Looking for luxury, affordable, or bed and breakfast accommodation in Cinque Terre? Don’t worry we’ve got you covered with all the best places to stay in Cinque Terre.
Cinque Terre (pronounced cheen-kweh teh-rreh) is a beautiful area in Italy composed of five small towns. Cinque Terre is a great place to visit in Italy, it is picturesque coastal Italy.
When you think of a small coastal town in Italy in your head, an image pretty similar to Cinque Terre is bound to appear! Visiting Cinque Terre is simply a must-do while visiting Italy. It will be beautiful scenery that you will never forget.
Like most things in Italy, it is not too commercialized and some research should go into planning your trip to Cinque Terre. Specifically, where to stay in Cinque Terre may be a bit challenging. Each of the towns has its own hotels, but most bed and breakfasts.
Most places that are available to stay in at Cinque Terre towns are someone’s homes that they are renting out. Booking.com is a huge resource that many local business owners use in Cinque Terre, as well as Airbnb.
Depending on the type of place you are wanting to stay in Cinque Terre, you may want to stay in different towns, as some (like Monterroso) offer more options than others (like Corniglia).
The places to stay in Cinque Terre listed below are some of the best and most reviewed in the area. Be sure to book months in advance, these places do book out very easily!
As soon as you decide you want to go to Cinque Terre, book a place to stay!
Table of Contents
- Map of Cinque Terre
- Things to Note About Cinque Terre Cities:
- Overview of Each Cinque Terre Village
- Cinque Terre National Park Activities & Sights to See
- Where to Stay in Monterroso
- Best Places to Stay in Monterroso
- Where to Stay in Vernazza
- Best Places to Stay in Vernazza
- Where to Stay in Corniglia
- Best Places To Stay in Corniglia
- Where to Stay in Manarola
- Best Places to Stay in Manarola
- Where to Stay in Riomaggiore
- Best Places Stay in Riomaggiore
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What town is best to stay in Cinque Terre?
- Which Cinque Terre beach is best?
- Are there luxury hotels in Cinque Terre?
- Where to Stay in Cinque Terre Without a Car?
- Where to Stay in Cinque Terre With a Car?
- How Much Does Lodging Cost in Cinque Terre?
Map of Cinque Terre
Let’s check out the full view of the five towns that make Cinque Terre what it is. Here is a full Cinque Terra map to help you understand the setup and region.
Things to Note About Cinque Terre Cities:
- There are five different cities, anywhere from 1 – 5 miles apart.
- These cities or towns are very small, all walkable.
- The best time to visit is from April to September, anytime after that many things in the area will close or it will be too cold to enjoy the beaches.
- The worst months to visit are November and January – practically nothing is open and there is little maintenance done to walking paths.
- There are trains taking passengers from town to town running throughout the day, this is the most popular form of transport between the five towns, it takes around 4-6 minutes on the train in between each town.
- There are also boats for hire, this is a popular way to travel between towns and for excursions. This is a more expensive option than trains. The ferry costs around 12 euros one way, and this also only stops at four of the five islands, as one is not accessible by water. Other boats can be independently hired.
- There are hiking paths between each town as well. These are ranging from around 1 mile to around 2.5 miles.
- The Cinque Terre Villages are closed to car traffic except for one road. It is highly recommended not to bring cars into Cinque Terre. The parking costs around 15 euros a day, only some hotels and stays will offer parking – usually for a price.
- A Cinque Terre card of 16 euros is a great card to purchase for complimentary access to hiking paths and trains.
Overview of Each Cinque Terre Village
The best places to stay in Cinque Terre will be different for each person depending on their needs, tastes, and budget. Some people want a place with the best views or the best access to hiking trails; others prefer a bustling city center or secluded getaway. To find your accommodation option, you really first need to answer the question of what you want to do.
No matter what you’re looking for, Cinque Terre is sure to have it!
Here is an overview of each town in Cinque Terre.
- Riomaggiore – population 1,000 – stunning view from Monte dell Orso (aka “The Bear Mountain”) where you can see the town as well as Portovenere & La Spezia over the water. Riomaggiore has lots of shops and restaurants along the main street and a train station.
- Manarola – population 1,500 – best view from La Punta where you can see all of Riomaggiore over to Monterosso. There are some shops on the main street but also many isolated streets that have only one or two buildings per block with hardly any people.
- Corniglia – population 600 – the best place to stay is probably Castello Brown which is just above town with a great view of everything. The only hotels in town are small family-run places so it may be best to look for other options if you first want a hotel and then get acquainted with the area as your home base. There are trains that service Corniglia but they don’t go to all the neighboring villages so you’ll definitely need a car.
- Vernazza – population 1,500 – the best place to stay is probably closer to town since there isn’t much of an upper skyline in Vernazza like Manarola/Corniglia.
