You must have been thinking about what camera is the best for your travel blogging career – that’s why you’re here, right?
Perhaps you plan to go on a tour and would like to have some clicks from your trip uploaded to your blog. If you have ever thought about what could be the best camera for travel blogging, then read on.
I found myself asking a similar question before I got my own camera. My experience in travel blogging has exposed me to the use of different cameras.
Likewise, I have conversed with travel and wildlife photographers who gave me their experience with other cameras on the go. Consequently, I have been able to come up with a recommendation for the best cameras for travel blogging.
Best Cameras for Travel Blogging
Having considered different factors such as features, accessories, lenses, durability, and portability, I have been able to identify the best travel cameras a blogger should consider.
This listicle also features essential things about the best blogging cameras. As a result of this, you will be able to carry out a good analysis to choose the best camera for you! I have arranged them in no particular order, so finding the best one for you is up to you!
Sony a6000 Mirrorless
The Sony a6000 Mirrorless Camera is a good starter blogging camera. The camera is lightweight, making it an ideal choice for travel bloggers. It is a good consideration for a novice as it has automatic settings, which new users can leverage to take great pictures, just like a pro, but without the extra fiddling.
The Sony a6000 Camera is great for taking perfect quality pictures suitable for social media and blogs. It works perfectly with all kinds of lenses, including the kit lens, the prime lens, and the Sony all-purpose lens.
- 24.3 Megapixels (total pixel of 24.7) with a pixel dimension of 6000 X 4000.
- Autofocus and manual focus.
- Built-in flash but also can accommodate an external flash.
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery capable of lasting up to 700 shots.
- WiFi-enabled and can connect to mobile devices and laptops.
- Video output with micro HDMI output.
- Newbies with limited photography knowledge can use the camera.
- The camera is perfect for travel blogging, considering its size and features.
- It has a good battery.
- Works with different lenses to provide all kinds of beautiful pictures.
- The battery drains fast when the WiFi is enabled.
- Shutter delay and bracket exposure are not available on the camera settings.
See Related: Best Car Seat Travel Bags to Buy Today
Sony a7RIV Camera
Having used the Sony a7RIV Camera a couple of times as a travel blogger, I thought it would be nice if it made this list of best blogging cameras. It can take high resolution and great quality pictures when you know the right lens to choose.
Sony a7RIV Camera is a good consideration for wildlife photography as it can shoot at a top speed and retain great resolution. Being far away from your target is not a problem if you can perfectly handle this camera. For emphasis, as a travel blogger, I can recommend this camera for trips to click some wildlife photographs.
- 61.0 Megapixels (total pixel of 62.4) with a pixel dimension of 9504 x 6336.
- Fast hybrid autofocus with phase detection and contrast detection.
- Support auto shots, programmed shots, and other kinds of shooting modes.
- It features built-in WiFi, Bluetooth, and NFC.
- Rechargeable battery with a battery life that can take up to 670 shots.
- A perfect blogging camera for wildlife travel photography, considering the speed and focus.
- Easy to use as it does not require much setup to take professional pictures.
- Support cropping with a 60MP while retaining high resolution.
- Good battery life for a travel blogger’s camera.
- Water and dust resistant.
- Stunning image quality.
- Consumes lots of memory with its large pixel dimensions.
- Limited touch screen functionalities.
- One of the more expensive cameras on this list.
Sony Alpha a7 III Mirrorless Digital Camera
I have no reservation in recommending Sony a7 III as a blogging camera – because it rocks. It possesses features and characteristics that make it a darned good consideration for travel bloggers.
Aside from delivering high image quality during the day, the Sony Mirrorless camera also takes the best shots during the night. The images are blur-free and have image stabilization features. It perfectly works with all kinds of lenses as you would choose depending on the type of photos you are taking.
- 24.2 Megapixels (total pixel of 25.3) with a pixel dimension of 6000 X 4000.
- Autofocus with face detection and contrast detection.
- Built-in flash with adjustable modes.
- Built-in wireless, Bluetooth, and NFC features.
- Long-lasting battery capable of lasting for approximately 710 shots.
- It has incredible features a travel blogger will ever need on the trip.
- It is portable and easy to carry without much stress.
- Has both video and audio output of HDMI.
- Good for both day shots and night photography.
- A learner can learn to use the camera without much struggle.
- Rugged camera body.
- Cannot record more than 30-minute videos like some DSLR cameras.
- It is not a GPS-enabled camera.
- Kind of expensive.
