Finding the right travel gear can often feel like an epic challenge, especially when it comes to fitting everything you need into a small space, like an overhead compartment or an overstuffed car. If this struggle sounds all too familiar, then the rolling duffel bag may offer the perfect solution for you.
The best travel duffel bags with wheels combine all the best features of a standard duffel with the practicality of rolling luggage. You’ll find them available in a wide variety of sizes, materials, and designs, making it much easier to find the most suitable wheeled duffel for your needs.
Not only are they much lighter than the average suitcase, but many of the best wheeled duffel bags come with plenty of external pockets, separate packing compartments, and other handy features.
Ready to find your next favorite piece of travel gear? We’ve compiled a list of some of the best rolling duffel bags on the market to help make your search easier. As we review each rolling duffel, we’ll fill you in on the key details such as the size, weight, durability, and more.
What We Cover
- Our Picks: Top Travel Duffel Bags With Wheels
- 1. Gonex Rolling Duffel Bag
- 2. Travelers Club 30-Inch Rolling Duffel Bag
- 3. David King & Co. 20-Inch Rolling Duffel
- 4. Vera Bradley Recycled Foldable Rolling Duffel Bag
- 5. REI Co-op Big Haul Rolling Duffel Bag
- 6. Osprey 130L Shuttle Wheeled Duffel Bag
- 7. Patagonia Black Hole Wheeled Duffel Bag
- 8. Briggs and Riley Medium Two-Wheeled Duffel
- 9. Briggs & Riley ZDX 21” International Carry-On Wheeled Duffle Bag
- 10. Travelpro Roadtrip Rolling Duffel Bag with Packing Cubes
- 11. Bold™ by Travelpro® 30″ Check-In Expandable Rolling Duffel
- The Rundown of our Top Rolling Duffel bags
- What Are the Best Features to Look for in a Rolling Duffel Bag?
- Materials and Quality
- Wheeled Duffel Bag FAQs
- What are the advantages of a duffel bag with wheels?
- How to properly clean and maintain a travel duffel bag with wheels?
Our Picks: Top Travel Duffel Bags With Wheels
Let’s dive right in and help you find the perfect rolling duffel bag for your needs! Whether you’re looking for a high-end wheeled duffel designed to last a lifetime or an affordable option with plenty of durability, we’ve got a good suggestion for you.
1. Gonex Rolling Duffel Bag
The Gonex Rolling Duffle Bag shows that you don’t have to spend a fortune to enjoy a high-quality rolling duffel built to go wherever the road may take you. The 33″ model comes with 100L worth of packing space, which is enough to carry everything you need for a trip as long as ten days.
The large main compartment caught our attention, and it also comes with an interior zip mesh pocket, a large external pocket with zippers, and a handy quick-access pocket that’s perfect for storing keys and electronics. Its exterior compression straps are designed to keep your belongings nice and snug, while the in-lined, sturdy wheels can handle multiple types of terrain.
Made from waterproof, high-density PVC fabric, the Gonex rolling duffle bag is a solid choice for everyday travel and outdoor adventure. Along with the telescoping alloy handle, you’ll also find top, side, and bottom handles that make it easy to grab and go.
- Despite its generous capacity, it weighs just under 11 lbs.
- The multi-terrain wheels and sturdy, waterproof material make it a good choice for camping
- Enough room for up to ten days’ worth of luggage
- It can get pretty heavy when fully packed (there’s also a smaller 25″ version available)
- Too large for the overhead compartment of some airlines
2. Travelers Club 30-Inch Rolling Duffel Bag
Looking for the best travel duffel bag with wheels that won’t break the bank? When it comes to the best budget pick, the Travelers Club Xpedition 30-Inch Rolling Duffel Bag is at the top of our list.
