We take pride in providing authentic travel recommendations based on our own experiences. We may earn a commission when you purchase a product or book a reservation. Learn more ›
When you first kick off your travel blogging journey, it’s likely you’ll hit the road with little more than your cell phone camera and a sense of adventure. However, the longer you travel, the more remarkable sights you’ll see, and it’s only inevitable that you’ll soon be wondering if it’s worth splurging on a camera for travel blogging.
While modern cell phone cameras can capture great images, surely, picking up one of the best camera for travel blogging will take your images to the next level.
I found myself wondering if it was worth the upgrade well before I got my camera. I did eventually make the plunge, but not before trying out a whole bunch of options.
Likewise, I have conversed with travel and wildlife photographers who gave me their experience with other cameras on the go. After lots of hands-on testing and chatting with friends, I pulled together this list, mostly to help me decide what I’d be going with.
- TL;DR Best Cameras for Travel Blogging
- Best Cameras for Travel Blogging
- 1. Sony a6000 Mirrorless
- Sony a7RIV Camera
- Sony Alpha a7 III Mirrorless Digital Camera
- Nikon Z50 Mirrorless Camera
- Nikon D3400 Camera
- Canon EOS 2000D Camera
- Canon 6D Mark ii Camera
- Canon PowerShot G7X Digital Camera
- Fujifilm X-T30 Camera
- Panasonic Lumix GX85 Camera
- Olympus-TG6 Compact Camera
- Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV Camera
- GoPro Hero 10 Camera
- What is travel blog photography?
- What to consider before choosing a travel blog camera
- Camera portability
- Weather conditions
- Additional accessories
- The camera lens
- Built-in features
- What is a Mirrorless camera?
- What is the best camera for travel blogging?
- What type of cameras do bloggers use?
- Can you really make money travel blogging?
TL;DR Best Cameras for Travel Blogging
|Best for Portability||Canon PowerShot G7 X|
|Best Underwater/Weatherproof||Olympus Tough TG-6|
|Best Multipurpose Camera||GoPro Hero 10|
|Editor’s Pick||Olympus E-M10 Mark IV|
Best Cameras for Travel Blogging
If you’re trying to pick out the best travel cameras, you’ve got to consider different factors such as features, accessories, lenses, durability, and portability. Our managing editor swears by Micro Four Thirds cameras, while others on the ViaTravelers team are big on Sony.
This listicle breaks down pros and cons of the best blogging cameras. As a result, you will be able to conduct a good analysis to choose the best camera for you! I have arranged them in no particular order, so finding the best one for you is up to you.
Editor’s Note: You’ll read a lot of “shot count” numbers below, and they may lead you to think discouragingly about the rechargeable batteries in these cameras. In real-life use, the number of photos taken on a single charge may be double or triple what’s listed. Still, it’s a good idea to order a few spare batteries so you’re not caught with a dead battery at your destination.
1. Sony a6000 Mirrorless
The Sony a6000 Mirrorless Camera is a good starter blogging camera. The camera is lightweight, making it an ideal choice for travel bloggers.
It’s a good consideration for a novice as it has automatic settings, which new users can leverage to take great pictures, just like a pro, but without the extra fiddling. As you grow and learn, you’ll be able to choose more settings yourself.
The Sony a6000 Camera is great for taking perfect-quality pictures for social media and blogs. It works with Sony E-Mount lenses. One thing that caught my attention was that its sensor has some dustproofing protections, so if you’re changing lenses on the go, that’s one less thing to worry about.
- 24.3 Megapixels (total pixel of 24.7) with a pixel dimension of 6000 X 4000.
- Autofocus and manual focus.
- Built-in flash but also can accommodate an external flash.
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery capable of lasting up to 700 shots.
- WiFi-enabled and can connect to mobile devices and laptops.
- Video output with micro HDMI output.
- Newbies with limited photography knowledge can use the camera.
- The camera is perfect for travel blogging, considering its size and features.
- Works with different lenses to provide all kinds of beautiful pictures.
- The battery drains fast when the WiFi is enabled.
- Shutter delay and bracket exposure are not available on the camera settings.
See Related: Best Car Seat Travel Bags to Buy Today
Sony a7RIV Camera
Having used the Sony a7RIV Camera a couple of times as a travel blogger, I thought it would be nice if it made this list of best blogging cameras. It can take high-resolution and great-quality pictures, and it’s a full frame sensor camera, which makes it ideal for astrophotography too.