See Related: Best Travel Insurance for Digital Nomads
Nikon Z50 Mirrorless Camera
The Nikon Z50 Mirrorless Camera is another incredible choice any travel blogger should consider. One of its benefits is that it is a portable camera, lightweight, and can be handled without stress.
The Mirrorless Nikon Z50 works with different lenses to give amazing photos. The lenses I’d recommend are 16-50 lenses for a wide-angle shot and 50-250 for a close-up shot. A travel blogger who takes landscape photography may need to get a polarizer if you want to perform magic with this camera.
- 21 Megapixel total pixel of 22) with a pixel dimension of 5568 x 3712.
- It has both face detection and contrast-detection autofocus system.
- It has a built-in flash and also supports external flash.
- Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth enable the transfer of files to your mobile device and PC.
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery with a battery life of approximately 320 shots.
- Lightweight and portable cameras are good for travel bloggers.
- Perfect lenses for landscape shots.
- Perfect for photographers who don’t want to use a full-frame camera.
- Excellent autofocus and image stabilization.
- The battery is quite feeble.
- The camera is not GPS enabled.
Nikon D3400 Camera
The Nikon D3400 is another wonderful choice for a travel blogging camera. It is a good consideration for starters as it has a help feature that can help you learn the nitty-gritty of the camera all by yourself. The camera takes incredible images after you have learned to set it up perfectly.
Nikon D3400 is lightweight and portable, just as you will want it. It features a telephoto zoom lens which enables you to take distant pictures or mountain top photography. It has other necessary features to ensure your trip is a successful one.
- 24 Megapixel (total pixel of 25) with a pixel dimension of 6000 x 4000.
- It has a face detection and contrast-detection autofocus system.
- It has a built-in flashlight and also supports external flash.
- Bluetooth allows the transfer of files to your smartphone and PC using Snapdragon.
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery with a battery life of approximately 1200 shots.
- Lightweight, rugged and portable camera and you don’t need to bother about a camera bag.
- The telephoto zoom features make it a good consideration for capturing pictures from mountains or high places.
- The help feature encourages self-learning and makes it a good option for newbies.
- Superfast focus, which enables clear and quality output.
- Battery life is impressive, making it a good consideration for travel bloggers.
- No WiFi.
- No GPS tagging.
See Related: Ways to Get Paid to Travel and Take Photos
Canon EOS 2000D Camera
Canon EOS 2000D, also known as Canon Rebel T7, is another great camera for top travel photos. I have clicked some pictures with the camera and reviewed some of the pictures taken by other photographers. Altogether, it produces top-notch pictures and can be considered a good fit for travel blogging.
Aside from taking high-resolution pictures, it is also a good consideration for you if you would like to take both vertical and horizontal pictures simultaneously.
- 24.1 Megapixel (total pixel of 24.7) with a pixel dimension of 6000 x 4000.
- TTL-CT-SIR with CMOS sensor autofocus enables both automatic and manual selection.
- Built-in flash with automatic and manual flashlight modes.
- Built-in WiFi and NFC for instant file sharing with mobile devices and PCs.
- Rechargeable Li-ion battery that can take up to 500 shots.
- Video output with HDMI mini output.
- Perfect blogging camera for taking horizontal and vertical pictures.
- Support different kinds of shooting modes and picture styles.
- Allows instant share using its built-in WiFi features.
- Considerable battery for a travel blogging experience.
- Take high-quality pictures with good resolutions.
- Cannot record video beyond 29 minutes 50 seconds, unlike traditional DSLR cameras.
- No GPS or Bluetooth.
Canon 6D Mark ii Camera
Canon 6D Mark ii is a full-frame camera most travel bloggers, and I will recommend. Of course, the camera must be able to take quality pictures before making this list. It is also an easy-to-use camera as even a novice photographer can learn to operate it in little or no time.
The Canon 6D Mark ii camera supports quieter shooting with its silent shutter mode, which is a good idea for a travel blogger. It also has a low light-sensing ability, making it suitable for daylight and night photoshoots.
- 26.2 Megapixel (total pixel of 27.1) with a pixel dimension of 6240 x 4160.
- It has a phase-different detection and AF-dedicated sensor autofocus system.
- Built-in flash with the ability to switch between automatic, manual, and Integrated Speedlite transmitter flash modes.
- Built-in WiFi, Bluetooth, and NFT for file sharing with mobile devices and PCs.
- Enabled GPS feature, which stores the location of the image taken.
- Rechargeable Li-ion battery with the ability to take approximately 1200 shots.
