We take pride in providing authentic travel recommendations based on our own experiences. We may earn a commission when you purchase a product or book a reservation. Learn more ›
Finding the right travel insurance is one of the critical steps to ensure a stress-free traveling experience. It provides you and your finances a backup while allowing you to explore the wonderful world around you with one less worry.
The question is where to buy your travel insurance plan. With many insurance providers on the market, choosing the right travel insurance policy becomes daunting.
Have you heard about Travelex Insurance? If not, no worries! We will evaluate Travelex Insurance Services Inc. to help you understand if this is viable trip insurance you can rely on.
Before you select a travel insurance company, you need to look into several factors. A travel insurance policy is best if it provides trip cancellation, medical evacuation, lost property, and medical coverage.
So, is Travelex a reliable option? This Travelex insurance review will uncover everything you should know before purchasing your travel insurance. Let’s quickly learn about Travelex insurance services, return policies, and other aspects.
- Travelex Insurance Services: The Highlights
- What is Travelex?
- Travelex Insurance Plans
- Who Should Consider Buying Travelex Insurance?
- Who Should NOT Buy Travelex Insurance?
- What Does Travelex Travel Insurance Cover?
- Trip Interruption
- Trip Cancellation
- Emergency Transportation
- Medical Coverage
- Baggage Damage or Loss
- Missed Connections
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Exclusions of Travelex Travel Insurance
- Pros of Travelex Travel Insurance
- Cons of Travelex Travel Insurance
- How to Get Travelex Insurance?
- How to File a Claim with Travelex
- How Much Does Travelex Insurance Cost?
- Travelex Customer Service
- Is Travelex Travel Insurance Worth It?
- Is Travelex Insurance legit?
- Travelex Insurance Reviews
- Buy The Right Travelex Insurance Plan For Your Next Trip
- How much does a Travelex Insurance Trip Cost?
- Who owns Travelex travel insurance?
- Travelex Insurance
- Ease of use
- Value of Money
- Customer Service
Travelex Insurance Services: The Highlights
Before digging deeper, let’s begin the review by discussing Travelex travel insurance basics.
- Leading travel insurance provider in the US
- Established in 1996
- Boasts over 55 years of combined industry experience
- Headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska
- Provides coverage for domestic and international travels
- Includes 24/7 global assistance delivered by World Travel Protection
What is Travelex?
Travelex Insurance Services is a reputable, reliable, and legitimate travel insurance company. Based in Omaha, it has a history of fairly paying out claims and exceptional customer service.
This travel insurance agency has designed each of its insurance plans with the diverse needs of travelers in mind. You will find various comprehensive travel insurance protection plans to cover you and your investment.
From family holidays to the weekend getaway to the around-the-world cruise and more, Travelex travel insurance provides different plans to suit your travel needs.
See Related: Best 7-Star Hotels Around the World
Travelex Insurance Plans
If you want to purchase travel insurance, you need to know what plans and travel insurance policies are available. In this section, we will talk about Travelex’s different travel insurance plans.
Here are the three travel plans:
Here is a summary of the plans compared:
|Benefit||Travel Select||Travel Basic||Travel America|
|Trip Cancellation||100% of insured trip cost||100% of insured trip cost||100% of Trip Cost up to $750|
|Trip Interruption||150% of insured trip cost||100% of insured trip cost||150% of Trip Cost up to $1,125|
|Trip Delay||$2,000 ($250/day)||$500 ($250/day)||$2,000|
|Sporting Equipment Delay||$200||–||$2,000|
|Emergency Medical Expense||$50,000||$15,000||–|
|Emergency Medical Evacuation||$500,000||$100,000||–|
|Kids-Included Pricing||Yes||No||Coverages Shared Between Insured and Up to 7 Traveling Companions|
This plan offers comprehensive benefits and access to unique upgrades. It is a more robust insurance plan – perfect for families and senior citizens. This plan also includes upgrades for other add-ons, such as car rental collision insurance and adventure sports coverage.
This policy provides travelers with needed protection at a reasonable price. It is less expensive than Travel Select, consequently, lighter on benefits and coverage. Suitable for backpackers and students.
This plan is only available for travels within the US, not for international trips. It offers secondary protection for up to seven people. Also, this is less expensive compared to other plans.
These three plans are pretty robust and offer coverage for medical and other travel emergencies such as emergency medical evacuation.
In addition, Travelex also provides two flight-only travel insurance plans. If you need protection for emergencies occurring on the flight, you can select between the following flight plans:
This policy is suitable for travelers who only need protection while flying a single flight to get flight insurance on a trip delay, baggage delay, and other baggage coverage.
Flight Insure Plus
This policy is suitable for travelers who need protection while flying, with some post-departure benefits added on. You may choose any travel insurance plan depending on your needs and budget. Keep browsing our review of Travelex Insurance to gather more information.
While every tourist should have a travel insurance protection plan, some people would certainly benefit from investing in Travelex travel insurance.
- Seniors: No matter your age, Travelex insurance services provide coverage for travelers from any age group. Unlike other travel insurance providers that cover people up to age 65, Travelex does not have any age restrictions for their policyholders.