Weighing in at just over 6 lbs, this upright wheeled duffel bag comes with an impressive amount of interior space and more exterior zippered pocket space than you’ve ever dreamed possible. Available in a wide range of fun colors and outfitted with an in-line blade wheel system, it offers many of the same features as pricier duffel bags at a fraction of the price.
Constructed from 600D polyester, it features a telescoping handle as well as top and rear handles. The tri-fold bottom board makes it easy to compress and stash away for easy storage.
- Amazing price
- Lots of zippered external pockets
- Covered by manufacturer’s warranty
- It could be too large to use as a carry-on
- Sturdy construction, but may not be as long-lasting as pricier options
3. David King & Co. 20-Inch Rolling Duffel
If you’re on the hunt for a good-looking bag that’s perfect for weekend trips, then check out this leather rolling duffel bag from David King & Co. An Amazon favorite, it comes with a large u-shaped zippered opening and a spacious interior.
Two zippered exterior pockets offer extra space and easy accessibility. Cruise along in style with the retractable handle or use the side or double-hand strap handles to grab it and go.
While the Amazon listing is not super detailed, the bag has garnered plenty of solid reviews from users who loved its mixture of space and style. Want a little extra space or added features like a shoulder strap? Check out the 22-inch version from the same company.
- The classic exterior makes it a good choice for business trips
- Spacious main compartment and extra pockets offer a surprising amount of room
- Sturdy construction
- While it weighs in at around 10 lbs, some users complained that the leather made it a bit heavy
- Amazon listing could be much more detailed
See Related: Best Camera Bags for Travel
4. Vera Bradley Recycled Foldable Rolling Duffel Bag
If you need a weekend bag that’s easy on both the eyes and the planet, then it’s Vera Bradley to the rescue. The Vera Bradley Foldable Rolling Duffle has a few things going for it, on top of the fact that it comes in two adorable designs.
The first is that it’s about as eco-friendly as it gets, given that its lightweight, water-repellent material is made from recycled water bottles. With a weight of just under 6 lbs and dimensions of 13″ x 21″ x 10″, it’s a perfect little pack for a weekend getaway.
While its handy fold-up features are great for storage, the Vera Bradley duffel bag offers a surprising amount of storage space. The zippered main compartment comes with two mesh pockets, while the exterior boasts a large zippered pocket and a zip-up base compartment that’s suitable for storing shoes.
- Made from recycled water bottles for a lightweight, water-resistant finish that’s soft to the touch
- Comes in two stylish patterns
- Smooth-rolling wheels, retractable handle, and a 90″ strap drop
- Might not fit carry-on size requirements
- Some users longed for additional height settings on the retractable handle
5. REI Co-op Big Haul Rolling Duffel Bag
Are you on the search for a large, tough bag that’s up for any adventure you throw at it? Look no further than the REI Co-op Big Haul Recycled Rolling Duffel. Weighing just over 9 lbs, with dimensions of 34 x 16 x 15 inches, this bad boy is designed to hold up to 109 L worth of luggage or travel gear.
Made from recycled ripstop nylon, the Big Haul comes outfitted with oversized and treaded wheels that laugh in the face of rugged terrain. Not only will the bag’s built-in compression straps support large loads, but it even comes with piggyback clips designed to attach to other luggage.
Built with adventurers in mind, the Big Haul offers a massive main compartment, four external pockets, and a daisy chain with lash points for attaching extra gear. Use the telescoping handle to roll it along or grab one of the side, front, or end handles for easy loading and unloading.
- Made from recycled materials that meet Bluesign® criteria
- Oversized wheels made to handle rough terrain
- Plenty of storage space
- Some users complained of durability, while others had no issues (Keep in mind REI has a 1-year 100% satisfaction guarantee)
- Definitely not a carry-on duffel bag
6. Osprey 130L Shuttle Wheeled Duffel Bag
But the cool thing about the massive rolling duffel is that it also has adjustable straight jacket compression straps, which can be adjusted to make it suitable for hauling smaller loads. The large zippered main compartment offers padded sidewalls, several fabric and mesh pockets, and plenty of space for anything from climbing gear to half your wardrobe.