- It is a portable camera with less weight and is suitable for travel blogging.
- Long-lasting battery life is a good option for professional photographers.
- Its instant share function using WiFi makes it a good option for bloggers.
- A silent shutter mode is a good option for travel bloggers, especially for wildlife photography.
- GPS feature makes it a good consideration for bloggers who want to keep a record of the locations of their shots.
- No shooting video beyond 29 minutes 50 seconds.
See Related: Best Travel Photography Books to Inspire You
Canon PowerShot G7X Digital Camera
Canon PowerShot G7X Digital Camera is another fantastic camera from Canon I will recommend to any travel blogger.
The output is great, with high-quality pictures staring at you from its rear LCD screen. This is possible as the camera has autofocus features that allow the focused object to stand out in the environment.
You can also choose to enable the touch shutter mode, which allows the focus to be on both the image and background. This zoom lens camera has Zoom 4X ability, allowing you to take a clear picture of points of interest at a far distance.
This is one of the best cameras for travel bloggers who may want to take pictures of mountains and high places.
- 20.1 Megapixel of 20.1 (total pixel of 20.9) with a pixel dimension of 6000 x 4000.
- TTL face detection and touch selection focusing with an option for manual focusing.
- Built-in flash with automatic and manual flashlight modes.
- Microphone-enabled camera and can take audio input up to 3.5mm.
- It is WiFi-enabled, and it can transfer files to my mobile devices and PCs.
- It has a GPS tracker, which works perfectly when connected to a smartphone.
- A good focusing system enables a way of capturing from a far distance.
- A good option for both object focus and non-blur background capturing.
- Portable camera and may not require a camera case.
- Work efficiently with mobile devices and PCs for instant sharing and uploading pictures.
- GPS enabled to keep track of shots’ location.
- Battery capacity is low.
- Video recording is limited to 29 minutes and 59 seconds.
Fujifilm X-T30 Camera
The Fujifilm X-T30 Camera is another Fujifilm brand you may want to explore as a travel blogger. This camera is perfectly designed to serve a travel blogger as it is lightweight and offers incredible shots. Coupled with its high-speed autofocus, it takes excellent pictures.
The camera is also suitable for all weather conditions as it has an adjustable dial to change the exposure. It features a sensor capable of detecting low light conditions and adjusting the settings to fit such.
- 26 Megapixels with a pixel dimension of 6240 x 4160.
- Touch, single, face detection, and contrast-detection autofocus system.
- It has a built-in flash and supports external flash via the hot shoe.
- Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth for file sharing.
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery with a battery life of 380 shots.
- The high-quality image even in a low-light environment.
- Low noise shutter sound, good shutter speed, and lightweight make it a good travel camera.
- Accurate and superfast autofocus system for both still pictures and video recordings.
- The videos are sharper and clearer, making it a good video camera.
- Battery life is quite low.
- It might be difficult to set up for a novice.
Panasonic Lumix GX85 Camera
The Lumix GX85 is another mirrorless camera that will make my list of best cameras for travel photography. This camera is a perfect fit for traveling as it has a tiny size. If you have not encountered it before, you may find it hard to believe this mini-marvel allows interchangeable lenses.
This blogging camera includes great features that enhance its great output. It also has a panorama setting that allows you to take different styles of shots without changing lenses.
- 16 Megapixels (total pixel of 17) with a pixel dimension of 4592 x 3448.
- It features face detection, contrast detection, and a touch autofocus system.
- It has built-in flash but also supports external flash using a hot-shoe.
- WiFi and NFC are enabled for transferring files to other devices.
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery with a battery life of approximately 290 shots.
- The camera is very portable.
- Superfast autofocus and also ensure image stabilization for all kinds of lenses.
- It has a silent shutter feature for taking quiet shots.
- Suitable for video recording as the time frame goes beyond the conventional 30-minute limits.
- The built-in microphone is bad for video recording.
- Puny battery.
Olympus-TG6 Compact Camera
Olympus-TG6 Camera is still a reasonable consideration for travel blogs even as a compact camera goes. It is a small point-and-shoot camera that does not require a backpack, which is great for travel blogging, especially if you aren’t into full-frame cameras.
As weird as it may look, the Olympus-TG6 Compact Camera possesses exceptional features suitable for travel blogging. It can take great close-up pictures, closer to the action than DSLR cameras can manage. Moreso, it is both water-resistant and shock-resistant!
- 12 Megapixels and a pixel dimension of 4000 x 3000.