- Monterosso – the best place to stay is probably closer to town since there isn’t much of an upper skyline.
Cinque Terre National Park Activities & Sights to See
These are some of the main activities to do and things to see while you are in the Cinque Terre region. You can also walk from Corniglia to Vernazza, but you should be aware of the best times during the day (the best time is at night since there are no cars on the road).
- Beaches: best beaches are at Monterosso (Portovenere is the best), Portovenere, La Spezia, and Levanto. If beaches are your main priority, skip Manarola/Corniglia since they don’t have any good beaches in the area.
- Views: best views are from all of Cinque Terre but there aren’t any best places to stay in Cinque Terre for views.
- Wine: best wines are Oltrepò Pavese, Barolo (Barbaresco/Grinzane), and Barbaresco/Roero.
- Food: best food is found in La Spezia, Portovenere (especially Marina di Portovenere), Lerici, and Levanto.
- Things to do: best things to do are hiking the trails (as mentioned above), visiting nearby villages/cities (La Spezia is best for this since it’s in between Cinque Terre & Genova), and eating as much food as possible!
- Hiking: most hike from Riomaggiore to Corniglia and then go up the mountain (Monte Centeleghe) to get down into Vernazza; the best time for this hike is the late afternoon/evening when it’s cooler. Maybe grab a snack off the many olive groves you pass through this scenic hike.
Where to Stay in Monterroso
This is the furthest northern town in Cinque Terre. Monterroso is the largest town of the five, it has the largest beach access and promenade. This is where you can find a lot of action, you can rent sunbeds, paddleboards, and umbrellas throughout the day.
The water is crystal clear and absolutely a wonderful way to fully encounter a beach in Italy. Among restaurants and shops, you will also find homemade limoncello from lemons grown in Monterroso.
There are castles still standing dating back to when the town was in need of protection from pirates. On your way up to the hiking path, if you chose to go this way, there are stunning views and monuments like San Francesco marking historical aspects of Monterroso.
Best Places to Stay in Monterroso
II Giardino Incantato – this hotel has great reviews and is nestled in a unique area that is close to all three beaches in Monterroso. The hotel offers a beautiful garden, great wi-fi, air conditioning (which is uncommon), private bathrooms, and breakfast with the stay! This would be a very adequate stay in Cinque Terre.
Hotel 5 Terre – this hotel in Cinque Terre is for you if you want to be close to the action and enjoy free parking. This hotel is right in the center of Monterroso with beaches nearby. Pets are allowed in this location. If you are looking to be near the beach, this is as close as it gets!
Porto Roco– this luxury hotel in Cinque Terre has outstanding views and its own private beach and infinity pool. The rooms all have wifi, air conditioning, tv, and a minibar. Most rooms have sea views as well!
Hotel Villa Adriana – this is a boutique hotel with quite a bit of amenities! There are a pool and restaurant located within the hotel and it is very close to the train station which would make this hotel a great base stay for traveling around the five towns. Guests rave about the included breakfast and the FREE PARKING. This is a great hotel to stay at if you plan on bringing a car.
Bed and Breakfasts
B&B II Parco – this bed and breakfast has a pool! Each room has a balcony or sea view, with free shuttle access from the train station. About a 10-minute walk to the beach, this bed and breakfast really has great views.
SCIUSCETTÙA 5 TERRE – if you are looking for a more private stay in Monterosso, this Airbnb is for you. The whole flat is available for a very reasonable price, just 250 meters from the beach! This is a great place to check out if you would like your own kitchen!
See Related: 8 Epic Reasons to Travel to Italy
Where to Stay in Vernazza
The second town in Cinque Terre, Vernazza, would take you about 3 hours to hike to, or a 6-minute train ride – however adventurous you are feeling. Many people think that Vernazza is the most aesthetic of all the villages, but it is so hard to pick a favorite when they are all so beautiful!
Vernazza is situated around one small piazza and wharf. There are plenty of fishermen that come in and out of this wharf and fresh fish can be sold from the cafes nearby!
Vernazza has one of the best views from higher up, so it is recommended you find your way up one of the hills to see the view!
Best Places to Stay in Vernazza
Hotels in Vernazza
Michela Rooms Vernazza – This hotel is one of the most affordable options with the best value. All of the rooms have views of the plaza, balconies, and ensuite bathrooms.
Santa Marta Rooms 25 – This hotel is a very clean and chic option for travelers. All rooms have free wifi and kitchen features. There is also parking available, which is a huge perk! The hotel is a bit further away from the plaza, but that means great views!
Luxury Hotels in Vernazza
GIANNI FRANZI – Those who stay at this hotel are getting an authentic Vernazza stay. These are some of the oldest hotel rooms available, giving them a very true authentic feel. This hotel offers luxury views from the garden and its very own restaurant which many people go to without staying in the hotel.
