Breckenridge, Colorado, is a wonderful place to visit at any time of year. In the warmer months, the city is a playground for hikers, mountain bikers, birdwatchers, hunters, fishermen and women, and warm-weather outdoor enthusiasts.
In the winter, it’s a winter wonderland that calls to skiers, snowboarders, snowshoers, snowmobilers, and anyone who loves the beauty of Rocky Mountain winters. The Breckenridge ski resort is one of the best in the nation.
The spring and fall seasons are lovely as well. Spring brings wildflowers galore, and visitors are dazzled by the fall foliage that really pops in the autumn. No matter what you like to do and see, Breckenridge is an excellent destination for all, including solo travelers, couples, friends, and families, too.
If you’re planning a trip to Breckenridge, one of the first things you’ll want to do is secure accommodations for yourself and your group. As this area is popular with tourists, there is a wide variety of accommodation options, and some of the best options are booked quickly.
If you haven’t visited this mountain town before, then you might not know where to begin when it comes to planning your stay in Breckenridge. That’s where we come in. We’ve put together this post to help you figure out where to stay in Breckenridge.
In it, we’ll tell you about the best areas to stay in Breckenridge and all about our favorite hotels and vacation rentals. Read on to learn more; you’ll feel more ready to plan your visit after reading this. If you’re looking for the best hotels in Breckenridge, you came to the right place.
What We Cover
- TL;DR: Best Places to Stay in Breckenridge
- Best Areas to Stay in Breckenridge
- Where to Stay in Breckenridge, Colorado
- 1. Downtown Breckenridge: Best Area for First-Timers
- 2. On the Mountain: Best Area for Luxury Travelers
- 3. The North Side of Breckenridge: Best Area for Budget Travelers
- 4. Blue River: Best Area for Families
- Tours in Breckenridge
- What’s the best time of year to visit Breckenridge?
- How can I get to Breckenridge from the airport?
- Is Breckenridge safe?
TL;DR: Best Places to Stay in Breckenridge
- Luxury Hotel in Breckenridge: The Ranahan by Vacation Club Rentals
- Mid-Range Hotel in Breckenridge: Beaver Run Resort & Conference Center
- Budget Hotel in Breckenridge: Mountain Thunder Lodge
- Vacation Rental in Breckenridge: Dog-Friendly Cabin With Mountain Views (Blue River)
Best Areas to Stay in Breckenridge
- Area for First-Timers/Tourists: Downtown Breckenridge
- Area for Budget Travelers: The North Side of Breckenridge
- Area for Luxury Travelers: On the Mountain
- Area for Safety: Anywhere! Breckenridge is very safe.
- Area for Families: Blue River or Downtown
Where to Stay in Breckenridge, Colorado
1. Downtown Breckenridge: Best Area for First-Timers
You’ll love historic downtown Breckenridge, CO – everyone does. It’s the heart of this little mountain town, and there’s plenty to see and do there. Historic Main Street is always active and is packed with wonderful shops, bars, and restaurants.
Walking around the historic district will give you a good feel for what life was like in this area a hundred years ago or more, but at the same time, it’s also modern and updated with something for every visitor and every budget.
If you stay in this historic district, you’ll have easy access to the Breckenridge Welcome Center – it’s a great resource for learning about the Rocky Mountains, this area, and things to do during your visit.
The Barney Ford Victorian House is a free museum you can tour to see how people lived in this area long ago, and the Edwin Carter Museum, full of taxidermied animals, is an interesting way to learn about Rocky Mountain wildlife.
This area is also home to the Mountain Top Explorium, a fantastic children’s museum that your kids will love, or on a beautiful day, take them to Carter Park to romp around. Further, the Breckenridge Alpine Garden is beautiful when the flowers bloom. After doing it all, you can have a beer at Breckenridge Brewery to start your day.
Staying in the downtown part of Breckenridge, CO is a fantastic way to get to know this town and to be close to everything. You’ll love staying in this part of town. It’s truly the best place to stay in Breckenridge if you want to be in the center of it all; many of the best hotels in Breckenridge are in the downtown area on or near Main Street. These are our choices for the best accommodations:
- Budget Hotel in Downtown Breckenridge: Mountain Thunder Lodge – Mountain Thunder Lodge is a great choice for budget travelers and is just a short walk from downtown; it’s also just 650 feet from the BreckConnect Gondola, so you can enjoy everything that Breckenridge has to offer without going very far from your home base.
- Mid-Range Hotel in Downtown Breckenridge: Marriott’s Mountain Valley Lodge – Marriott’s Mountain Valley Lodge is a well-rated hotel steps away from several lifts that will take you to the top of the mountain during ski season. Still, it’s also within walking distance from all the fun and action of downtown. You’ll love Marriott’s Mountain Valley Lodge – especially its many hot tubs with great views.