Sony a7RIV Camera is a good consideration for wildlife photography as it can shoot at a top speed and retain great resolution. When paired with a long E-Mount lens, you’ve got plenty of room to zoom and lots of cropping space, too.
- 61.0 Megapixels Full Frame sensor
- Fast hybrid autofocus with phase detection and contrast detection.
- Support auto shots, programmed shots, and other kinds of shooting modes.
- It features built-in WiFi, Bluetooth, and NFC.
- Rechargeable battery with a battery life that can take up to 670 shots.
- A perfect blogging camera for wildlife and travel photography
- Easy to use as it does not require much setup to take professional pictures.
- Support cropping with a 60MP while retaining high resolution.
- Good battery life for a travel blogger’s camera.
- Water and dust resistant.
- Stunning image quality.
- Consumes lots of memory with its massive file size.
- Limited touch screen functionalities.
- One of the more expensive cameras on this list.
Sony Alpha a7 III Mirrorless Digital Camera
I have no reservations in recommending the Sony a7 III as a blogging camera – because it rocks. Its features and characteristics make it a darned good consideration for travel bloggers.
Aside from delivering high image quality during the day, the Sony Mirrorless camera also takes the best shots at night. The images are blur-free and have image stabilization features. It perfectly works with all kinds of lenses as you would choose depending on the type of photos you are taking.
- 24.2 Megapixels (total pixel of 25.3) with a pixel dimension of 6000 X 4000.
- Autofocus with face detection and contrast detection.
- Built-in flash with adjustable modes.
- Built-in wireless, Bluetooth, and NFC features.
- Long-lasting battery capable of lasting for approximately 710 shots.
- It has incredible features a travel blogger will ever need on the trip.
- It is portable and easy to carry without much stress.
- Has both video and audio output of HDMI.
- Good for both day shots and night photography.
- A learner can learn to use the camera without much struggle.
- Rugged camera body.
- Cannot record more than 30-minute videos like some DSLR cameras.
- It is not a GPS-enabled camera.
- Kind of expensive.
See Related: Best Travel Insurance for Digital Nomads
Nikon Z50 Mirrorless Camera
The Nikon Z50 Mirrorless Camera is another incredible choice any travel blogger should consider. One of its benefits is that it is a portable camera, lightweight, and can be handled without stress.
The Mirrorless Nikon Z50 works with different lenses to give amazing photos. I’d recommend 16-50 lenses for a wide-angle shot and 50-250 for a close-up shot. A travel blogger who takes landscape photography may need a polarizer if you want to perform magic with this camera.
- 21 Megapixel total pixel of 22) with a pixel dimension of 5568 x 3712.
- It has both face detection and contrast-detection autofocus system.
- It has a built-in flash and also supports external flash.
- Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth enable the transfer of files to your mobile device and PC.
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery with a battery life of approximately 320 shots.
- Lightweight and portable cameras are good for travel bloggers.
- Perfect lenses for landscape shots.
- Perfect for photographers who don’t want to use a full-frame camera.
- Excellent autofocus and image stabilization.
- The battery is quite feeble.
- The camera is not GPS enabled.
Nikon D3400 Camera
The Nikon D3400 is another wonderful choice for a travel blogging camera. It is a good consideration for starters as it has a help feature that can help you learn the nitty-gritty of the camera all by yourself. The camera takes incredible images after you have learned to set it up perfectly.
Nikon D3400 is lightweight and portable, just as you will want it. It features a telephoto zoom lens that lets you take distant pictures or mountaintop photography. It has other necessary features to ensure your trip is a successful one.
- 24 Megapixel (total pixel of 25) with a pixel dimension of 6000 x 4000.
- It has a face-detection and contrast-detection autofocus system.
- It has a built-in flashlight and also supports external flash.
- Bluetooth allows the transfer of files to your smartphone and PC using Snapdragon.
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery with a battery life of approximately 1200 shots.
- Lightweight, rugged and portable camera and you don’t need to bother about a camera bag.
- The telephoto zoom features make it a good consideration for capturing pictures from mountains or high places.
- The help feature encourages self-learning and makes it a good option for newbies.
- Superfast focus, which enables clear and quality output.
- Battery life is impressive, making it a good consideration for travel bloggers.
- No WiFi.
- No GPS tagging.
See Related: Ways to Get Paid to Travel and Take Photos
Canon EOS 2000D Camera
Canon EOS 2000D, also known as Canon Rebel T7, is another great camera for top travel photos. I have clicked some pictures with the camera and reviewed some of the pictures other photographers took. Altogether, it produces top-notch pictures and can be considered a good fit for travel blogging.
