A lot of folks reading this may feel as I do about pants shopping: it’s the worst. And when you’re on the hunt for travel pants that will be both comfortable and fit right, the search can feel endless. But never fear, finding the perfect travel pants doesn’t have to be an onerous task — especially with free online returns and exchanges.
When it comes to finding the perfect pair of pants or any travel clothing, there are a few things to keep in mind while shopping to make life on the go so much easier:
- Ultraviolet protection factor
- Quick-drying fabric
- Wrinkle resistant fabric
- Can they be dual-purpose?
Keeping those four things in mind while shopping for your next pair of travel pants will make packing so much easier. Especially knowing if your clothes can serve more than one purpose so you don’t have to pack even more clothes. Without further ado, here are our picks for the best travel pants for women.
Show Table of Contents
- Best Travel Pants for Women
- 1. Best for Plus-Sized Travelers: Eddie Bauer Women’s Guide Pro Pants
- 2. Best for Cold Weather: Outdoor Ventures Sleek Fleece-Lined Pants
- 3. Best for Bad Weather: prAna Briann Pants
- 4. Best Lightweight Women’s Travel Pants: Mountain Hardwear Dynama Pull-On Ankle Pants
- 5. Best for Comfort: Lululemon Wunder Under High Rise Crop Yoga Pants
- 6. Best Travel Leggings: Girlfriend Collective Compression Pocket Leggings
- 7. Best for Long Flights: Buddha Pants Harem Pants
- 8. Best Travel Capris: CRZ YOGA Stretch Capri Pants
- 9. Best for Business Travel: Grace Karin Business Casual Pants
- 10. Best Maternity Travel Pants: Alina Mae Maternity Over-Bump Casual Capris
- 11. Best Convertible Travel Pants: REI Co-op Sahara Convertible Pants
- 12. Best for Hot Weather: Patagonia Funhoggers Cotton Shorts
- 13. Best for Layering: REI Co-op Flash Hybrid Tights
- 14. Best for Chafe Prevention: Terry Bike Bermuda Shorts
- 15. Best for Long Hikes: Adidas Terrex Zupahike Pants
- Best lightweight travel pants: Mountain Hardwear Dynama Pull-On Ankle Pants
- Best travel pants for hot weather: Patagonia Funhoggers Cotton Shorts
- Best travel pants for plus-sized travelers: Eddie Bauer Women’s Guide Pro Pants
- Best travel pants for cold weather: Outdoor Ventures Sleek Fleece-Lined Pants
- Best business travel pants: Grace Karin Business Casual Pants
Best Travel Pants for Women
1. Best for Plus-Sized Travelers: Eddie Bauer Women’s Guide Pro Pants
Made for the outdoors, the Eddie Bauer Women’s Guide Pro Pants are a favorite of plus-sized travelers because of the fit. These functional travel pants are made of flexible nylon and spandex, which gives them a comfortable, relaxed fit.
Because they’re made for adventures, these comfortable pants are also wrinkle-resistant, a lightweight material, and their material acts as a water-repellent coating. They’re also tailored to be a more curvy fit which is ideal for plus-sized folks like me.
The Guide Pros are a perfect pair for an active traveler or someone who plans to spend a lot of time on the hiking trail. Plus, the zippered cargo pockets will keep all your stuff safe along the trail.
- Stretchy fabric
- Straight-leg style pants
- Zip pockets
- Deep side pockets
- No elastic waistband
- Not durable in the thigh area
See Related: Best Travel Tips And Hacks From Our Readers
2. Best for Cold Weather: Outdoor Ventures Sleek Fleece-Lined Pants
Alright travelers of colder climates, the Outdoor Ventures Sleek Fleece-Lined Pants are absolutely for you. This waterproof, elastic waistband, dream pant is ideal for winter sports enthusiasts.
Or folks who just love being outside in tundra-esque weather. Outdoor Ventures also sells these pants in a few colors with velcro rather than an elastic waist.
With a sleek tapered leg, these pull-on pants aren’t like your traditional snow pants of our youth. None of us want to venture out looking like Ralphie’s little brother in A Christmas Story. Each leg bottom even has zippers to make it easier to put on your boots.