- Families: As Travelex provides free insurance benefits and coverage for children under 18 traveling with adults, it makes an excellent option when traveling with your family. No matter how many kids come with you, there will be no extra charges to bring them along.
- Budget Travelers: Many people skip buying travel insurance due to their tight budget. Fortunately, the Travel Basic plan of Travelex protects your trip by offering some medical coverage and post-departure perks.
When traveling with family, compare Travel Basic and Travel Select. Depending on the amount and age of children you’re bringing, Travelex’s Travel Select plan could make a cheaper option.
- Those Looking for Full Coverage: If you want travel insurance coverage that includes emergency evacuation, medical treatment, trip protection, flight delay, repatriation, or other elements, Travelex has the right plans. And for maximum travelers, Travel Select is the plan for you.
See Related: Tentrr Review
Who Should NOT Buy Travelex Insurance?
It’s necessary to discuss who should avoid Travelex travel insurance. Though it’s the best insurance option for many, Travelex is not for everyone.
- Frequent Travelers: People who travel more often might save some money by considering a different travel insurance provider that sells annual or multi-trip policies. With Travelex, there’s no such thing as Travelex annual travel insurance.
- Those Looking for High Medical Coverage: Travel Select provides standard medical emergency coverage – it’s reasonable but not robust. If you want comprehensive coverage for your medical expenses, you should look somewhere else. You will get some medical coverage like emergency medical evacuation but this is not a policy for primary medical coverage.
- Adventure Travelers: If you want to climb up some hardcore mountains, Travelex will not offer coverage for mishaps related to that. For such activities, check out World Nomads. This travel insurance service covers up to 200 adventure activities.
What Does Travelex Travel Insurance Cover?
Travelex’s insurance policy delivers several benefits for its customers. Let’s go deeper to determine what areas this travel insurance policy covers.
Travelex insurance offers coverage if you must return from your trip early due to sickness or injuries. They will reimburse for unused portions, like accommodation.
Your reason for leaving the trip should be on the insurance policy to receive your claim. In case of any doubt about interruption reasons, read the terms of your travel insurance plan.
There may be work or family-related situations where you will have to cancel your traveling plan. With a trip cancellation coverage plan, you will be reimbursed for your nonrefundable air tickets and hotel reservations.
Like trip interruption coverage, a trip cancellation protection plan only kicks in if you cancel for a specified reason.
If you get injured on your trip, you will likely be transported to the nearby hospital for treatment. Emergency evacuation covers the ambulance ride or flight required to take you to a medical facility.
Emergency transportation coverage is critical to explore a remote country or location where healthcare is not easily accessible.
Getting injured or sick is one of the worst things you may face during the trip. But with medical protection, you will be covered if you visit a doctor in a foreign country.
Travelex insurance will ensure you get the care you need while also reimbursing all the expenses of treatments.
Baggage Damage or Loss
Travelex travel insurance also covers stolen, damaged, or lost items during the trip. From broken sunglasses to stolen briefcases, you will be reimbursed a certain amount for your lost or damaged belongings.
If your flight is postponed or canceled, the missed connection coverage will manage your reimbursements.
Now, the travel insurance provider will pay for the transportation to get you to your destination. This type of trip delay coverage is crucial if you rely on multiple flights to reach your final destination.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment
Although statistically unlikely, severe injuries and death may occur during your trip. With AD&D coverage, you will receive compensation if you face an injury, like losing an eye or arm.
The same can be said if a life is lost. In worst-case situations, accidental death and dismemberment coverage will pay a specific amount to your loved ones if you die on your trip.
See Related: SafetyWing Review: Is It Legit or a Scam?
Exclusions of Travelex Travel Insurance
Now, we need to cover exclusions. Like any other travel insurance policy, Travelex insurance also comes with a set of items that are excluded from coverage.
Some exclusions are as follows:
- Extreme and professional sports
- Routine medical treatment
- Pre-existing medical conditions
- Civil unrest and riots
- Losses related to alcohol or drug use
- Expensive equipment and items
- Mental disorders
- Anything related to childbirth or pregnancy
- Losses linked to illegal activities
These are essential exclusions you should know about. Remember, this list does not include all exclusions. Read the terms and conditions on your insurance documents for detailed information about Travelex insurance services.
Pros of Travelex Travel Insurance
Here are some best features of Travelex insurance:
- Offers five plans to select from
- Provides excellent coverage for senior citizens
- Free coverage for under 18 with Travel Select
- The “Cancel for Any Reason” option available with some plans
- No deductible
- Excellent customer service
Cons of Travelex Travel Insurance
Apart from offering some tough-to-beat advantages, here are some points where Travelex Travel Insurance falls short:
- No Travelex annual travel insurance
- No multi-trip plans are available
- Travel Basic medical coverage isn’t impressive
- Expensive compared to other travel insurance companies
How to Get Travelex Insurance?
You can easily buy a Travelex insurance plan on the Travelex website in no time. If you have any queries, you can check Travelex’s insurance customer reviews or contact their support team to clear your doubts.