Stash your essentials in the easy-access top zippered pockets, organize your gear in the large collapsible lower panel, and enjoy the extra space offered by the two rear zippered pockets. With a large base chassis and oversized wheels, the Osprey Shuttle is one of the most heavy-duty rolling duffels on the market.
- 130L worth of space, but the compression straps make it easy to use as a smaller bag if you like
- The durable exterior and padded interior make it a top choice for bulky gear
- The bottom compartment and multiple pockets make it easy to stay organized
- Some reviewers complain that the telescoping handle could be longer
- Great quality but a little pricey
See Related: Osprey Backpacks Review: Are They Worth It?
7. Patagonia Black Hole Wheeled Duffel Bag
When it comes to the best wheeled duffel bags that will actually qualify to be used as a carry-on, the 40 L Patagonia Black Hole Wheeled Duffel fits the bill. We’re not gonna lie – the 7 lb bag is a bit pricey, but that hasn’t stopped it from racking up rave reviewers.
Made from 100% recycled ripstop fabric, not only is the Patagonia Black Hole Wheeled Duffel weather resistant, but it’s incredibly durable and built to last. The zippered top U-flap opens to a spacious interior with internal compression straps, two mesh pockets, and plenty of packing space.
Store your essentials in the easy-access front zippered pocket, use the daisy chain to connect it to other luggage, and rest assured that the sturdy frame will keep your luggage safe from rough bagging handlers. With large, all-terrain wheels and a telescoping handle, the Black Hole Wheeled Duffel is among the most popular carry-on duffels out there.
- Made from super durable, 100% recycled materials
- Fits carry-on requirements of most major airlines
- Compact bag with plenty of storage
See Related: BÉIS Luggage Review: Are They Worth the Price?
8. Briggs and Riley Medium Two-Wheeled Duffel
Want to roll up with the Rolls Royce of wheeled duffel bags? Head over to Briggs and Riley and check out their Medium Two-Wheel Duffel. The exterior is made from high-grade ballistic nylon, complete with premium leather top and side handles and a telescoping handle made from aircraft-grade aluminum.
With a weight of just over 10 lbs and 27 x 14 x 16.5 dimensions, this rolling duffel bag is so well made that it literally comes with a lifetime guarantee. The best part is that it offers two separate packing compartments; a flat packing space and a duffel section with garment-securing panels.
There’s also a gusseted exterior zippered pocket for easy access to essentials. While it’s certainly on the pricey side, this thing is built so well you’re great-grandkids will be able to use it someday.
- Good build quality
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- Multiple compartments that combine all the best features of a rolling suitcase and duffel bag
- Outsider® handle doesn’t interfere with the interior capacity
- Definitely an investment
- Probably not the kind of thing you’ll want to drag down a trail
9. Briggs & Riley ZDX 21” International Carry-On Wheeled Duffle Bag
Feast your eyes on the king of all carry-on duffels when you check out the ZDX 21” International Carry-On Wheeled Duffle Bag. The 7.4 lb bag features carry-on friendly dimensions of 21 x14 x9 and a spacious 40 L capacity.
The Briggs & Riley Outsider® handle is a brilliant feature that doesn’t interfere with packing space, while the large top pocket comes with RFID shielding to protect your wallet from digital pickpockets. Enjoy the effortless access of a wheeled duffel bag with an easy-access front slip pocket and a zip-around side pocket that’s great for storing smaller items.
On the back, you’ll find a power battery storage pocket, complete with a pass-through USB cord that makes charging a breeze. Made from wear-resistant ballistic nylon, self-repairing YKK® zippers, and two top mesh carry handles, this beautiful carry-on will last a lifetime.
