If you are traveling as a family, you need travel insurance. These are the best family travel insurance plans.
Whenever I think back to the happiest moments of my life, my thoughts inevitably return to family outings and vacations of yesteryear. I remember beach outings and how fun it was to play volleyball under the beating sun and blue skies.
Experiences like seeing the cherry blossoms up close in France, and enjoying real Neapolitan pizza in Italy meant so much more because I got to share them with the people who matter most to me.
As complicated and sometimes arduous the planning is, there hasn’t been a single day that I’ve regretted the decision to splurge on a family vacation.
What helps ease some of the pressure throughout the experience is securing good travel insurance for my family. We all know that family vacations can be expensive, but I believe they are worth every penny for the experiences and memories.
What we cannot afford, however, is to end up in a financial hole because of potential unfortunate accidents that could occur while abroad. The best way to prevent that from happening is by purchasing travel insurance for your family before you depart.
Table of Contents
- Our Favorite Travel Insurance Providers
- Best Travel Insurance Policies for Families
- 1. World Nomads Travel Insurance
- 2. TravelInsurance.com
- 3. AARDY Travel Insurance
- 4. Travelex Insurance Services
- 5. AIG Travel Guard
- 6. Atlas World Trips Travel Insurance
- 7. AXA Travel Insurance
- 8. Allianz
- 9. Nationwide
- 10. Seven Corners Travel Insurance
- What is family travel insurance?
- Can you get family travel insurance?
- Does travel insurance cover the whole family?
Our Favorite Travel Insurance Providers
If you’d like a comparison summary of the various travel insurance plans, including the pros and cons of each. We’ve laid that out here to help you decide. Here are our favorite ways to buy travel insurance.
- Best for Families Overall: Travelex Insurance Services
- Best Travel Insurance Overall: World Nomads Travel Insurance
- Best Travel Insurance Search Engine: AARDY Travel Insurance
- Best for Family Medical Travel Insurance: VisitorsCoverage
Best Travel Insurance Policies for Families
Check them out to see which one offers the plan that suits your family best!
I want to talk first about World Nomads Travel Insurance because I feel like they are the clear top choice if you need family travel health insurance and travel insurance services such as trip cancellation, trip interruption, and emergency medical costs.
Let’s start with the kind of coverage they provide. You get up to $100,000 of coverage if you get into an accident or fall ill during your trip overseas. That’s a high coverage limit which isn’t that common for a family travel insurance plan.
This leading insurance company also offers coverage for adventure sports enthusiasts. Whether it’s skiing, mountain biking, or surfing, they have you covered.
You don’t necessarily get that kind of medical expense coverage from all providers of travel insurance. Also, note that you get up to $300,000 worth of coverage for emergency evacuation should something unfortunate happen.
That’s the limit for the Standard Plan. If you’re on their Explorer Plan, the coverage limit is increased to $500,000. I also greatly appreciate how well they’ve integrated online functionality into their services. You can complete different transactions entirely online with World Nomads.
Extend your policy or file a claim online then just go about your day. You can also complete those transactions all throughout the day because they have customer service representatives working around the clock.
Overall though, you should be pleased with the type of coverage they offer.
Read our full World Nomads travel insurance review if you’d like to learn more.
- High coverage limits, including coverage for evacuations
- Accommodates various online transactions
- Extend your coverage in the middle of your trip
- Customer assistance services are available 24/7
- Dedicated insurance plans for sports enthusiasts, including scuba diving
- Donate to local communities with the help of World Nomads
- Some age-related limitations for specific policies
- Coverage for gadgets could be better
See Related: Best Scuba Diving Travel Insurance
When I was busy planning our first few family vacations, I had a hard time finding the right policies. It took ages to sort through all the providers and their respective plans.
Note that I did not have time on my side either. Between work and watching over the kids, I only had a couple of hours every day that I could use for research.
Dedicating a sizable amount of that time to finding the best travel insurance plans is likely not an ideal situation for you.
For that very reason is why I like websites like TravelInsurance.com. Let’s make it clear right now; TravelInsurance.com will not be the one to provide the insurance plan, rather, TravelInsurance.com is a comparison site that you can use to quickly get the lowdown on family travel insurance plans.