A snowbound active traveler will appreciate the fleece lining that is sure to keep you warm. Not to mention the zippered pockets for keeping your lift tickets or whatever else you may need safe as you race down a mountain or just make your way out for some much-needed hot cocoa.
- Pants have elastic or velcro waist
- Zippered pockets
- Best women’s travel pants for cold weather
- Water-repellent coating to waterproof
- Fleece may be too warm for some travelers
- Only goes up to a size 16
See Related: Best Winter Travel Clothes for Cold Weather
3. Best for Bad Weather: prAna Briann Pants
For when you just aren’t sure if the weather will hold out, you want a pair of pants that will make up for a surprise rainy day. The prAna Briann Pants are the perfect pants for such a day. Why? This stretchy fabric doesn’t just offer you a snug fit, you also benefit from its quick drying capabilities.
Not quite cargo pants and not quite skinny jeans, these casual wear pants give you the best of both worlds. A lightweight fabric that keeps you comfortable with five pockets to hold all your things, and a flattering, four-way stretch.
These are the perfect pair of pants to go from a day out to a business meeting. Their chic style lends itself to a plethora of excursions, making these some of the best pants to pull travel double duty.
- Multiple pockets
- Pants have a four-way stretch fit
- Mid-rise style pants
- Can wear the same pair on multiple occasions
- Quick drying pants
- Pants run small
- Only offers to size 18 tall
See Related: The Ultimate Summer Trip Packing List
4. Best Lightweight Women’s Travel Pants: Mountain Hardwear Dynama Pull-On Ankle Pants
For anyone on the hunt for pants that are the trinity of comfort, durability, and lightweight material, Mountain Hardwear has it in spades with its Dynama Ankle Pant. More like yoga pants than anything we’ve mentioned so far, these breezy pants will keep you comfy even on a 12-hour day of exploring a city.
This dream pant is a pull-on style with an elastic waistband that also has a drawstring waistband for an even better fit. Plus the leg cuffs are cinched for a more put-together look even for my fellow petite travelers out there.
Deep pockets on the sides offer plenty of room which is, begrudgingly, uncommon in women’s travel pants or just pants in general. You can easily hike the ankles up to accommodate your hiking boots and there is even a hidden pocket in the back for added security.
- Elastic waistband with a drawstring waistband to fit perfectly
- Hidden pocket
- Pants are machine washable
- Expensive for pants
See Related: How to Pack for a Month-Long Trip
5. Best for Comfort: Lululemon Wunder Under High Rise Crop Yoga Pants
Of the best travel pants for women, these yoga pants from Lululemon are both the most expensive as well as the most comfy. They are also, unfortunately, the least size-inclusive pants on this list.
Lululemon’s wrinkle-resistant fabric is known for being uber comfortable, and their sweat-wicking tech makes them ideal for warmer weather too. That said, these pants can also be worn in cooler weather, especially with a long sweater dress or tunic.
This is a good pair if you’re looking to feel relaxed in your travel pants but can toss a cute top on or a dress with these too. At a moment’s notice, you can be ready to hit the town. Keep in mind that these only have a hidden pocket without any other pockets.
- Hidden pocket
- Super comfy
- Quick dry pants
- Pants have very limited sizing
- Best to air dry
See Related: Ways to Luggage-Free Travel
6. Best Travel Leggings: Girlfriend Collective Compression Pocket Leggings
Made from 79% recycled plastic bottles, leggings from The Girlfriend Collective aren’t just some of the best travel pants; they’re also among the most eco-friendly. These also come in sizes XXS – 6X, so they’re among the most size-inclusive as well.
Available in multiple colors, these compressive leggings will feel a little too tight upon first wear. Over time they’ll settle into a more relaxed fit while still providing that circulation-friendly compression. They’re also a good pair to have on hand for a long-haul flight to keep your legs happy.
These are also machine washable, made of a quick-drying material, and have three pockets. The third is a hidden one on the back of the pants.