- Luxury Hotel in Downtown Breckenridge: Residence Inn by Marriott Breckenridge – This Residence Inn is closer to downtown than the two described above, so you’ll be in the center of the action for whatever you wish to do in town. It offers king and queen studios and one and two-bedroom suites. This is one of the best hotels in Breckenridge.
See Related: Things to Do in Fort Collins, Colorado
2. On the Mountain: Best Area for Luxury Travelers
If you’re traveling to Breckenridge to ski at Breckenridge Ski Resort in the winter or enjoy the countless hiking opportunities in the summer, or you’d like to be away from the main hustle and bustle of downtown, then you might consider staying on the mountain. It’s the perfect place to stay for your ski trip.
The best area to stay in Breckenridge if you want quick access to the mountain all the time is on the mountain itself so you can be on time for ski school. You’ll be just steps away from the ski lifts, and most hotels offer a free shuttle service into town.
When you stay on the mountain in Breckenridge, CO, you can take advantage of ski-in, ski-out rooms to spend all day enjoying Breckenridge Ski Resort with little effort or time wasted. In the summer, Breckenridge Ski Resort keeps the fun going with Epic Discovery at Breck; the mountain offers warm-weather activities like alpine slides, mini-golf, bungee trampolines, mountain biking, and more.
If you’re planning an active vacation, staying right on the mountain will be an excellent choice for you and your companions. These are our top choices for doing just that:
See Related: Best Restaurants in Breckenridge, Colorado
- Mid-Range Hotel on the Mountain: Beaver Run Resort and Conference Center – This is a well-rated, very popular accommodation in Breckenridge. There are hotel rooms for all types of groups from standard rooms to studios to one and two-bedroom suites and all are spacious and comfortable and have kitchenettes. After a long day on the ski slopes, you’ll love sitting in the resort’s hot tubs.
- Luxury Hotel on the Mountain: BlueSky Breckenridge – This luxury property is at a level that’s above and beyond most Breckenridge hotels. Although it’s categorized as a hotel and has a 24-hour front desk, it’s really better described as a collection of luxury apartments. It’s one of the best luxury hotels in the area.
- Vacation Rental on the Mountain: Saddlewood Snowbird Townhome – This property is 1,749-square feet and sleeps ten guests in three bedrooms. There are also three full baths, a kitchen, a fireplace, a deck and patio with a hot tub, and on top of all of that, it’s a ski-in, ski-out property, too. There’s a shuttle into town that’s just a three-minute walk away.
See Related: Things to Do in Vail, Colorado
3. The North Side of Breckenridge: Best Area for Budget Travelers
Staying on the north side of Breckenridge is another way to be a bit outside of downtown but still close to everything. Because Breckenridge is about a half hour south of I-70, you’ll pass through the north side of town on your way to town from the interstate.
This area is quieter than others, and some of the accommodations are also a bit cheaper. But, you’ll still have easy access to restaurants and things to do in this part of town, and you will have the option of going into Breckenridge or nearby Frisco and Silverthorne for meals, shopping, and activities with just a few minutes in the car.
If you don’t want to go into town, there’s still plenty to do in this area. Breckenridge Golf Club is here on the north side of town, as is the Gold Run Nordic Center, which is the best place for cross-country skiing in Breck. This area is also a great place for horseback riding in warmer months.
Further, people staying on the north side of Breckenridge will have easy access to the towns of Frisco and Silverthorne to the north and the many additional restaurants and shops that can be found there. I-70 isn’t far away either, which leads to many other incredible Colorado mountain towns as well.
If the north side of Breckenridge sounds right to you, we recommend these accommodations:
- Mid-Range Hotel on the North Side of Breckenridge: Hyatt Residence Club Breckenridge – This property offers king studios, two-bedroom suites, and three-bedroom apartments, so it’s an excellent, affordable option for any size group. There’s a heated, outdoor pool, free parking, a fitness center, and a hot tub on site. The hotel offers a free ski valet to shuttle you when you’re ready.
- Luxury Hotel on the North Side of Breckenridge: The Ranahan by Vacation Club Rentals – The Ranahan is quite a distance north of town compared to the other hotels listed here, but this resort is excellent and it’s still only just a few minutes outside of downtown. The rooms here are clean, spacious, and beautifully decorated, and the onsite amenities are top-notch. There’s also an outdoor pool and an indoor swimming pool.
- Vacation Rental on the North Side of Breckenridge: Newly Upgraded Mountain Retreat – If you’re looking for a vacation rental home to rent on the north side of town, then you’ll love this one. It’s perched high on a hill and offers incredible, panoramic views of the surrounding mountains. There’s a hot tub, a sunroom, a newly renovated kitchen, a large dining area, and three bedrooms with plenty of room for six guests.