After supplying the website with details regarding your upcoming trip, they can then provide quotes on plans from their partner agencies. All you have to do now is sort through those plans until you find the one that fits your needs best.
Using TravelInsurance.com to pinpoint the insurance package you need is also a good idea if you want to enjoy some discounts. Every little bit helps when you’re saving for a family vacation, so it’s well worth taking advantage of those discount offers!
Once you have the plan you want, TravelInsurance.com will send it right to your email address. Like what you are hearing? Read our full TravelInsurance.com review.
- Gives you a detailed look at several insurance packages in seconds
- Fetches quotes for you from different insurance agencies
- The website offers discounts on some plans
- Allows you to make purchases right away
- TravelInsurance.com sends the policy directly to your email address
- You won’t be buying plans directly from TravelInsurance.com
- Filing claims can be a hassle to work out
See Related: 22 Best Pet Travel Insurance Options to Buy Today
Head here if you’re tired of parsing through all the available plans on your own to find the best one.
I like how easy searching for plans is through AARDY. Once you’re on their homepage, you can input what you’re looking for right away. AARDY can put the plans you want in front of you in just a matter of seconds.
You do have to supply some personal information during that process though and understandably, some folks are hesitant to do that online.
If you’re having a tough time figuring out exactly what type of plan is best for your family, use the filters on AARDY’s website. The filters will narrow down the number of plans that match your filters, making finding the right plan even easier.
Alternatively, you can cast a wide net while looking for your plan. Use the site to compare family travel insurance via categories if that will make things easier for you.
We would also be remiss if we failed to mention the large number of insurance companies that AARDY partners with. You don’t have to worry about missing out on some good plans if you utilize their services.
Like what you are hearing? Read more in our full AARDY travel insurance review.
- Quickly find health and travel insurance plans using AARDY
- Use filters to optimize your search
- Compare general details about competing plans using the site
- Get highly accurate quotes
- Obtain offers from a large variety of insurance providers
- You will have to provide some personal information
- Like Travelinsurance.com AARDY is a marketplace and not a direct provider of insurance
- Filing claims can be a hassle to work out
We know securing travel insurance is a must. You never know what can happen while you’re traveling in a foreign land. Misfortune can strike at any moment and the fallout could be ruinous for your family’s finances unless you are properly covered.
Of course, travel insurance for a family of 5 is not cheap. Add the cost of insurance to how much you’re already spending on the trip and it becomes easier to understand why families don’t go on vacation often.
This is why you need Travelex Insurance Services on your radar. Travelex makes insurance for each family member much more affordable.
Many of their plans extend free coverage to travelers under the age of 17. They also provide coverage for any senior citizens in the party.
Their look-back window is also quite short. That should allow for more senior citizens to be cleared and receive coverage.
Consumers also don’t have to set money aside for deductibles. Most of the plans provided by Travelex come with no deductibles for primary coverage. That’s a rarity among insurance providers.
If you’re willing to pay extra, you can also lock down an upgrade that allows you to cancel for any reason. It’s a nice perk to have in hand if you like to plan your family vacations several months in advance.
Do note however that their plans are lacking in terms of high-end medical coverage. Depending on who you’re traveling with, the coverage Travelex Insurance Services provides may simply not be enough.
Like what you are hearing? Read more in our full Travelex review.
- Free coverage for travelers under the age of 17
- Provides coverage for senior citizens
- Short look-back period
- No deductibles for primary coverage plans
- The upgrade allows you to cancel easily
- Plans are lacking when it comes to high-end medical coverage
- Selection of longer insurance plans is lackluster
Up next in the search for a travel insurance plan for families is AIG Travel Guard. It’s impossible to predict what will happen in the weeks and months leading up to your family vacation.
Someone may fall ill or something may come up at work that prevents you from moving forward with your plans. That’s a tough pill to swallow when you’ve already paid for both the trip and your insurance.
The great thing about AIG Travel Guard is that they provide plenty of protection against cancellations. Some of their plans allow you to recoup a significant percentage of the amount you paid even if you canceled your trip. To be more specific, you will be able to recover non-refundable, unused payments or deposits.