Aside from taking high-resolution pictures, it is also a good consideration if you want to take both vertical and horizontal pictures simultaneously.
- 24.1 Megapixel (total pixel of 24.7) with a pixel dimension of 6000 x 4000.
- TTL-CT-SIR with CMOS sensor autofocus enables both automatic and manual selection.
- Built-in flash with automatic and manual flashlight modes.
- Built-in WiFi and NFC for instant file sharing with mobile devices and PCs.
- Rechargeable Li-ion battery that can take up to 500 shots.
- Video output with HDMI mini output.
- Perfect blogging camera for taking horizontal and vertical pictures.
- Support different kinds of shooting modes and picture styles.
- Allows instant share using its built-in WiFi features.
- Considerable battery for a travel blogging experience.
- Take high-quality pictures with good resolutions.
- Cannot record video beyond 29 minutes and 50 seconds, unlike traditional DSLR cameras.
- No GPS or Bluetooth.
Canon 6D Mark ii Camera
Canon 6D Mark ii is a full-frame camera most travel bloggers and I will recommend. Of course, the camera must be able to take quality pictures before making this list. It is also an easy-to-use camera, as even a novice photographer can learn to operate it quickly.
With its silent shutter mode, the Canon 6D Mark ii camera supports quieter shooting, which is a good idea for a travel blogger. It also has a low light-sensing ability, making it suitable for daylight and night photoshoots.
- 26.2 Megapixel (total pixel of 27.1) with a pixel dimension of 6240 x 4160.
- It has a phase-different detection and AF-dedicated sensor autofocus system.
- Built-in flash with the ability to switch between automatic, manual, and Integrated Speedlite transmitter flash modes.
- Built-in WiFi, Bluetooth, and NFT for file sharing with mobile devices and PCs.
- Enabled GPS feature, which stores the location of the image taken.
- Rechargeable Li-ion battery with the ability to take approximately 1200 shots.
- It is a portable camera with less weight and is suitable for travel blogging.
- Long-lasting battery life is a good option for professional photographers.
- Its instant share function using WiFi makes it a good option for bloggers.
- A silent shutter mode is a good option for travel bloggers, especially for wildlife photography.
- GPS feature makes it a good consideration for bloggers who want to keep a record of the locations of their shots.
- No shooting video beyond 29 minutes and 50 seconds.
See Related: Best Travel Photography Books to Inspire You
Canon PowerShot G7X Digital Camera
The Canon PowerShot G7X Digital Camera is another fantastic Canon camera I recommend to any travel blogger. The output is great, with high-quality pictures staring at you from its rear LCD screen. This is possible as the camera has autofocus features that allow the focused object to stand out in the environment.
You can also choose to enable the touch shutter mode, which allows the focus to be on both the image and the background. This zoom lens camera has Zoom 4X ability, allowing you to take a clear picture of points of interest far away.
This is one of the best cameras for travel bloggers who may want to take pictures of mountains and high places.
- 20.1 Megapixel of 20.1 (total pixel of 20.9) with a pixel dimension of 6000 x 4000.
- TTL face detection and touch selection focusing with an option for manual focusing.
- Built-in flash with automatic and manual flashlight modes.
- Microphone-enabled camera and can take audio input up to 3.5mm.
- It is WiFi-enabled and can transfer files to my mobile devices and PCs.
- It has a GPS tracker, which works perfectly when connected to a smartphone.
- A good focusing system enables a way of capturing from a far distance.
- A good option for both object focus and non-blur background capturing.
- Portable camera and may not require a camera case.
- Work efficiently with mobile devices and PCs for instant sharing and uploading pictures.
- GPS enabled to keep track of shots’ location.
- Battery capacity is low.
- Video recording is limited to 29 minutes and 59 seconds.
Fujifilm X-T30 Camera
The Fujifilm X-T30 Camera is another Fujifilm brand you may want to explore as a travel blogger. This camera is designed to serve a travel blogger as it is lightweight and offers incredible shots. Coupled with its high-speed autofocus, it takes excellent pictures.
The camera is also suitable for all weather conditions, as it has an adjustable dial to change the exposure. It features a sensor capable of detecting low light conditions and adjusting the settings to fit such.
- 26 Megapixels with a pixel dimension of 6240 x 4160.
- Touch, single, face detection, and contrast-detection autofocus system.
- It has a built-in flash and supports external flash via the hot shoe.
- Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth for file sharing.
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery with a battery life of 380 shots.
- The high-quality image even in a low-light environment.
- Low noise shutter sound, good shutter speed, and lightweight make it a good travel camera.