Albergo Barbara – The luxury at this hotel is the location. Located right in the center of the plaza, you will not find a more perfect location. All rooms are very spacious and made for you to feel at home.
Bed and Breakfast Options in Vernazza
Breathtaking Sea View Apt – This apartment is a beautiful modern apartment with wonderful views of the plaza. Two bedrooms, and one bathroom right in the heart of Vernazza. In addition, upon booking the host is said to give you local tips that not many know about!
Charm Appartments Jacuzzi – Clearly, this Airbnb knows how to be unique, by offering a Jacuzzi! This location really ticks all of the boxes: spacious apartment to yourself, in the middle of the Vernazza plaza, with a jacuzzi, balcony, and modern accommodations.
Where to Stay in Corniglia
The longest hike is the one from Vernazza to Corniglia, about 4km! This one also consists of a multitude of steps, so definitely is not a hiking or walking path for those unable to do a bit of climbing.
Corniglia is often overlooked as one of the better towns due to its lack of water access and its height, but it is truly unique in Cinque Terre, and worth at least a stopover!
Being one of the smaller and less commercialized places also means not as many hotels or places to stay, but again that is just part of the charm. Corniglia has cute small restaurants and cafes tucked away making all of them truly match the Italian village aesthetic.
See Related: What You Need to Know About Shopping in Milan
Best Places To Stay in Corniglia
Hotels to Stay In Corniglia
Affittacamere Le Terrazze– This is a guest house that is offered as a hotel room. There is a private bathroom, jacuzzi, and garden terrace for guests. This is a great resting spot having you feel cozy in Italy.
Corto Del Gallo – this is one of the most luxurious locations in Corniglia. The air conditioning and TV add only a little appeal when compared to the outdoor amenities.
The porch and garden area are well-equipped with sunset-watching furniture. Since Corniglia is a very nice place to stay overnight instead of for a long period of time, this is a great spot to consider.
Luxury Hotels In Corniglia
While Corniglia is lovely, it is not one of the most popular towns in Cinque Terre, making it a bit less commercialized.
There are not necessarily any “luxury stays” in Corniglia, just many nice, authentic Italian stays.
Bed and Breakfasts in Corniglia
Pele This Airbnb is a huge light-focused area. With windows everywhere, you will feel absolutely majestic in this home. This location has wifi, air conditioning, and parking! A wide-open space with an ocean view, this is a great spot to stop and make yourself feel at home.
Charming Studio is exactly what it sounds like. This wide-open studio gives a modern feel to the classic Italian studio. There is immediate access, down a few stairs to a swimming marina which is pretty special. In addition, the home has free wifi and breakfast included.
See Related: Milan Travel Guide
Where to Stay in Manarola
The hike from Corniglia to Manarola is a fairly easy one! It is mostly downhill and along the water. Again, the train is a pretty option as well!
Manarola is a favorite of the towns because it combines two of the Cinque Terre vibes – ocean towns and cliffside towns. There is just a small port in Manarola with some water access, then the rest of the town is on a cliff.
Manarola is home to small shops and restaurants and one of the best places to watch the sunset. Boats also stop at Manarola for tours, so this could be another thing you check out!
Best Places to Stay in Manarola
Hotels in Manarola
Giovanni Rooms– these hotel rooms are filled with exposed cobblestone from sitting on the cliff. They are large, uncluttered, and come with modernized and updated bathroom facilities! This location is friendly for those with a car, or with children!
Posidonia Cinque Terre is one of the largest hotels in the area and more of what American-style hotels are like. They are all rooms in a combined building area. Each room has air conditioning and a private bathroom. Most rooms have a balcony or private garden access. The area is decorated with fairy lights and kept clean. You have to check this one out.
Ca’D’Andrean is similar to a bed and breakfast but there are a few room options. This hotel is very clean and modern. There is a free breakfast and a very secluded feel to these rooms. This would be a great hotel for a couple!
Luxury Hotels in Manarola
La Toretta is one of the only “luxury” hotels in Manarola. The rooms are extremely modern, the Deluxe Room has a room-wide balcony showcasing the best views in Manarola. Each room can come with a Nespresso Coffee Machine and a Wine bar.
Bed and Breakfast Stays in Manarola
Serravallo vista mare is an entire apartment that can be rented out. There is a full kitchen, a sunroom, and a washing machine!
This is a great spot to make yourself feel at home. Not to mention the beautiful design and convenient location.
See Related: Ultimate Guide to Living in Italy
Where to Stay in Riomaggiore
The last town of the five is not to be skipped at all! Especially the hiking trail.
If you do any of the hikes from town to town, Manarola to Riomaggiore should be the one. It has become known as “Lover’s Lane” due to the romantic feel of the beautiful picturesque views.