Let’s say that the emergency takes place while you’re already on a trip. You’ll be glad to be partnered with an AIG travel guard in that scenario; their travel insurance covers family emergency and can save you a lot of money.
Make use of their evacuation coverage if the need arises for it. You’re getting $500,000 worth of coverage from AIG’s plans.
Take your time when looking through the insurance plans provided by AIG. Some of the legal language used can be difficult to understand. Avoid purchasing the wrong kind of coverage by examining their offers thoroughly.
- Offers good protection for canceled trips
- Protection is also provided for interrupting family trips
- Sizable coverage for evacuations
- Name Your Family Bundle is useful for traveling with a friend
- AIG provides 24/7 customer assistance
- Some AIG insurance plans can be difficult to understand
- Medical coverage could be better
You should always be prepared for emergencies to occur. Plans could have to change at a moment’s notice and you need to be flexible – even for the very worst-case scenarios.
Securing travel insurance for death in the family is certainly an unpleasant necessity rather than a luxury.
Atlas Travel Insurance makes it much easier for its customers to prepare for the worst-case scenarios. That’s why many see them as a top family travel insurance company.
They present plans that safeguard your initial deposits. It’s a good call to purchase those plans if you’re not completely sure how your schedule will shake out.
Atlas Travel Insurance works with you closely if you have to cancel and that’s not something you can say about all providers.
I would also consider partnering with Atlas if I want annual family travel insurance. Their multi-trip plan covers vacations taken within 364 days.
There are additional perks included in that long-term plan that help you save money if you have to interrupt or delay your trips.
There’s a lot to like about Atlas’ plans, but they do come up short in some areas. Most notably, the coverage they provide for sports enthusiasts is severely lacking.
- Canceling will not be costly with Atlas Travel Insurance
- Good selection of long-term plans, including death and dismemberment plans
- Some plans provide coverage for people up to 99 years of age
- The relatively short look-back period
- Includes medical evacuation coverage
- Does not offer much in the way of coverage for outdoor sports enthusiasts
- Some plans do not cover pre-existing medical conditions
What’s the best travel insurance for families during a family trip to Europe and other international locales?
You could argue that it’s AXA Travel Insurance. AXA Travel Insurance boasts one of the largest international networks among all the providers out there and they can help you out of a tough spot no matter where you are in the world.
I also like the attention they give to families who are on vacation to engage in outdoor activities. If you need family travel insurance for skiing or snowboarding, you should strongly consider partnering with AXA.
They provide coverage for what they term as “Lost Skier Days” as well as the pieces of equipment you rent, letting you take on the slopes with your family knowing that AXA Travel Insurance has your back.
Speaking of families, AXA will give you a discount of up to 10 people are using the same policy. You don’t have to limit your traveling party that much if you’re getting your policy from AXA.
They also offer evacuation coverage and plans that come bundled together with protection for canceled trips.
After learning about all those perks, you can see why many regard AXA as the best family travel insurance provider.
Unfortunately, some of their plans do come with limitations based on age and place of residence. Those restrictions can stop you from getting the plan you want.
- Good choice for international travel
- Comprehensive outdoor sports coverage
- Discount for up to 10 family members on the same policy
- Canceling your plan is easy with AXA
- Evacuation coverage included
- Some plans include limitations based on age and place of residence
- Long-term plans not provided
Last but not least, we want to discuss Allianz as a potential company to use for your family trips.
Allianz is one of the largest insurance providers in the world and they have built a wide variety of plans to cover virtually any type of situation. You have a lot of options to choose from if you decide to purchase your family travel insurance from Allianz. The chances of you finding a plan that best suits your family are high.
Allianz also offers a lot of plans that are designed for long trips which is a real plus. They also have plans that provide free coverage to travelers under the age of 17. This makes them a top choice for parties with young kids.
Folks who intend to use a rental car during their vacation should also consider buying a policy from Allianz. They offer comprehensive coverage for rental vehicles on your trip.
