Now, if you’re a digital nomad yourself, you know that travel insurance is essential for planning a trip. All it takes is one flight delay or loss of baggage to ruin a perfectly planned trip to your destination. But, with a travel insurance plan, you can bravely face unforeseen events coming your way!
This article will introduce you to the best travel coverage for people like you. I searched far and wide and went through thousands of customer reviews. I also evaluated each insurance policy to bring you the best travel insurance in the market. Read along to find the travel insurance that suits your needs.
Best Travel Insurance Options for Digital Nomads & Remote Workers
Here are the best travel insurance companies for digital nomads:
1. SafetyWing Insurance
Some nomads desire to travel and explore several countries in the world. If this is you, then SafetyWing Insurance can help you experience worry-free travel with its plans.
SafetyWing travel medical insurance covers unforeseen events during international travel that may cause inconvenience. This includes travel delays, baggage loss, evacuation due to natural disasters, etc.
It also offers travel medical insurance for workers on their travels. This package covers hospitalization, intensive care, physical therapy, and other medical-related benefits.
The best thing about SafetyWing is that it caters to over 175 countries worldwide. With SafetyWing, there is no limit to what countries you can visit. If you’re planning to visit Europe, you can also use SafetyWing travel medical insurance to apply for a Schengen visa. If you want to learn more read our full SafetyWing review to see if their plans are right for you.
- SafetyWing travel insurance offers affordable, good-quality digital nomad insurance in over 175 countries.
- You don’t have to pay in full at once.
- This digital nomad insurance lets you make automatic monthly payments. With that, there is no need to worry about missing the deadline.
- SafetyWing ‘s nomad insurance includes two children under the age of 10 per adult.
- The travel medical insurance for digital employees covers COVID-19 cases.
- It is common to encounter difficulty making claims in SafetyWing Insurance. Sometimes, the processing alone takes months. Thus, buy services from them with caution.
- An international scooter license is required to be covered in the event of a scooter or motorcycle accident.
2. Insured Nomads
Insured Nomads is one of the best and most well-loved travel insurances for digital nomads. This is perfect for individuals, couples, and families on short-term trips.
Insured Nomads is a travel and global health insurance company for remote workers with offices based in the UK and the USA. But, far from those physical offices, the company promises insurance claims for a lost phone in Asia. Even care services in North America, damaged resources from a calamity in Oceania, rental car damage, and many more.
Insured Nomads has some of the broadest insurance coverages in the market. It offers insurance for remote employees that covers evacuation and repatriation. It also has plans covering property losses like lost luggage, transportation, and trip delays.
Insured Nomads also provides medical insurance. A good thing about this nomad insurance is that it covers COVID-19 cases. This is convenient for long-term travelers from countries seeking such a clause.
But, what makes Insured Nomads the best is its adventure sports coverage. Here, you are free to take part in various adventure sports without worry! This insurance covers mountaineering, cliff climbing, scuba diving, motorsports, and other outdoor adventures.
Insured Nomads claim to be an advanced tech-enabled insurance solution. Several reviews on their Facebook page have been proven as they are commended for great communication on all platforms. The company also shows a humanitarian heart. This is upon display of support towards “Not For Sale” – an organization against human trafficking.
Like what you are hearing? Read our full Insured Nomads review for more information.
Insured Nomads Pros
- Insured Nomads offers an excellent customer support system.
- Processing and application are straightforward.
- It offers a wide range of coverage.
- Insured Nomads include medical coverage for COVID-19.
Insured Nomads Cons
- This digital nomad travel insurance can be expensive.
3. Visitors Coverage
Visitors Coverage is a travel insurance company catering to 176 countries. It adopts comparison business tools to assist customers worldwide with their travel needs.
Navigating through the website of Visitors Coverage is effortless and convenient. You can find what you are looking for because the information is coherently arranged. Insurance plans, travel resources, and contact information are available in separate tabs.
Getting a quote for a plan is likewise straightforward. A ‘Get Quote’ button is available where you’ll answer a few questions based on your preferences. Your answers will determine the type of insurance plans curated for you.
Visitors Coverage offers a wide range of insurance products. It includes group insurance, trip cancellation insurance, ex-pat health coverage, and many more. Thus, you will likely find the insurance plan that best fits your needs here. Visitors Coverage has over a million customers and a 98% satisfaction rating. With this, it’s clear that it is a trusted insurance company for travelers. Read our full VisitorsCoverage review for more information on how we believe this platform can help you travel safely and securely.
Visitors Coverage Pros
- Visitors Coverage’s website has a pleasing interface.