- Sizes XXS – 6X
- Deep side pockets
- Relaxed fit after wearing it in
- Wrinkle resistant
- Pants are machine washable
- Like all leggings, it’s better to air-dry these
See Related: Things to Expect When Flying For The First Time
7. Best for Long Flights: Buddha Pants Harem Pants
I won’t pretend I like wearing cargo pants. I do, however, spend a lot of time in my oversized harem pants from Buddha Pants. If I don’t show up for a flight in one of my go-to rompers, you’ll find me looking like Aladdin in these purple bad boys.
With a drawstring closure and sort-of tapered leg with an elastic cuff at the ankle, these pants are by far the most comfortable travel pants I own. They’re perfect for pairing with compression socks for long flights which is a must to avoid blood clots. Depending on your height these can be worn as mid-rise, though I hike the harem pants up to be more high-rise for a less baggy fit.
What makes these the most travel friendly of the list is that you can fold the pants up to fit into the left side pocket. The pocket acts as a carrying pouch so you can easily stash these into a bag to throw on while you’re on the go. They’re also wrinkle-resistant so you don’t have to worry about them looking disheveled after storing.
- Pants are wrinkle resistant
- Drawstring closure
- Side pockets act as a pants-carrying pouch
- Not as size-inclusive yet
- Can get thigh chafing because of leg fit
See Related: Best Gadgets for Long Flights & Travel
8. Best Travel Capris: CRZ YOGA Stretch Capri Pants
For multi-faceted travel needs, the straight-leg capri pants by CRZ YOGA provide a mid-rise, tailored fit for a business meeting, golf trip, or dining out with friends. Since they come in different colors you can have one or two pairs to swap out while you’re on your trip.
These wrinkle-resistant capri pants are also machine washable and could easily double as dress pants if capris are appropriate for the occasion. This classic straight-leg silhouette with a slightly shorter leg also makes these some of the best women’s travel pants for hot weather.
Should you plan on hitting the golf course with these pants, they do have sizable side pockets for storage. They’re also sweat-wicking to help keep you cool no matter what you’re up to.
- Multi-use travel pants
- Straight leg, mid-rise style
- Side pockets
- Wrinkle resistant fabric
- Machine Washable
- Only available in XXS – XL
See Related: Best Vacation Dresses for Summer & Beach Trips
9. Best for Business Travel: Grace Karin Business Casual Pants
There is a reason why so many travelers love Grace Karin. I’m certainly one of them.
Her business casual dress pants are the perfect business travel pants. These straight-leg, high-waisted pants are more like paper bag pants than a jogger, despite the company calling them a jogger.
What’s great about these paper bag pants is that they look so good on different body types. They’re especially flattering on curvy folks as it accentuates the person’s shape. Plus, they look great for photos which is a bonus.
The matching tie goes through the pant belt loops though they can be worn without the tie as well. Mostly the bow is just for style, but it does help tighten the pants a little. These are by far some of the most affordable pants on our list thus far.
- Casual to business-appropriate dream pant
- Optional tie-through belt loops
- Up to size XXL
- Pants are not machine washable
10. Best Maternity Travel Pants: Alina Mae Maternity Over-Bump Casual Capris
Chic, tapered-leg maternity capri pants from Alina Mae Maternity are perfect for pregnant or new-parent travelers who want to look good but still be comfortable. These pants feature an elastic waistband, and the lightweight material keeps the wearer cool no matter where they are.
Unlike other maternity pants, these are pretty enough to be worn with a shirt tucked in. There isn’t a very noticeable fabric or color difference between the pants themselves and the over-the-bump elastic section.
Don’t be fooled by those pack pocket seams — there are not four pockets. There are only two actual pockets in these pants. Those back seams are just for show.
- Flattering tapered leg style
- Very comfortable pants for expecting travelers
- Machine washable
- Affordable pants
- Pants not available for plus-sizes
11. Best Convertible Travel Pants: REI Co-op Sahara Convertible Pants
We couldn’t countdown travel pants without giving space to a pair of the iconic, unzippable cargo pants. Specifically, we’re shouting out the Sahara Convertible Pants from REI Co-Op. These pants are both multi-functional as proper pants and shorts, and they’re even made almost entirely out of recycled materials.
Color-coded zippers help keep each leg straight so you can easily put the legs back together when the weather gets colder. These pants have four pockets as well as zip pockets for extra storage capabilities.