See Related: Things to Do in Denver, Colorado
4. Blue River: Best Area for Families
The small town of Blue River is a few minutes south of Breckenridge. You won’t really find a “town” here; people who live in Blue River shop in Breckenridge, but it is an area separate from Breck proper.
This area is mostly residential and is a great spot to enjoy the mountain scenery without many buildings or people getting in the way. It’s a great place to stay if you want to be near Breckenridge but not right in it.
Because Blue River is residential, you won’t find hotels of any level here. However, it’s a great area for people looking for vacation rental-style accommodations. Plenty to be had in this south Breckenridge area for all budgets and group sizes.
In Blue River, you’ll be away from the hustle and bustle of the busy downtown area, but you’ll still have easy access to the mountains. If you have a rental car, from here, you might consider driving down to the historic town of Fairplay to the south or driving over the spectacular Boreas Pass east of town.
If you and your group wish to relax, hike, stargaze, hang out together, and enjoy quality time, Blue River is an excellent place to stay. These are our choices for the best accommodations in town:
- Budget Vacation Rental in Blue River: Dog-Friendly Cabin With Mountain Views – This 2,014 square foot, two-bedroom, two-and-a-half bathroom cabin is cozy and adorable, and it has a gorgeous fireplace in the living room. You’re only five miles from downtown in this cabin, but you’ll feel like you’re a million miles from everything in the best way, and your dogs will love it, too. There’s a back deck with great views of the mountains as well.
- Mid-range Vacation Rental in Blue River: Blue River Getaway Home – This peaceful, secluded home in a wooded setting is the perfect spot for your Breckenridge getaway. It sleeps up to eight people in three bedrooms; there are two bathrooms as well. There’s a large deck, a well-stocked kitchen, and a lovely living room space where you can spend lots of quality time with your companions.
- Luxury Vacation Rental in Blue River: Modern Luxury Mountain Chalet – You’ll feel more like you’re in the Alps than the Rockies when you and your friends or family stay at this chalet. There are lots of luxury amenities, including a double showerhead shower/steam shower, a stone fireplace, a hot tub, a sauna, a wrap-around deck, and more.
See Related: Things to Do in Colorado Springs
Tours in Breckenridge
Breckenridge is a historic town, nestled in the Rocky Mountains. With its quaint downtown, local restaurants, and beautiful scenery, it has all the makings of a charming mountain town. Join the tour and explore this town by taking you to some of its most popular sites like the Red Rocks Amphitheatre and Town Park and an old mining town. Experience true Colorado with this guided tour.
The fun of sledding is amplified when you’re riding down a mountain in Breckenridge, Colorado. This exhilarating outdoor adventure will have you soaring down Country Boy Mine three times. Take a short instructional lesson to improve your technique and receive a ride back up the mountain each time. Helmets are not required if you want to feel the cool rush of Colorado mountain wind.
The Breckenridge Gold Mine Outdoor Escape Room is located in the shadow of Peak 8 in Breckenridge. Bring your friends, family and coworkers for a fun-filled hour of puzzling and adventure. Experience what it was like to mine for gold in the late 1800s by solving puzzles and navigating through a real mining site. Your team will need to use their critical thinking skills as they work together to find buried treasure while exploring the woods around an actual working mine.
What’s the best time of year to visit Breckenridge?
Any time of year is the best time to visit Breckenridge! As you might imagine, hotels in Breckenridge are most expensive during ski season; if you wish to experience this area at a more affordable time of year, you should try visiting in the spring, summer, or fall. However, this town is known for skiing and snowboarding, so winter is the time to go if you enjoy those activities. The warmer months are fantastic in Breckenridge, too; this town is full of epic outdoor activities no matter what time of year you decide to visit.
How can I get to Breckenridge from the airport?
Most people who visit Breckenridge fly into Denver International Airport, which is quite a distance away from this small mountain town – in fact, it’s just a little over one hundred miles away. The ride from the airport to your accommodation will take nearly two hours.
As a result, most people choose to rent a car to get to Breck. However, if you don’t want to drive, there are other options. Some of the hotels offer airport shuttle service, and even if yours does not, there are many independent shuttle companies that can bring vacationers up to Breckenridge if you book your ride ahead of time.
There’s another airport that’s a little closer if you prefer – Eagle/Vail Regional Airport. Still, it’s almost the same distance away, and flights into it will likely be a bit more expensive than flights into Denver International. However, it is an option to consider, and you can easily find a shuttle from that airport to Breckenridge hotels.
Is Breckenridge safe?
Absolutely! Breckenridge is a very safe place to visit. Of course, there is some petty theft in town because Breckenridge is a busy tourist destination, so keep an eye on your belongings like purses, wallets, and cell phones. But, for the most part, you won’t have to worry about much crime or danger on this trip, fortunately.