland. It is located in the lush green countryside of County Kildare and offers guests a wonderful opportunity to experience authentic Irish charm and hospitality.
The castle has been in the same family for over 800 years and has been beautifully restored and updated into a modern castle hotel.
Features you’ll love:
- The castle dates back to 1180 and sits on 180 acres
- Only a one-hour drive from Dublin (see some other coastal towns in Ireland)
- 140-bedroom resort offers many options for all budgets
- Multiple bedroom types: Castle bedroom, Carriage bedroom, Self-catering lodge, and Lodge bedroom
- 11-bedroom secluded castle available for exclusive hire
- Kilkea has an on-site restaurant where you can have a romantic medieval Irish dinner
- Activities offered include golfing, archery, horseback riding, fishing, spa, tennis, and falconry
- Hiking and walking paths only minutes from the ancient Mullaghreelan Woods
- Moon High Cross Inn, an authentic Irish pub only one mile away dates back to the 9th century
- Rates as low as $170
Kilkea Castle is located in a beautiful, rural setting that offers plenty of outdoor activities for visitors. Hiking, fishing, and biking are all popular pastimes in the area, and there are also plenty of historical sites and charming villages to explore nearby.
A luxurious alternative would be Ashford castle in Ireland. These are some other castles in Ireland you can’t miss on a day tour.
See Related: Cheap Castles in Ireland
7. Historical Wine Resort and Hotel Castle in Italy: Castello di Lispida
The Castello di Lispida is one of the most affordable castle hotels in Europe. It is located in the Veneto region of Italy and features beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. The hotel is also home to a number of medieval-era castles and ruins, which guests can explore.
The Castello di Lispida is open all year round. However, the best time to visit is between May and September, when the weather is warmest. The Castello di Lispida is located in the Veneto region of Italy, approximately 30 kilometers from Venice.
Features you’ll love:
- The castle dates back to 1150
- It was the home of a monastery until 1792
- Headquarters for King Vittorio Emanuele during WWI
- Located in the Euganean Hills Natural Park with free walking and bike trails
- Studio, one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartments with antique furniture, in-room kitchen, living room, and bathroom, all with free Wi-Fi, and air conditioning, with some featuring vintage clawfoot tubs, jetted tubs, wood stoves, washing machines, and billiard room
- Open fireplace for grilling
- Free on-site orchard picking
- 222 acres of grounds include a wine bar, a thermal lake with hot springs thermal hot tub, and a covered heated pool
- Castello di Lispida provides free bikes (including a tandem bike)
- $186 to $271 a night (depending on the type of apartment)
Near Castello di Lispida, there are many attractions that are worth visiting. One of these is the Abbey of San Michele Arcangelo, which is a beautiful abbey with a rich history. It is located only a few miles from the castle and is definitely worth a visit.
You can also visit the Castle of Monselice, the medieval village of Arquà Petrarca, go golfing or try the mud-therapy spas nearby.
8. Only Historical Castle Hotel in Luxembourg: Chateau d’Urspelt
Chateau d’Urspelt is a fairytale castle hotel in the heart of the Luxembourg Ardennes. It’s the perfect destination for a romantic getaway, with its beautiful surroundings and luxurious accommodation.
The chateau has been lovingly restored and features all the modern amenities you could need, including a heated pool, sauna, and fitness room. There’s also a cozy bar and restaurant on-site, where you can enjoy traditional Luxembourg cuisine.
Germans used the castle as their WWII headquarters for northern Luxembourg until they were forced to abandon it to the Americans during the Battle of the Bulge in 1944.
Features you’ll love:
- The only castle hotel in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg dates back to the 18th century and is classified as a national monument
- Fairytale setting in Natural Park of Our in the northern part of Luxembourg – the border triangle of Belgium, Germany, and Luxembourg
- Located just outside the medieval city of Cherveaux
- Urspelt is restored as a luxury hotel in 2005
- On-site, socially-responsible restaurant and bar features French cuisine and vegan options made with organic and fair-trade ingredients
- The restaurant offers indoor or outdoor terrace seating
- Features 57 modern rooms and suites, a seasonal outdoor pool, spa, hot tub, and sauna
- Rates from $90 to $242 a night
This fairytale-like chateau is set in the beautiful rolling hills of the Moselle Valley in Luxembourg and is surrounded by vineyards and forests.
Some of the highlights of a stay at Chateau d’Urspelt include spending time in the lovely gardens, relaxing in the spa, enjoying a drink on the terrace, taking a tour of the winery, and exploring the local area.