- Accurate and superfast autofocus system for both still pictures and video recordings.
- The videos are sharper and clearer, making it a good video camera.
- Battery life is quite low.
- It might be difficult to set up for a novice.
See Related: Best GoPro Alternatives
Panasonic Lumix GX85 Camera
The Lumix GX85 is another mirrorless camera that will make my list of best cameras for travel photography. This camera is a perfect fit for traveling because it is tiny. If you have not encountered it before, you may find it hard to believe this mini-marvel allows interchangeable lenses.
This blogging camera includes great features that enhance its great output. It also has a panorama setting that allows you to take different styles of shots without changing lenses.
- 16 Megapixels (total pixel of 17) with a pixel dimension of 4592 x 3448.
- It features face detection, contrast detection, and a touch autofocus system.
- It has a built-in flash but supports external flash using a hot shoe.
- WiFi and NFC are enabled for transferring files to other devices.
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery with a battery life of approximately 290 shots.
- The camera is very portable.
- Superfast autofocus and also ensures image stabilization for all kinds of lenses.
- It has a silent shutter feature for taking quiet shots.
- Suitable for video recording as the time frame goes beyond the conventional 30-minute limits.
- The built-in microphone is bad for video recording.
- Puny battery.
Olympus-TG6 Compact Camera
Olympus-TG6 Camera is still a reasonable consideration for travel blogs even as a compact camera goes. It is a small point-and-shoot camera that does not require a backpack, which is great for travel blogging, especially if you aren’t into full-frame cameras.
As weird as it may look, the Olympus-TG6 Compact Camera possesses exceptional features suitable for travel blogging. It can take close-up pictures, closer to the action than DSLR cameras can manage. Moreso, it is both water-resistant and shock-resistant!
- 12 Megapixels and a pixel dimension of 4000 x 3000.
- It features face detection and a contrast-detection autofocus system.
- It has built-in flash but does not support external flash.
- It is WiFi-enabled and can connect to smartphones.
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery with a battery life of approximately 340 shots.
- It produces high-quality images even with a compact 12MP.
- The pocket-sized camera is fit for travel blogging.
- You can charge it using a USB cable and phone charger.
- Water and shock resistance makes it a good option for underwater shots.
- The battery is about what you’d expect.
- It is not suitable for close-range shots as zoom features may perform poorly.
See Related: Most Photographed Cities in the World
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV Camera
The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV Camera is another one of the best compact camera options for travel blogging. It is an ultra-compact, mirrorless, and portable camera that will always give you crystal clear shots regardless of position with its 5-axis stabilization feature.
It also has a flip-out screen feature that helps video record and captures images with difficult angles.
- 20 megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensor
- Focus detection, contrast detection, and touch autofocus system.
- Uses external flash via the hot shoe.
- Built-in WiFi that enables file sharing with smartphones and PCs.
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery
- Lightweight and portable camera for easy handling without a camera bag.
- Optimal image stabilization with the 5-axis stabilization feature.
- Produces high-quality images even as a compact camera.
- Good for video recording as much as for taking shots.
- No built-in flash.
GoPro Hero 10 Camera
GoPro Hero 10 Camera is an action camera that is great for travel bloggers. This mini portable camera can do what a full-size and compact camera could do with little or no difference. It is portable, a plus as a travel camera for everyday shots.
One of the benefits of the camera is that it takes clear and super-quality pictures if you can find your way with the settings. Meanwhile, it is effortless to operate even by a novice. Additionally, it is a water and shock-resistance camera, just what a travel blogger needs for everyday life photography on the go!
- 12 Megapixels.
- Face detection autofocus system with a sharp focus.
- Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth enabled for file sharing.
- Built-in lithium-ion 1220mah battery, which enables long-time usage.
- A clear camera and perfect shots are too good for an action camera.
- Support live streaming without reduction in shoot video quality.
- Lightweight, portable, water-resistant, and shock-resistant. Just what a travel blogger.
- GPS enabled for image location tracking.
- It will likely have in-body image stabilization issues if care is not taken.
- You might find it hard to understand the interface if you are a novice.
What is travel blog photography?
Travel blog photography is a combination of photography and blogging. Photography, in this sense, is a unique genre of photography.
Travel blog photography considers collecting, documenting, and publishing pictures of landscapes, people, cultures, and customs taken while traveling.
Travel blogging photography is different from other genres of photography for quite some reasons. Firstly, it is an experience outside your home environment or a sterile studio. You will likely be taking pictures of things that are relatively new to you. Furthermore, travel blogging photography is done to explore a place and show off parts of the world that others might not see otherwise.