Riomaggiore is said to have some of the clearest water. Kayaking and swimming are popular here- but there is no large beach so don’t be prepared to lounge here. But, you definitely can lounge at some restaurants and bars!
This town is also a very quick ride to La Spezia, which is a more inland town that can connect you to other buses and trains taking you to destinations around Italy.
See Related: 9 Vacations with Minimal Walking
Best Places Stay in Riomaggiore
Hotels in Riomaggiore
Creuza De Ma we have a hot tub at this one! Of course, this is a huge drawing point for this hotel. There is also the option to have garden terraces or sun terraces, depending on the room you pick. This is a wonderful place to stay in a great location!
Il Borgo Di Campi this hotel has a great unique part – sunbeds! The hotel is placed high over the Riveria, with a great garden and relaxing place to sit out.
Each apartment has its own patio and kitchenette.
Luxury Hotels In Riomaggiore
Cinque Terre Residence this location really shines bright at night – literally! There are so many different ways to view sunsets and relax at this location. With a panoramic patio and balconies and an external hot tub, you can definitely find bliss. In addition, a buffet breakfast is available in the mornings!
Villa Argentina you will be feeling like you are staying in a castle here! The hotel views of the ocean are incredible and you will be treated like royalty.
This is a great way to stay in these Cinque Terre in luxury.
Bed and Breakfasts In Riomaggiore
Bright Light in the heart of Riomaggiore you can not get any closer to all of the action! This flat is bright, open, and a wonderful place to people-watch! There is a washing machine, TV, and kitchenette in this location.
5 Sensi Di Mare is an apartment that comes with insider advice! This Airbnb is accommodated with a resource guide for all of the towns, including what to do beyond Cinque Terre! The apartment is conveniently located at equal distances from private beaches, shops, and restaurants.
Now that you know all the best places to stay in Cinque Terre – it’s time to start planning your trip! Remember to plan in advance and then relax and enjoy the views!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What town is best to stay in Cinque Terre?
The best town for most people to stay in Cinque Terre is Vernazza. It’s an attractive medieval village that boasts of canals, bakery storefronts, and a captivating charm.
Which Cinque Terre beach is best?
The best beaches for relaxation and swimming are Monterosso Beach, Vernazza Beach, Manarola Beach, and Riomaggiore Beach.
Are there luxury hotels in Cinque Terre?
The best places to stay in Cinque Terre would be the best resort hotels, like Relais & Chateaux’s La Splendida and SPA. There are other luxury hotels within the area.
The town of Vernazza also has a number of luxury hotel options for weary travelers looking for a relaxing retreat. These lodgings include Villa Cissi and Hotel La Caravella among others. Or you can rent an apartment or villa that suits your needs just about anywhere in town!
Where to Stay in Cinque Terre Without a Car?
There are places in Monterosso al and Vernazza where you can stay without a car. Hotels and B&Bs can often shuttle guests to the center of town for a small fee or complimentary with required advance notice.
Monterosso al Mare is best for families and couples without a car since it’s the only town with formal accommodations like hotels and campsites. The best time to visit Monterosso al Mare is May through October when you’ll be woken up by the sound of waves crashing into a cliff.
Where to Stay in Cinque Terre With a Car?
The best place to stay in Cinque Terre with a car is Monterosso al Mare. But it can be cheaper to park your car in one of the bigger towns nearby and take the train from there.
How Much Does Lodging Cost in Cinque Terre?
Depending on the season, lodging can cost between $130USD – $550EUR per night for a furnished apartment with a kitchenette.
The best way to find lodging in Cinque Terre on a budget is to try Airbnb, walk around the town loaded with maps and information for backpackers, and go into museums seeking advertisements that list amenities such as “ultimo” or last minute.
Ideally, you will be looking for a package that includes airfare and accommodations at the best way to save money in Cinque Terre is also best for those who are not looking for a party weekend and prefer to experience the small town, European village lifestyle of this coastal region.
This usually costs $130 – $550 per night inclusive of taxes and breakfast will provide the best all-around experience for guests looking to stay in this magnificent town since many gorgeous apartments and homes have fantastic views of the Mediterranean Sea. There really aren’t any Cinque Terre hostels so you’ll have to get creative if you are on a very tight budget.
- 18 Best Places To Visit In Northern Italy (Ranked)
- 15 Top Things to do in Bolzano
- The Ultimate Guide For Living In Italy
- 20 Best Wine Regions In Italy
- Best Things to do in Ravello
Use Skyscanner to book the cheapest flight possible. Skyscanner is my favorite flight search engine as you can find flights around the globe and from every airline possible. You'll be in great shape to get the best price possible.
You must grab a free trial or join Scott's Cheap Flights Premium to get cheap flight alerts directly to your email inbox. My favorite cheap flight alert was 25,000 Delta SkyMiles to London non-stop.