- It has a lot of resources for travel insurance. Thus, prospective and even current customers are well-educated about their investments.
- This travel insurance has a broad range of plans and covers COVID-19 cases.
- Its customer service is excellent. Customer support employees are really helpful and knowledgeable.
Visitors Coverage Cons
- Recently, there was more than 24-hour system downtime on Visitors Coverage’s website. The company swore that they are doing everything to address bugs and issues on its website. But, there is no guarantee that this incident won’t happen again in the future.
InsureMyTrip is an experienced travel insurance agency in the industry. Its website houses various plans of different companies. InsureMyTrip features a comparison of insurance. It provides a side-by-side comparison of plans to see which fits your needs.
Comparison platforms like InsureMyTrip are lifesavers. A few clicks and a well-curated list of travel insurance for remote workers is right in front of you.
The best thing about InsureMyTrip is its comprehensive coverage for medical purposes. The agency covers illnesses, including avian flu, COVID-19, Zika virus, and Ebola. InsureMyTrip also covers treatment expenses for mental health issues.
- InsureMyTrip compares insurance plans side by side. This helps online nomads find the one that suits their needs.
- You get value for money.
- It includes insurance coverage for COVID-19.
- Customers attest to its hassle-free request for claims and award-winning customer service.
- InsureMyTrip provides documentation for a Schengen visa. But, it is often not accepted for visa applications.
- The website of this travel medical insurance for digital nomads often crashes.
5. AIG Travel Guard
AIG Travel Guard is a global insurance firm. It provides help to customers from all walks of life, including online nomads. You can find various plans from this provider!
Its famous Pack N’ Go plan is ideal for spontaneous travelers. As their adventures are not planned, cancellation coverage is insignificant for them. This plan covers trip interruption, baggage coverage, emergency evacuation, repatriation of remains, etc.
Travel Guard also has the Annual Travel Plan. The same benefits of the Pack N’ Go plan is included in this plan as well. The difference is that it extends to many trips throughout the year. Traveling employees may consider this if cancellation coverage is not among their considerations.
Travel Guard also offers three comprehensive packages, which are Deluxe, Preferred, and Essential. The only difference between these three is the number of claims. They also have trip cancellation coverage of up to 100% of the trip cost. Thus, it’s definitely the best choice for digital nomads.
AIG Travel Guard Pros
- Travel Guard offers a variety of insurance policy plans catering to different lifestyles.
- It has a comprehensive website, easy to navigate.
- The process of subscribing to a policy is hassle-free and straightforward.
- Travel Guard adjusted its plans to cover COVID-19 cases.
AIG Travel Guard Cons
- Travel Guard’s customer service isn’t a pleasant experience. Most of its agents often give delayed responses to concerns.
- Although it claims to be a global insurance firm, most of its plans are not available across the globe.
See Related: Things I’ve Learned From Becoming a Digital Nomad
Are you traveling with a group of fellow digital nomads? TravelInsurance.com can help you plan a secure traveling experience. Through this agency, remote workers can choose a package based on their travel needs, in their home country or abroad.
In case of lost luggage or delay, this travel insurance for digital nomads will cover you, also, to accidental death or dismemberment. They also support flight cancelation or delay. Plus emergency medical evacuation and treatments caused by adventure sports. It also covers cruise insurance, if that’s what you’re into.
If you’re country-hopping with a group of people, this insurance will protect you. TravelInsurance.com has the perfect travel packages for groups with the same itinerary. In group travel insurance, the cost per person is lower than individual insurance. It’s not the perfect option.
- This insurance allows you to compare travel insurance plans from different companies.
- TravelInsurance.com features insurance policies from top-rated travel insurance providers.
- Its travel medical insurance for online nomads covers COVID-19 cases.
- Filling out the form for this nomad insurance can be tricky.
- TravelInsurance.com‘s website interference is not user-friendly.
- This nomad insurance agency’s call center services are inefficient. They usually take hours before responding to a query.
7. Integra Global
A worldwide healthcare insurance plan for long-term travelers is offered by Integra Global. However, if you are looking for lost checked luggage assistance, trip interruption, travel delay, or cancellation coverage, go elsewhere.
All your medical expenses while on vacation are covered, which is rarely the case with standard travel and health insurance coverage.
Preventative care, such as dental work, physical exams, and mental health treatments in medical facilities in a foreign country. An example of this is counseling and therapy. Expenses such as this are rarely covered by most travel insurance companies, making Integra Global travel insurance worthy as an option for remote workers.
Integra Global Pros
- All licensed hospitals and doctors are welcome to use them.
- If you’re positive for COVID-19, you may be covered by this policy.
