A lot of people often see travel insurance as an unnecessary expense. But isn’t it better to be safe than sorry? That’s what travel insurance plans are for!
Having a proper travel insurance plan with the right insurance company can give you peace of mind while you travel. But, as there are a dizzying number of travel insurance companies, picking the best option can become quite a challenge.
When making decisions on which insurance companies to work with, it’s best to consider what you need and compare your insurance needs with the insurance plans offered.
If you want to explore Earth’s boundaries without being worried about your health, travel plans, or belongings, World Nomads Travel Insurance is a perfect choice. This travel insurance service provides multiple insurance benefits including car insurance, medical insurance, health insurance, and more.
Are you considering World Nomads as your option for travel insurance?
Great! Want to know more about this travel insurance service? Check out this World Nomads travel insurance review!
In the United States, World Nomads policies are administered by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, a company offering different types of insurance and financial products.
Before you buy a plan, check if you already have coverage through a premium travel credit card and if so, verify whether the insurance plan is sufficient for your travel needs.
This World Nomads Travel Insurance review covers all the important information you should know about World Nomads to help you decide if it’s the right choice. So, let’s dive into the details.
Table of Contents
- What is World Nomads?
- World Nomads Insurance Company Plans
- World Nomads Standard Plan
- World Nomads Explorer Plan
- Deep Dive in World Nomads Travel Insurance Coverage
- What’s Not Covered in World Nomads Travel Insurance?
- Pros of World Nomads Travel insurance
- Cons of World Nomads Travel insurance
- Can You Make Changes to Your World Nomads Travel Insurance?
- Is There Anything That You Can’t Change in Your World Nomads Travel Insurance Policy?
- How Much does World Nomads Travel Insurance Cost?
- World Nomads Customer Service
- How to Claim Online with World Nomads
- Is World Nomads Online Claim Process Secure?
- World Nomads Travel Insurance – Is It Worth It?
- Buy the Right World Nomads Travel Insurance Plan for YOU
- How do I file a claim on World Nomads?
- If I cancel or interrupt my trip, will World Nomads reimburse me?
- World Nomads Insurance
- Ease of Use
- Customer Service
- Value for Money
What is World Nomads?
World Nomads provides travel insurance and safety services for independent travelers across 130+ countries. They have been inspiring, connecting, and protecting travelers since 2002.
Their travel insurance offers flexible and robust insurance plans to help enthusiastic travelers explore the world with confidence.
As this travel insurance company has multiple protection plans designed for all sorts of people, you’re sure to find one that covers your particular needs.
For more details on what World Nomads Travel Insurance offer and how it works, continue reading this.
See Related: 6 Interesting Flyover States to Visit
World Nomads Insurance Company Plans
As traveling needs vary from person to person, there can’t be a one-size-fits-all travel insurance policy. World Nomads Insurance provides two plans; standard plan and explorer plan. These come with different levels of insurance coverage letting you choose one that suits your needs.
All World Nomads Plans have different insurance coverage, but they all include Emergency Overseas medical coverage, emergency medical transportation, cover for stolen or damaged gear, trip insurance which includes trip cancellation, trip interruption, and trip delay.
Their two plans are as follows:
World Nomads Standard Plan
With this plan, you get all the basic coverage on medical insurance, emergency medical evacuation, medical costs, dental costs, emergency medical transport, travel delay, resumption of the trip, trip interruption, personal liability, documents insurance, baggage, and personal items insurance, and repatriation & travel expenses.
World Nomads coverage of adventure activities differs in each country, From skiing & snowboarding in New Zealand to whitewater rafting in Colorado and Motorbiking in Vietnam, They have a wider range of 200+ adventure activities, giving you peace of mind to get the most from your travels
This World Nomads Policy Plan is ideal for beginners and will work for frequent travelers and families.
World Nomads Explorer Plan
This travel insurance plan has all the advantages of a Standard Plan in addition to some more. As it provides extensive coverage, this one is a little more on the expensive side.
These are the two plans that World Nomad Insurance offers. It’s entirely up to you to decide which plan to choose. Before buying one, think about how much coverage you might need to deal with the unexpected.
The World Nomads Explore plan you choose should depend on various factors, like your travel destination, total cost, amount of people traveling, what you want to explore, and your personal situation.
Whatever plan you pick, make sure to choose your plan wisely, as you can’t upgrade a Standard Plan to an Explorer Plan in between your trip. In addition, you can buy these plans for up to 180 days trip duration.
If needed, you can extend your insurance coverage during your trip.
Deep Dive in World Nomads Travel Insurance Coverage
The coverage on a travel insurance plan is the most critical part. Therefore, it’s vital to figure out what particular travel insurance policy they are offering you.