How to File a Claim with Travelex
Travelex makes it straightforward for clients to get reimbursed for missed or delayed flights, medical bills, stolen baggage, or other emergencies abroad. To file a claim with Travelex, put your travel plan number into the claim form.
Now, download the required document to complete your claim and submit it. You can also send in these claim forms by mail or electronically. This is the fastest and most convenient way to get things done.
How Much Does Travelex Insurance Cost?
A range of factors contributes to the total cost of your Travelex travel insurance quote. Some are your age, travel destination, and how many people travel.
To get an exact quote for your desired Travelex insurance plan, all you have to do is enter your travel details, including departure date, return date, and estimated trip cost, on the form available on their website – simple!
See Related: Tips for Sustainable Travel
Travelex Customer Service
Travelex provides 24/7 customer support to clients. Feel free to contact the customer service team if you need help changing your insurance plan, filing a claim, want to know about the Travelex insurance refund policy or anything in between.
For more information, consider browsing Travelex insurance customer reviews. This section will help you determine what other customers say about this insurance provider.
Is Travelex Travel Insurance Worth It?
The details mentioned in this Travelex insurance review confirm that Travelex is a reputed travel insurance agency that offers a range of protection plans for all types of travel.
They frequently reimburse travelers for lost baggage, trip delays, medical emergencies, or other conditions. So, is Travelex travel insurance worth it? The answer is – YES.
After evaluating this extensive Travelex insurance review, it is clear that this is a legitimate platform that caters to a broad spectrum of customers, including families, seniors, and travelers with pre-existing medical conditions.
Is Travelex Insurance legit?
Travelex was founded in Omaha, Nebraska, as Mutuals of Omaha. The firm was acquired by the International currency group Travelex in 1996. In 2016, Cover-More Group bought it but kept the Travelex name. After being sold to Mutual of Omaha, the company headquarters was moved to Omaha, Nebraska.
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance, Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, and Old Republic Insurance Company are three American underwriting firms.
It is well-known that Travelex is not required to have insurance policies for online and offline sales of their products made via travel agencies and other travel assistance companies.
Travelex Insurance Reviews
Travelex is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau. Over the last year, 164 star ratings were given by critics, with 118 five-star plus 20 four-star reviews. The user comments frequently mention quick customer service and no issue with the claims.
According to several review websites, it responds to negative feedback rapidly, which is great to see that they are willing to support customers’ less-than-pleasant experiences.
Buy The Right Travelex Insurance Plan For Your Next Trip
Travelex is one of the best travel insurance companies to work with to protect your trip. Though Travelex offers five varying insurance plans, most people buy Travel Basic or Travel Select. Travel Basic makes an ideal choice for budget-minded people. However, it covers fewer medical expenses than Travel Select.
Travel Select is a well-rounded policy perfect for families, as it provides free coverage for children under 18. You may upgrade this protection policy to add Cancel for Any Reason coverage.
Although it’s unlikely that you will encounter a serious issue during the trip, it doesn’t make sense to risk thousands of dollars for your life or the lives of those you’re traveling with.
The cost of buying a travel insurance policy is nothing compared to what you could lose. You can protect yourself and your family against unexpected incidents and emergencies by submitting a few dollars. It’s far better to have it and not need it than not.
Make sure to buy the right trip insurance plan as per what you are looking to do in your travel experience. For example, if you travel by cruise, protect yourself by investing in Travelex cruise insurance.
Hopefully, this review of Travelex will help you determine if their travel assistance services suit you. Whatever plan you pick, make sure it protects you and your trip!
How much does a Travelex Insurance Trip Cost?
The lowest price Travelex offers is $6.55 for annual coverage to be expected of policies like trip cancellation, lost baggage, and other forms of insurance to be expected.
Who owns Travelex travel insurance?
Travelex Insurance is an in-house brand of Toronto-based Travelex.
- AARDY Travel Insurance Review
- Outdoorsy Review
- RVShare Review
- World Nomads Travel Insurance Review
- SafetyWing Insurance Review
Ease of use9.0/10
Value of Money8.5/10
- Provide Coverage for Seniors
- Have Five Plans to Select From
- Have "Cancel Any Time" Option
- No Deductible
- No Annual Travel Insurance
- No Multi-Trip Plans Available
- Not Impressive Basic Travel Medical Coverage
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Kyle Kroeger is the Founder and Owner of ViaTravelers.com. He is a full-time traveler and entrepreneur. Kyle started ViaTravelers.com to help travelers experience a fully immersive cultural experience as he did initially living in Italy. He’s a converted finance nerd and Excel jockey turned world wanderer (and may try to get lost on purpose). After visiting 12 countries and 13 national parks in a year, he was devoted to creating and telling stories like he’d heard.
Plus, after spending more time on airplanes and packing, he’s learned some incredible travel hacks over time as he earned over 1 million Chase Ultimate Rewards points in under a year, helping him maximize experiences as much as possible to discover the true meaning of travel.
He loves listening to local stories from around the world and sharing his experiences traveling the globe. He loves travel so much that he moved from his hometown of Minneapolis to Amsterdam with his small family to travel Europe full-time.