- One’s coverage is complete after the annual deductible has been met. You can choose from a variety of yearly deductible options.
- Treatment for pre-existing conditions is also accessible as an added service.
- To put it simply, they pay for a far bigger percentage of medical expenses.
Integra Global Cons
- Non-medical expenses will cause different policies.
- Its private health insurance does not fully cover you if you test positive for COVID-19 since conditions may apply.
- You must buy a policy that lasts at least a year.
- Direct billing requires payment beforehand. Reimbursement might take up to ten days for individuals who choose this method of payment.
Arch Insurance Company served as an underwriter for many years. It established RoamRight in 2012 to sell and manage insurance to customers directly. From here, it emerged as one of the best travel insurance providers for families today.
RoamRight provides coverage for trip cancellations, delays, and interruptions. This is perfect for digital nomads going on yearly trips. For the adventurous nomads, upgrades are also available to expand such coverage. This upgrade covers hazardous activities like bungee jumping, trekking, and the like.
With RoamRight, people traveling with a child below 17 years old can roam around worry-free. This is because it sells policies that cover one dependent at no extra cost for every covered parent. This is a major selling factor for this insurance for nomads!
Also, remote workers with pre-existing medical conditions and ongoing medical care can make claims. As long as the criteria specified under the chosen policy are met, then they are eligible to make claims.
- RoamRight offers flexible plans covering trip cancellations, lost baggage, accidental death, dismemberment, etc.
- RoamRight provides protection to children below 17 years old with no extra charge.
- All plans by RoamRight are underwritten by Arch, an A+-rated insurer.
- RoamRight does not cater to people who are non-U.S. citizens.
9. Travelex Insurance
Are you a digital nomad who travels with your children? Travelex Insurance has the perfect travel and health insurance coverage for you. It offers travel medical insurance for digital nomads for up to $50,000 worth of emergency medical or dental expenditures.
As a result, hospitalization, urgent care, and other medical expenses are no longer a concern. They will take care of your baggage and personal effects as well.
The benefits don’t stop here. Your digital nomad health insurance covers your minor children under the age of 17. The best thing about this? No extra premiums! Isn’t Travelex Insurance an excellent family travel insurance for digital nomads?
Like what you are hearing and want to learn more about it? Read our full Travelex review to learn more.
Travelex Insurance Pros
- This policy having emergency medical insurance also protects your children under 17 with no extra fee.
- This offers excellent customer support.
- It allows you to reschedule trips without extra payment.
Travelex Insurance Cons
- The website of Travelex Insurance is not user-friendly.
- The cost of annual coverage might not be at affordable price.
- The coverage for COVID-19 may be relatively restricted.
- Basic services have an extra insurance fee. Otherwise, they are not included.
10. IMG Global
Are you looking for an insurance company that can offer you a selection of coverage limits and packages for digital nomads? IMG Global offers several travel insurance plans that fit your needs, budget, and preference.
IMG Global’s insurance for nomads covers flight cancellation, emergency medical and dental aid, and many others. They also include COVID-19 assistance in their medical insurance package.
IMG Global is popular for its budget-level insurance plan. This plan is an affordable choice for digital nomads who are operating on a tight budget. It includes a $500,000 benefit for emergency or unexpected illness medical aid, a $500 benefit for travel delays, and more!
IMG Global Pros
- IMG Global’s travel and health insurance are affordable.
- Application for a policy is simple and easy.
- Cancellation and interruption coverage is covered at no extra cost in the event of a cancellation or interruption.
- Customers enjoy a smooth process for making claims.
IMG Global Cons
- Customer service representatives of IMG Global are responsive. But, they provide poor response and service.
- While the restriction is in place, US citizens are prohibited from returning to their home country.
- You’ll have to pay upfront and wait for reimbursement from your health insurance company.
- Foreign nationals have a 14-day grace period before their insurance is automatically canceled.
- Travel medical insurance excludes HIV-positive customers.
11. Allianz Global Assistance
Allianz Global Assistance is an award-winning company with travel insurance coverage. It is owned by the world’s largest insurance company, Allianz SE. Allianz Global Assistance delivers high-quality, innovative products to its customers through Allianz SE.
This company offers an extensive range of travel insurance plans. It covers trip cancellation and interruption, emergency medical reimbursements, baggage delay or loss, and many more. Allianz Global Assistance also provides concierge services. These services will help them score hotel reservations, event tickets, and the like. Concierge services are popular among travelers.
Millions of travelers rely on Allianz Global Assistance for their travel needs. This proves that the majority of its customers are happy with its services.