In this section of the World Nomads Travel insurance review, you will come across some coverages that you can benefit from by investing in this travel insurance company.
- Emergency Medical Coverage: World Nomads travel insurance may provide you with all emergency medical expenses and related medical repatriation or evacuation if you get injured or ill. For instance, if you get a severe injury while hiking in the woods, World Nomads will cover your evacuation to the hospital. In case of serious medical emergencies, the medical coverage can also send you back to your home country.
- Emergency Dental Treatment: Coverage on emergency dental treatment for unforeseen accidental injuries that appear during the trip. It may include a broken tooth, jawline injury, and unexpected infection. There’s no coverage for cleanings and checkups though.
- Trip Cancellation Protection: Reimburses unused, non-refundable trip cancellation charges if you cancel your plan due to sickness, death of a loved one, accidental injury, natural disaster, or for all other covered reasons.
This trip cancellation coverage varies with where you plan to travel and other factors. The trip cancellation limit will increase or decrease based on the information you enter on the World Nomads site.
Check out the World Nomads travel insurance cancellation plan to see what it covers.
- Trip Delays: This covers any additional expenses you incur if you get a trip delay for 6 or more hours to catch your flight due to a hazard covered in the World Nomads standard policy.
- Trip Interruption: Provides reimbursement for all deposited, non-refundable costs in case of any interruptions to your trip for valid reasons.
- Non-Medical Emergency Evacuation: This coverage is for the transfer of expenses in case of civil or political unrest, or natural disasters in the country you’re exploring.
- Stolen or Lost Goods: Reimburses for lost, damaged, or stolen personal belongings and baggage during the trip. Some policies also reimburse you for additional expenses, like delayed baggage.
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment: This plan covers the loss of life, limb, and certain external organs (like eyes) as a result of an accident on the trip.
Apart from these coverages, World Nomads also covers the following areas as a bonus – at least to some extent natural disasters, stolen passports, and pregnancy complications (no birth).
Moreover, remember these coverage options vary depending on your home, age, or departing country.
See Related: Exciting Month-Long Vacation Ideas
What’s Not Covered in World Nomads Travel Insurance?
Travel insurance policies often come with exclusions, and you will always want to pay attention to what’s covered and what’s not.
Here are a few exclusions:
- Accidents occurred during extreme adventure activities, like paragliding, hang gliding, and bungee jumping
- Carelessness in handling baggage and possessions
- Pre existing medical conditions (A pre-existing medical condition is any health condition that a person has prior to enrolling for health insurance)
- Regular checkups
- Stolen or lost cash
- Delivery expenses
Pros of World Nomads Travel insurance
- Affordable in relation to other insurance companies
- Offers a simple choice of two travel plans which makes it easy to choose compared to the options included with other insurance companies
- You can extend your insurance policy even on the trip
- Protect your travel plans of up to 180 days
- Provides robust coverage for 200 activities, including sports, air, and land
- Offers fast 24/7 assistance online
Cons of World Nomads Travel insurance
- No coverage for extreme sports activities
- World Nomads have no annual travel insurance plan, this is an option included with other insurance companies
- Limited coverage for expensive trips
- Age limit – World Nomads deny coverage to anyone aged 70+ years
- NO coverage for Pre existing conditions
Can You Make Changes to Your World Nomads Travel Insurance?
The answer is a big YES. You can make changes to your insurance plan by signing in to your World Nomads account. Follow their specific guidelines to apply your changes.
You can change the start of your World Nomads travel insurance policy to any date in the future.
You can cancel your World Nomads policy whenever you want, and if you cancel it within 10 days, they will give you a full refund!
Is There Anything That You Can’t Change in Your World Nomads Travel Insurance Policy?
Yes, there are a few things that you can’t change. This section includes some parts of your plan that cannot be modified once you purchase coverage for your travel insurance needs
- End date of your travel insurance plan. You’ll have to buy more cover online if you decide to extend your trip.
- Your details, like contact number or address. To update this information, you’ll have to go through the hassle of reaching out to their customer service team.
- You can’t upgrade your World Nomads travel insurance plan mid-trip.
In addition, if you have made any other mistake on your insurance certificate, such as name or date of birth, contact their team and let them fix the issue for you.
See Related: Best Family Travel Insurance Providers
How Much does World Nomads Travel Insurance Cost?
Knowing the average cost of your travel insurance policy is another critical part of this travel insurance review. The cost of the Standard Plan and Explorer Plan varies depending on the benefits they offer.
The World Nomads Standard Plan costs $79 and is an ideal choice for travelers satisfied with trip interruption and cancellation coverages of $2,500.