See Related: Tips for Beating Post-Travel Blues
What to consider before choosing a travel blog camera
Since you may not know what you are likely to find out there, you have to set out with what may be the best camera you could lay your hand on. What factors to consider before choosing digital cameras for your travel blogging? As an award-winning travel photographer, here are a few photography tips;
The portability of your chosen camera is an excellent factor to consider as a travel blogger. Talking from experience, one of the stresses you will face is handling your bags, especially if you are traveling without a crew.
Therefore, you don’t want your camera to be additional luggage for you. Choosing a light camera that can be handled without expending much energy or bag space is best.
Some cameras are good for all weather conditions, and some are not. Consider a water-resistant camera if you are traveling during the rainy season. Likewise, you must consider a camera fit if you plan to do night travel photography.
You must be well prepared and not lack anything you need during the trip. One way to achieve this is to choose a camera with additional accessories such as a memory card, spare battery, camera bag, and filters. All of these are necessary to enhance a good photo-clicking experience.
The camera lens
Your choice of camera lens depends on what you intend to photograph. Sometimes, it depends on your expectations or overview of your destination. An electronic viewfinder is also worth consideration at this point.
If you visit a place with beautiful architecture and landscapes, you will need a wide-angle lens. A wildlife or mountain photographer will need a zoom lens camera. Meanwhile, a prime lens camera would be best for portrait or street photography.
There are some cameras with GPS features that indicate the location of where you took the picture. As a travel blogger, this will help you track where you take your pictures without extra documentation.
Also, cameras with enabled WiFi allow you to connect with other devices and post your pictures online in real-time.
In some cases, your audience may decide what your choice of camera will be. The quality of your blog depends on the image quality and how appealing they are to your readers. If your audience has been complaining about the image quality, it is high time you chose a camera with higher specifications and features!
See Related: Best Travel Lightroom Presets
What is a Mirrorless camera?
A mirrorless camera differs from a traditional DSLR camera by using no camera mirrors when viewing in a viewfinder. This enables capturing the images directly from the screen on the LCD rear viewfinder.
For instance, the Sony a7III mirrorless cameras are usually smaller and lighter than the DSLR segment competition as they have not been equipped with any mirror.
The absence of mirrors also helps these Sony mirrorless cameras work quieter than traditional DSLRs. For this reason, mirrorless cameras have become more commonplace in photographic applications.
What is the best camera for travel blogging?
The best camera for travel blogging is lightweight, portable, and produces high-quality images. It should also have a fast autofocus system, good low-light performance, and the ability to shoot video in 4K resolution.
Some popular options include the Sony Alpha a6600, Canon EOS M6 Mark II, and Fujifilm X-T4. Ultimately, the best camera for travel blogging will depend on personal preferences and budget.
What type of cameras do bloggers use?
Many bloggers use mirrorless cameras for their photography needs. These cameras are smaller and lighter than traditional DSLRs, making them easier to carry around while traveling or on the go. Additionally, mirrorless cameras offer high-quality image and video capabilities, making them popular for bloggers who want to capture stunning visuals for their content.
Can you really make money travel blogging?
Yes, it is possible to make money travel blogging. Many travel bloggers have turned their passion for travel into a profitable business by creating engaging content, building a loyal audience, and monetizing their blogs through various means, such as sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, and selling digital products. It takes time, dedication, and hard work to build a successful travel blog that generates income.
- Best Travel Sunglasses for Beaches & Vacations
- Our Top The Top Photos From the National Geographic Photo Contest
- Free Travel Rewards and Credit Card Spreadsheet Template
- What is a Passport/Travel Document Number?
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Kyle Kroeger is the Founder and Owner of ViaTravelers.com. He is a full-time traveler and entrepreneur. Kyle started ViaTravelers.com to help travelers experience a fully immersive cultural experience as he did initially living in Italy. He’s a converted finance nerd and Excel jockey turned world wanderer (and may try to get lost on purpose). After visiting 12 countries and 13 national parks in a year, he was devoted to creating and telling stories like he’d heard.
Plus, after spending more time on airplanes and packing, he’s learned some incredible travel hacks over time as he earned over 1 million Chase Ultimate Rewards points in under a year, helping him maximize experiences as much as possible to discover the true meaning of travel.
He loves listening to local stories from around the world and sharing his experiences traveling the globe. He loves travel so much that he moved from his hometown of Minneapolis to Amsterdam with his small family to travel Europe full-time.