Allianz Global Assistance Pros
- This travel insurance for remote workers has an excellent website. You can find everything there, from the plans it offers to how-tos and travel resources.
- The benefits provided by Allianz Global Assistance are comprehensive and include epidemic medical coverage.
- Various accredited award-giving bodies recognized Allianz Global Assistance. Its impressive performance and contribution to the field were the reasons behind this. Thus, your investment is safe in the hands of Allianz Global Assistance.
Allianz Global Assistance Cons
- Claims filing and processing take about two months. This is far from what this nomad health insurance promises to deliver.
12. AARDY Travel Insurance
In choosing an insurance plan, nomads consider many factors. Among these are the plan’s cost, coverage, claim limits and feedback from customers. But it is not possible and efficient to check everything out to make sure that you picked the right one.
AARDY is the perfect solution to this dilemma. AARDY lets users compare different insurance companies and plans smoothly. It’s like Amazon but for digital nomads’ travel insurance.
Here’s how the comparison platform works. Simply go to the site and start providing information about yourself and your trip. AARDY will tailor the search results according to your answers.
To avoid getting results that don’t meet your needs, you can also set your preferences ahead of time when you start your search.
As soon as you’ve figured out what kind of coverage you need from the insurance provider, you may get travel insurance. This completes your quest for the right digital nomad insurance.
AARDY Travel Insurance Pros
- This reputable company has a user-friendly interface. Its website makes it simple to choose and buy a plan.
- This marketplace provides a huge selection of policies. Just type in your preferences, and you’ll find the perfect one for you.
- This company works with other reputable insurance companies that carry an A.M. Best rating of A or A+.
- It has excellent customer service. Its agents respond promptly and are very knowledgeable about travel and medical insurance.
AARDY Travel Insurance Cons
- The website of this insurance website does not run smoothly in Google Chrome. Thus, if this is your primary browser, you might experience hurdles as you navigate through it.
13. World Nomads
World Nomads is backed by a suite of specialist travel insurers that provide 24/7 emergency assistance, customer service and claims support. If you need medical assistance or emergency medical evacuation, World Nomads’ multi-lingual team is available 24/7 to connect you with medical treatment and transportation during your trip.
Had a change of plans? You can extend your period of cover or claim online at any point in your journey. You can even buy a World Nomads policy if you’re already travelling. Designed by travelers, for travelers, World Nomads covers over 150 adventure sports and activities so you can explore your boundaries.
World Nomads provides useful and up-to-date travel insurance information and global travel safety advice to help you plan for your journey and navigate the risks.
If you’re a digital nomad heading to EU countries, you need a Schengen visa. It’s a good thing you can use World Nomads’ best digital nomad insurance for the Schengen visa application. World Nomads assists in visa applications and facilitates prompt delivery.
Like what you are hearing? Read our full World Nomads review.
World Nomads Pros
- With World Nomads’ clear reputation and branding, you get value for your money.
- It covers a wide range of events so you can feel secure while traveling.
- It offers coverage in cases of assault and terrorism. This ensures safety for remote wor traveling to countries with armed conflict.
- This digital nomad health insurance covers COVID-19 cases.
World Nomads Cons
- You may experience difficulty in filing your claims from this nomad insurance.
- World Nomads can be unresponsive to customer complaints at times.
- Best Senior Travel Insurance Plans & Options
- Should I Get Travel Insurance through Alaska Airlines?
- Best Health Insurance for Visitors to the USA
Lock In Your Travel Now
Find Cheap Flights
Use Skyscanner to find flight deals. As my personal favorite flight search engine, Skyscanner scours websites and airlines across the globe, leaving no stone unturned to help you find the best deal possible. And if you really want to take your savings to new heights, pair Skyscanner with Going (Formerly Scott's Cheap Flights). With access to exclusive mistake fares delivered straight to your inbox, you'll be packing your bags and jetting off on your next adventure before you know it.
Travel insurance is a low cost way to ensure your travel plans go smooth no matter what's thrown at it. Cover yourself against illness, injury and theft, and protect the arrangements you've made with our flexible travel cancellation insurance. My favorite options for travel insurance are:
Book Your Accommodation
In order to capture the widest selection of properties and the best price, use Booking.com as they have the cheapest rates for guesthouses, hotels, luxury condos, B&Bs and so much more.
Want More Destination Ideas Direct to Your Inbox?
Be sure to join the ViaTravelers Newsletter for expert tips, tricks and inspiration for your next travel journey!
Discover the Best Travel Tools
Be sure to visit our page on our favorite travel resources to learn how you too can visit over 10 countries in year.