The chateau is also home to an impressive collection of art and antiques, which guests can admire during their stay.
See Related: Best & Most Beautiful Cities in Europe to Visit
9. Mysterious and Affordable Hotel Castle in Poland: Czocha Castle
Czocha Castle is a beautiful, well-preserved castle in Poland that’s perfect for a romantic getaway. It’s set in a picturesque location on the edge of a lake and surrounded by forests and features luxurious accommodations and all the amenities you could need.
The castle has been lovingly restored and features period furniture and decor. There’s also a restaurant on-site, where you can enjoy traditional Polish cuisine.
Czocha Castle grounds are a popular wedding venue and often host medieval-themed events. It’s also home to the International School of Protocol, which offers courses in etiquette and protocol.
Features you’ll love
- The 13th-century castle is only a minute walk away from the shores of Lake Lesnia
- Nearby: Kaplica Św. Leopolda, a 17th-century chapel
- Seven themed rooms
- Due to its historic character, 10 guest rooms do not include a bathroom; instead, there is a communal shower located in the corridor
- The restaurant features Old Polish cuisine prepared from scratch using regional ingredients
- Czocha Castle features a seasonal bar that also offers light snacks and beverages
- There is an on-site spa with a sauna and a menu of massages
- Night tour of the castle reveals hidden nooks, torture chambers, and mysterious secret passages
- Rates as low as $20 a night
If you’re looking for things to do near Czocha Castle, you won’t be disappointed. There are plenty of activities and attractions in the area that will keep you busy.
For example, you can take a tour of the castle itself or explore the surrounding countryside. If you’re interested in history, you can visit the nearby town of Leśna, which is home to a museum and several historic buildings.
And if you’re looking for a bit of excitement, you can always go hiking or mountain biking in the nearby forests. So whatever your interests, you’ll find plenty to do near Czocha Castle.
10. Stay at an Affordable Hotel Castle in Portugal: Pousada Castelo Óbidos
If you’re looking for an affordable castle hotel in Europe, look no further than Pousada Castelo Óbidos in Portugal. This beautiful hotel is located in the medieval town of Óbidos and offers guests stunning views of the castle and the river below.
Pousada Castelo Óbidos is a popular destination for weddings and honeymoons, and with good reason – its intimate setting and luxurious accommodations make it the perfect place to celebrate love.
This Castle was given as a wedding present by King D. Dinis to Queen Santa Isabel during their wedding at the castle. There are eleven rooms in the castle with three of them in the castle keep, which is located within a courtyard and surrounded by a curtain wall.
- This is a medieval castle from the 15th century is only 70 miles from Lisbon
- Some rooms in Pousada Castelo Óbidos feature four-poster beds, a fireplace, historical vaulted ceilings, tiled walls, and ogival doors, which feature the curved, pointed shape of a gothic arch
- Medieval theme with stone walls
- There are more than 1,000 years of history in this region
- On-property restaurant, bar, and esplanade
- Amenities include free Wi-Fi, minibar, dressing gown, and air conditioning
- Room rates begin at $203 a night
There are several activities nearby, this includes water sports, sailing schools, golf, horseback riding, boat, and rowing trips, and fishing.
See Related: Best Apps & Websites to Book Hotels in Europe
11. Haunted Historical Castle Hotel in Scotland: Tulloch Castle
Located in the Scottish Highlands, this castle dates back to the 12th century and offers stunning views of The Cromarty Firth and Black Isle. It has been in the hands of the same family for over 700 years and is now open to the public.
The hotel has 40 bedrooms, each with its own unique character and history. There are also several event spaces available for hire, including the grand ballroom, which can accommodate up to 250 guests.
The castle is set on beautiful grounds and has stunning views over the surrounding countryside. It is the perfect place to stay if you want to feel like royalty for a few days!
Tulloch Castle has a secret tunnel that leads from the basement across town to the ancient Dingwall Castle. Unfortunately, it’s now closed as it has caved in and is considered dangerous.
- Features a 250-year-old paneled Great Hall, restored original fireplaces and ceilings
- Word in the castle says one of its guests is a resident ghost known as The Green Lady, thought to be the daughter of a former owner
- Twenty charming bedrooms, some with four-poster beds and others perfect for families
- The castle is dog-friendly and offers modern amenities like coffee and tea-making facilities and laundry services
- On-site restaurant and bar
- Loch Ness is only 28 miles away
- Rates average $141 a night (some as low as $77)
The Loch Ness Monster Museum is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the area. It is home to various exhibits about the Loch Ness Monster, as well as a gift shop and cafe.