Vertical zippers on either leg allow for air ventilation without actually unzipping the whole pant leg. These additional zippers also help you transition the pants into shorts without the hassle of taking off your shoes.
- Pants made from 96% recycled material
- Zip pockets and regular pockets
- Convertible from pants to shorts
- Pants are only available in three colors
See Related: How to Pack For a Camping Trip
12. Best for Hot Weather: Patagonia Funhoggers Cotton Shorts
Before anyone comes for me for listing shorts on a list of pants, we’re going to have to agree to disagree that shorts aren’t just short pants. Therefore they’re going on this list. Namely, Patagonia’s cute Funhoggers short pants are going on this list.
Not only do these 100% cotton shorts keep you cool in hot weather, but they also have a straight fit with an elastic waist to stay snug no matter how far you walk. They feature a relaxing fit too, so you’ll be breezy and hopefully not pulling your shorts back down every few minutes.
Funhoggers come in multiple colors, so you can easily fit a few in your luggage to coordinate outfits. Since they’re cotton, consider air drying them so they don’t shrink — especially if you plan on machine washing them while you’re traveling. No one wants their favorite pants to shrink halfway across the world!
- 100% cotton material
- Pants come in multiple colors
- Side pockets
- Only come up to size XL
See Related: Best Travel Shorts for Warm Weather Destinations
13. Best for Layering: REI Co-op Flash Hybrid Tights
Although these are called tights, they’re closer to leggings. The Flash Hybrid Tights from REI Co-op can be worn on their own or under other clothes. They’re also made partially out of recycled polyester, making them an eco-friendly pants choice.
They’re tight enough to act as long underwear under sweats or snow pants, yet light enough to layer under a cute dress. Plus, how many leggings have zip pockets? Not many.
The three-layer waistband of the tights won’t roll down as you explore but will also keep you cool too despite the several layers. Although they only come in a few colors, they’re super cute. My personal favorite is the purple or graystone color.
- Excellent pants for layering
- Has zip pockets
- Very cute color options
- Pants are only available up to size XL (women’s 16)
See Related: This Year’s Best Travel Accessories and Gear
14. Best for Chafe Prevention: Terry Bike Bermuda Shorts
Anyone else from the thick thighs that chafe club will immediately know what this section is about. Packing a handy pair of bike shorts, especially the durable Terry Bike Bermuda Shorts, is a lifesaver for anyone who struggles with thigh chafing. They can also pull double duty which makes them even better pants for traveling.
These shorts can be worn on their own or under a dress for a day of adventures. While it would be cooler to not wear shorts under a dress these breathable bike shorts will keep you cool and your thighs from aching at the end of a long day.
Made from moisture-wicking materials ensures that you’ll stay comfortable. Or, if you wear these for their intended biking purpose, the interior of the shorts helps cushion you from the bike seat. Either way, comfort is the key here.
- Side pockets
See Related: Costa Rica Packing List
15. Best for Long Hikes: Adidas Terrex Zupahike Pants
That’s not a diss, either. These pants are all the cooler for it.
With zip pockets, regular pockets, moisture-wicking, and windproof material, these pants have what it takes to tackle long hikes just about anywhere. These Adidas pants have a flat front waist for style but the functionality of cargo pants.
Because of that storage, you’ve got plenty of room for your trail mix and maybe even your water bottle if it’s slim enough. Regardless of where you’re hiking, these pants are sure to serve you well for a long time.
- Zip pockets
- Pants are windproof and moisture wicking
- Made of recycled materials
- Two stylish designs
- Pants only sized up to XL
- The Complete Backpacking Checklist for Travelers
- The Ultimate Vacation Packing List (+ Printable PDF)
- How to Pack For a Camping Trip [Step-by-Step Checklist]
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Amanda is a Chicago-based queer travel, arts, and lifestyle writer who is passionate about exploring the world. Her work has been featured in Newcity Stage, The Chicago Reader, HuffPo, and Yahoo, as well as the November 2022 book, “Chicago Like a Local.” Amanda’s favorite destinations include Costa Rica, Prague, Dublin, Hong Kong, and every Disney park she’s visited.