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- Amazing quality, not to mention a seriously good-looking rolling duffel bag
- We love the battery storage pocket on the back
See Related: Best Personal Item Bags for Travelers
10. Travelpro Roadtrip Rolling Duffel Bag with Packing Cubes
Looking for a wheeled duffel bag that can help you stay organized on your next trip? Check out the Roadtrip 30″ Drop-Bottom Rolling Duffel Bag, which comes with three large removable packing cubes for the main compartment plus a separate drop-down bottom compartment.
With overall dimensions of 15 x 30 x 15, this eight-pound rolling duffel bag offers a massive 137L worth of total space. Made from water-resistant high-density polyester, corner plates, and reinforced wheel housings, the Travelpro Roadtrip is built to last.
It’s also a great choice for taller travelers, as the aircraft-grade, aluminum telescoping handle can be adjusted to a maximum height of 42.5″. With large exterior pockets and adjustable internal compression straps, the Travelpro Roadtrip is our pick if you’re looking for a lightweight yet durable piece of wheeled luggage.
- Comes with a 100 trial and 5-year limited warranty
- An incredibly roomy duffel bag at an unbeatable price
- Included packing cube set of three 9 x 14 x 10 removable cubes
- Some reviewers complained that the lack of a bottom strap made it hard to load and unload
- Quite large and bulky
11. Bold™ by Travelpro® 30″ Check-In Expandable Rolling Duffel
Travelpro’s Bold™Expandable Rolling Duffel is yet another great duffel bag that’s built for anything from camping trips to international cruises. Weighing in around 11 lbs, with dimensions of 30 x 15 x 16, this is one rolling duffel bag that guarantees that space will never be an issue.
With 118 L worth of storage capacity, its drop-bottom compartment can be used as a secondary compartment, or you can unzip the divider between the top and bottom compartments to create one ultra-large storage space. One of the exterior pockets also serves as a wet pouch, which is perfect for storing damp or dirty laundry.
The exterior compression straps and plastic buckles make it possible to rein in the bag’s ample bulk if needed, and the multiple padded straps make loading and unloading easy. Made from moisture-resistant high-density polyester fabric, reinforced wheel housings, and an adjustable aircraft-grade telescoping handle, the Bold Rolling Duffel comes backed by the Travelpro® Built For A Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- Comes in multiple colors
- Rugged, durable, and incredibly roomy
- Exterior pocket for damp or dirty laundry
- So big it may exceed the checked bag limit of some airlines
- Doesn’t completely flatten, which is not the best for storage
See Related: Best Car Seat Travel Bags to Buy Today
The Rundown of our Top Rolling Duffel bags
|Gonex Rolling Duffel Bag
|15.94 x 14.96 x 33.46 inches
|1200D high-density PVC fabric
|Best Waterproof Duffel Bag with Wheels
|Travelers Club 30-Inch Rolling Duffel Bag
|31 x 14 x 4.3 inches
|Best Budget Rolling Duffel
|David King & Co. 20-Inch Rolling Duffel
|10.5 x 20 x 10.5 inches
|Best Business Travel Duffel
|Vera Bradley Recycled Foldable Rolling Duffel Bag
|13 x 21 x 10 inches
|Fabric made from recycled water bottles
|Best Eco-Friendly Duffel
|REI Co-op Big Haul Rolling Duffel Bag
|34 x 16 x 15 inches
|9 lbs. 11 oz
|Recycled ripstop nylon
|Best Large Duffel With Wheels for Outdoor Adventure
|Osprey 130L Shuttle Wheeled Duffel Bag
|36 x 16 x 15 inches
|Ballistic nylon and polyester
|Best for Hauling Gear
|Patagonia Black Hole Wheeled Duffel Bag
|21.6 x 14 x 9.5 inches
|100% recycled polyester with a PU Coating
|Best Carry-On Friendly Camping Duffel With Wheels
|Briggs and Riley Medium Two-Wheeled Duffel
|27 x 14 x 16.5 inches
|Ballistic nylon, leather handles
|Best Premium Rolling Duffel
|Briggs & Riley ZDX 21” International Carry-On Wheeled Duffle Bag
|21 x 14 x 9 inches
|Ballistic nylon, mesh
|Best Premium Carry-On
|Travelpro Roadtrip Rolling Duffel Bag with Packing Cubes
|15 x 30 x 15 inches
|High-density polyester fabric
|Best Rolling Duffel Bag for Organization
|Bold™ by Travelpro® 30″ Check-In Expandable Rolling Duffel
|30 x 15 x 16
|High-density polyester fabric
|Best Mid-Range Rolling Duffel for Versatility
What Are the Best Features to Look for in a Rolling Duffel Bag?