If you’re looking for something a little more outdoorsy, then the Caledonian Canal Heritage Trail might be more your speed. This trail follows the Caledonian Canal and provides beautiful views of the surrounding countryside.
Finally, if you’re looking for someplace to eat, The Inn at Tulloch Castle is a great option. It offers traditional Scottish cuisine in a beautiful setting.
12. Romantic Hotel Castle in Spain: Posada Real Castillo del Buen Amor
If you’re looking for an affordable castle hotel in Europe, Posada Real Castillo del Buen Amor is a great choice. This hotel is situated in the heart of Andalusia, Spain, and offers guests stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
In addition to its picturesque setting, Posada Real Castillo del Buen Amor also features luxurious accommodations and a wide range of amenities. Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway or a family vacation, this castle hotel is sure to please.
- Translated as ‘Castle of Good Love’
- Located two hours from Madrid
- Surrounded by vineyards and a formal garden featuring a vegetable maze/labyrinth
- Each bedroom is adapted to its original construction
- Traditional restaurant or private dining room in the tower room
- Medieval fireplace and library
- Modern-day luxuries: pool, free wi-fi, and air conditioning, room service, mini bar, concierge, non-smoking, breakfast included
- Rates: $113 to $217
Andalusia is full of historic buildings and Spanish culture. Nearby attractions include the Alhambra Palace, the Generalife Gardens, and the Cathedral of Granada.
See Related: Airwander Review
13. Affordable Hotel Castle in Switzerland: Wartegg Castle
Wartegg Castle is a fairytale-like castle in the Swiss Alps that is known for its breathtaking views and luxurious amenities. Despite its upscale feel, Wartegg Castle is surprisingly affordable, making it a great option for those who are looking for a luxurious yet affordable European getaway.
Some of the castle’s amenities include a heated pool, a sauna, and a wine cellar.
Features you will love:
- The first Swiss Historic Hotel in Eastern Switzerland
- A castle rich in history, it dates back to 1557
- Located next to Lake Constance and a 32-acre English park
- 25 modern, minimalist rooms with views of Lake Constance and the Swiss Alps
- Mini suite and family room available
- On-site organic restaurant with a garden terrace
- The spa features a 5.5-meter historic turquoise bath, sauna, and massages
- Wartegg Castle features a playground and children’s room
- Organic breakfast is included in the room rate from $175 a night
Wartegg Castle is located in the middle of a beautiful and tranquil forest, making it the perfect place to get away from it all. However, there are plenty of attractions located close by that guests can enjoy.
Just a few minutes’ walk from the castle is the Warteggsee Lake, which is a great spot for swimming, fishing, and boating. There are also several hiking trails located in the area, which offer stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
See Related: Best Credit Cards For Travel Perks
Final Thoughts: Best Affordable Castle Hotels in Europe
Your dream moment is just around the corner. Staying in one of these hotels will provide an everlasting and life-changing experience. Travel is one of the most enlightening experiences that you can enjoy in the modern world.
Go out and explore some of these castle hotels to see the world while traveling back in time.
What do you think are the best affordable castle hotels in Europe?
Let us know in the comments below.
Which castle hotel is the most affordable?
Czocha Castle is the most affordable castle hotel on our list, with rates starting at just $20 per night.
What is the best castle hotel for a romantic getaway?
If you’re looking for a romantic getaway, we recommend Wartegg Castle. This castle hotel is located in the Swiss Alps and features stunning views and luxurious amenities.
What is the best castle hotel for a family vacation?
Posada Real Castillo del Buen Amor is the perfect castle hotel for a family vacation. This affordable castle hotel features a wide range of amenities, including a heated pool, a playground, and a children’s room.
What is the best castle hotel for a group vacation?
If you’re looking for a castle hotel that can accommodate a large group, we recommend Kilkea Castle. This castle hotel features historic charm, spacious suites and a variety of on-site amenities, making it the perfect place to stay for a group vacation.
Other Castle Guides
- Top Sites for Booking Tours
- Best Affordable Overwater Bungalows
- Cheap Destinations to Explore
- Do Hotels Accept Cash?
Use Skyscanner to book the cheapest flight possible. Skyscanner is my favorite flight search engine as you can find flights around the globe and from every airline possible. You'll be in great shape to get the best price possible.
You must grab a free trial or join Scott's Cheap Flights Premium to get cheap flight alerts directly to your email inbox. My favorite cheap flight alert was 25,000 Delta SkyMiles to London non-stop.