Their coverage limits are a bit on the low side from my perspective. They also don’t offer much in the way of coverage if you’re an outdoor sports enthusiast.
If you’re okay with those limitations, then Allianz will work for you.
- A large variety of plans
- Specializes in providing coverage for long trips
- Travelers under the age of 17 get free coverage
- Rental car coverage included
- Makes 24/7 customer service available
- Coverage limits are somewhat low
- No coverage available for extreme outdoor sports
Nationwide is one of the bigger insurance providers in the country. They have a case to be considered as an easy way to purchase travel insurance for your entire family in the USA.
They also have numerous local agents spread throughout the country. If you need help with your plan, you can head over to one of their agents quickly and get the matter resolved by the experts.
The thing I appreciate the most about Nationwide’s plans is how they cover all the basics. You’re not missing out on any kind of important features if you decide to partner with them.
Also, note that there are add-ons available for Nationwide’s plans. Get those add-ons if you want to improve your plan and secure more coverage. Those add-ons can help you effectively customize your plan.
By the way, Nationwide also has a robust, easy-to-use online network you can use if you ever need to file claims online.
Nationwide also has 24/7 customer support so you can go to them for assistance if you need help to buy travel insurance or file a claim.
Although there’s a lot to like about Nationwide, they are not the provider you want to work with if you’re going on a long trip with your family. They really don’t offer a lot of incentives to make that worthwhile. Plus, they do have some pretty steep cancellation fees.
- Nationwide’s plans cover all the basics
- Secure add-ons for your plan if you so desire
- Local agents found throughout the country
- File claims online
- 24/7 customer service is available
- Not the best travel insurance provider for long trips
- Canceling with them will cost you a lot of money
What I like most about Seven Corners Travel Insurance is how flexible they are when it comes to their offerings. They give their customers the ability to customize their travel insurance packages, so you only pay for what you want or need.
You can change a lot of the details in your plan. Adjust your coverage, the deductible, and other elements. Partner with Seven Corners Travel Insurance to better understand how one change will affect the protection you get while you’re overseas.
They have more to offer than just that though, for instance, some of their plans come with no deductibles. That should help you save a pretty penny.
They also have plans that are specially crafted with students in mind. Traveling can be an enormous expenditure for many students, and really the best time to travel is while you’re young, so it’s great to have an insurance provider that offers plans specifically for them.
Unsurprisingly, there are also some downsides to the plans provided by Seven Corners Travel Insurance.
Depending on where you live or where you want to go, Seven Corners may not present you with an insurance plan.
They also have a pretty long look-back period which could disqualify a lot of applicants from receiving coverage. Seven Corners provides good coverage, but it can be tough to secure for some consumers.
Like what you are hearing? Read our full Seven Corners travel insurance review.
- Presents consumers with customizable coverage
- Some plans come with no deductibles
- Plans specifically made for students
- Pre-existing condition waiver
- Offers single and multi-trip plans
- Long look-back period
- Sets area-based limitations on whom they offer coverage to
What is family travel insurance?
This type of insurance provides coverage for you, your spouse, and your kids who are living in the same place. Depending on your policy, when you buy travel insurance for your family you’ll be covered for trip cancellation, emergency medical expenses, trip interruption, emergency evacuation coverage, and/or incremental existing life insurance.
Can you get family travel insurance?
Yes, a family travel insurance policy typically covers a person or two living in a household plus at least one young person aged under 18 living at the same address.
Does travel insurance cover the whole family?
Yes, but make sure you read the plan details to ensure you are getting the appropriate insurance coverage and limits to meet the needs of your family.
- Best Travel Insurance for Pre-Existing Conditions
- Best Travel Insurance for Diabetics
- 11 Best Travel Insurance for South America
- 10 Best Health Insurance for Visitors to the USA
Use Skyscanner to book the cheapest flight possible. Skyscanner is my favorite flight search engine as you can find flights around the globe and from every airline possible. You'll be in great shape to get the best price possible.
You must grab a free trial or join Scott's Cheap Flights Premium to get cheap flight alerts directly to your email inbox. My favorite cheap flight alert was 25,000 Delta SkyMiles to London non-stop.