Given how many rolling duffels there are on the market, how are you supposed to make the right choice for you? While the answer will be a little different for everyone, we’ll clue you in on some of the most important features to take into consideration.
Size is one of the most important considerations when vetting rolling duffels for a few reasons. The first is pretty obvious – you want to make sure you have plenty of room for everything you’ll want to carry on your trip.
If you want to get the best value for your money, try to think about how much you regularly pack for the average trip. If you’re a frequent international traveler with three kids, then by all means, go ahead and invest in that massive 130L option.
But if you’re a less frequent traveler who’s packing for a camping trip with a few friends, you may be better off going with several smaller duffel bags than one oversized one. You’ll see why when you take the following questions into account:
- No matter how lightweight a duffle bag is empty, will it still be light enough to be manageable when you finish packing?
- Do you have enough room to store it when you’re not traveling? Or would a smaller foldable rolling duffel bag be a better choice?
- If you’re purchasing the bag for air travel, will it fit the minimum overhead compartment or checked luggage requirements of your airline?
Materials and Quality
Materials and quality are also crucial when deciding whether investing in an expensive duffel vs. a more affordable option is worth investing in. Contrary to popular belief, in some instances, the most expensive option may not always be the smartest.
If you’re not a frequent traveler or want to purchase a larger bag that you’re unlikely to use on a regular basis, then why spend an extra couple hundred dollars on a bag that will spend most of its life in your closet? Many cheaper bags will get the job done at a fraction of the price.
But if you are a frequent traveler or are looking for a bag that can hang on a rugged outdoor adventure, then dropping the extra money on a choice like the Black Hole Duffel may be worth it. If you’re more of a business traveler, then you might consider a sleek-looking Briggs & Riley back that offers the same durability without the unnecessary outdoor protection.
Last but not least, look into things as simple as whether or not the bag comes with a sturdy wheelbase. This may make the difference in whether it will stand upright on its own or not.
Never underestimate the importance of selecting a bag with all the features you need. Something as simple as interior compression straps or storage cubes can make a big difference when it comes to staying organized on a long journey.
Ask yourself if you want a duffle bag with shoulder straps, separate pockets for things like dirty clothes and shoes, or padded sleeves for electronics. It’s the little things that can go a long way toward making your journey smoother.
You may even want to consider things as simple as design or color – and not just because you happen to be fashion-conscious. Having a distinctly colored back can make it a lot easier to spot your bag in the airport luggage terminal.
Wheeled Duffel Bag FAQs
What are the advantages of a duffel bag with wheels?
As opposed to a traditional suitcase, soft-sided luggage tends to be much more lightweight and forgiving when it comes to how much you can fit into one bag. Most rolling duffel bags also come with lots of exterior compartments that make it easier to keep things organized and easily accessible. Unlike traditional duffel bags, however, you’ll enjoy the ease of rollable wheels instead of having to lug around a heavy bag using a crossbody strap or backpack straps.
How to properly clean and maintain a travel duffel bag with wheels?
This question will largely come down to which type of material you choose. Rolling duffels designed for outdoor use are usually made to withstand stains and dirt, which may be a consideration if you’re looking for one that’s super easy to clean.