While this plan doesn’t include rental car coverage or adventure sports it does cover activities like bungee jumping and windsurfing.
The World Nomads Explorer Plan costs $142 and includes all the advantages of the Standard Plan with a few more perks. It provides coverage of up to $10,000 for trip interruptions or cancellations.
It also covers rental car coverage and adventure sports, including extreme sports like skydiving, scuba diving, and, heli-skiing.
Unfortunately, World Nomads does not provide CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) upgrade on either plan.
World Nomads Customer Service
This travel insurance provides one-call 24-hour assistance services to its clients. Their multilingual customer support team is available round the clock to provide advice, help, and referrals for your emergencies, medical or otherwise.
They can help you locate nearby medical facilities and physicians. If needed, they will arrange and pay for relevant transportation, including an escort to a hospital or your home.
Coverage for medical evacuations is available just for covered claims mentioned in your travel insurance policy. All medical transfer services will be arranged by One Call.
How to Claim Online with World Nomads
Waiting to claim until you get home is frustrating. World Nomads really understands this. To ensure your ease and comfort, they provide you the freedom to claim your travel insurance plan anytime from anywhere, allowing you to keep traveling without any worries.
If you’re not a World Nomads member, it is recommended to create your account first, as it will let you make most of your claims electronically. In case of any confusion, feel free to get in touch with the customer service team.
To make your claim, you need to sign in with World Nomads (if you’re already a member – you should be if you’ve bought a plan from them). Follow the steps to start your claim and attach any and all your supporting documents.
Once you make your claim, they will send you a confirmation email with a reference number. This email will make it easy for you to keep track of your claim’s progress.
See Related: Best Vacation Destinations for Friends
Is World Nomads Online Claim Process Secure?
Yes, it is safe and secure. You should make sure to use a reliable portal to sign in to World Nomads and upload your documents. This option is more secure than making your claims through email, which contains all your personal information.
World Nomads Travel Insurance – Is It Worth It?
This World Nomads Insurance review now reaches the final question – is this travel insurance company worth it?
Well, on comparing the pros and cons mentioned in this World Nomads travel insurance review, it can’t be denied that positive points outweigh the negative ones, making World Nomads an excellent choice.
World Nomads is one of the best travel insurance companies available, especially if you’re looking for long-term travel insurance.
This travel insurance company offers the best coverage and their plans are also affordable.
For more details on their services and customer experience, you may consider browsing reviews of World Nomads travel insurance. Their review section will help you gather more information about this insurance company.
See Related: Best Travel Insurance for Digital Nomads
Buy the Right World Nomads Travel Insurance Plan for YOU
Overall, this insurance review includes everything you need to know about this travel insurance company.
It’s an unfortunate fact that traveling comes with unplanned situations and potential emergencies. To ensure you and your family’s security during the trip, it is always recommended to invest in the right travel insurance policy. Insurance is better to have and not need, than need and not have.
This World Nomads travel insurance review concludes that this insurance service is a reliable choice to ensure a well-covered trip.
As there are two plans, make sure to choose the best one depending on your personal needs. Compare both plans and go with the one most suitable.
How do I file a claim on World Nomads?
Once you get your insurance plan you will receive detailed guidance on how to file a claim. You will need to have your plan number, departure and return dates of your trip, and your travel agency if any.
Additionally, you can call World Nomads customer support and they will guide you through the process. They have 24/7 customer support.
If I cancel or interrupt my trip, will World Nomads reimburse me?
Your trip cancellation protection includes very specific covered reasons. These include:
– Getting sick or injured
– Death or sickness of a family member
– Work emergencies
– Jury duty
– Severe damage to your home caused by a natural disaster such as a tornado or flood
- Thrifty Traveler Review
- AARDY Travel Insurance Review
- Travelex Insurance Review
- Tentrr Review
- Dollar Flight Cub Review
- Outdoorsy Review
World Nomads InsuranceVaries
Ease of Use9.0/10
Value for Money9.0/10
- Offers Two Travel Plans
- Can Extend Insurance
- Protect Travel Plans of Up to 180 Days
- 24/7 online Assistance
- No Coverage for Extreme Sports
- No Annual Travel Insurance Plan
- Limited Coverage on Expensive Trips
- Age Limit And Deny Coverage to 70+ Years Old
Use Skyscanner to book the cheapest flight possible. Skyscanner is my favorite flight search engine as you can find flights around the globe and from every airline possible. You'll be in great shape to get the best price possible.
You must grab a free trial or join Scott's Cheap Flights Premium to get cheap flight alerts directly to your email inbox. My favorite cheap flight alert was 25,000 Delta SkyMiles to London non-stop.