- It features face detection and a contrast-detection autofocus system.
- It has built-in flash but does not support external flash.
- It is WiFi-enabled and can connect to smartphones.
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery with a battery life of approximately 340 shots.
- It produces high-quality images even with a compact 12MP.
- The pocket-sized camera is fit for travel blogging.
- You can charge it using a USB cable and phone charger.
- Water and shock resistance makes it a good option for underwater shots.
- The battery is about what you’d expect.
- Not suitable for close-range shots as zoom features may perform poorly.
See Related: Most Photographed Cities in the World
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark ii Camera
The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark ii Camera is another one of the best compact camera options for travel blogging. It is an Ultra-compact, Mirrorless, and portable camera that will always give you crystal clear shots regardless of position with its 5-axis stabilization feature.
It also has a flip-out screen feature that helps video record and captures images with difficult angles.
- 16 Megapixels and a total pixel of 17 with a pixel dimension of 4608 x 3456.
- Focus detection, contrast detection, and touch autofocus system.
- Uses external flash via the hot shoe.
- Built-in WiFi that enables file sharing with smartphones and PCs.
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery with a battery life of approximately 310 shots.
- Lightweight and portable camera for easy handling without a camera bag.
- Optimal image stabilization with the 5-axis stabilization feature.
- Produces high-quality images even as a compact camera.
- Good for video recording as much as for taking shots.
- No built-in flash.
- Small battery.
GoPro Hero 9 Camera
GoPro Hero 9 Camera is an action camera that is great for travel bloggers. This mini portable camera can do what a full-size and compact camera could do with little or no difference. It is portable, and that is a plus as a travel camera you can use for everyday shots.
One of the benefits of the camera is that it takes clear and super-quality pictures if you can find your way with the settings. Meanwhile, it is effortless to operate even by a novice. Additionally, it is a water and shock-resistance camera, just what a travel blogger needs for everyday life photography on the go!
- 12 Megapixels.
- Face detection autofocus system with a sharp focus.
- Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth enabled for file sharing.
- Built-in lithium-ion 1220mah battery which enables a long time usage.
- A clear camera and perfect shots are too good for an action camera.
- Support live streaming without reduction in shoot video quality.
- Lightweight, portable, water-resistant, and shock resistance. Just what a travel blogger.
- GPS enabled for image location tracking.
- Likely to have in-body image stabilization issues if care is not taken.
- You might find it hard to understand the interface if a novice.
What is travel blog photography?
Travel blog photography is a combination of photography and blogging. Photography, in this sense, is a unique genre of photography.
Travel blog photography considers the collection, documentation, and publishing of pictures of landscapes, people, cultures, and customs taken while traveling.
Travel blogging photography is different from other genres of photography for quite some reasons. Firstly, it is an experience outside of your home environment or a sterile studio. You will likely be taking pictures of stuff and things that are relatively new to you. Furthermore, travel blogging photography is done with the motive of exploring a place and showing off parts of the world that others might not get to see otherwise.
See Related: Tips for Beating Post-Travel Blues
What to consider before choosing a travel blog camera
Since you may not know what you are likely to find out there, you have to set out with what may be the best camera you could lay your hand on. What factors to consider before choosing digital cameras for your travel blogging? As an award-winning travel photographer, here are a few photography tips;
The portability of the camera you are choosing is a good factor to consider as a travel blogger. Talking from experience, one of the stresses you will face is the handling of your bags, especially if you are traveling without a crew. Therefore, you don’t want your camera to be additional luggage for you. It is best to choose a light camera that can be handled without expending much energy or bag space.
Some cameras are good for all weather conditions, some are not. If you are going on an expedition during the rainy season, you must consider a water-resistant camera. Likewise, if you are planning to do night travel photography, you must consider a camera fit.
You must be well prepared and not lack anything you will need during the trip. One way to achieve this is to choose a camera with additional accessories such as a memory card, spare battery, camera bag, and filters. All of these are necessary to enhance a good photo-clicking experience.
The camera lens
Your choice of camera lens depends on what you intend to photograph. Sometimes, it depends on your expectation or overview of your destination. An electronic viewfinder is also worth consideration at this point.
If you are visiting a place with beautiful architecture and landscapes, you will need a wide-angle lens. A wildlife or mountain photographer will need a zoom lens camera. Meanwhile, a prime lens camera would be best for portrait or street photography.
There are some cameras with GPS features that indicate the location of where you took the picture. As a travel blogger, this will help you track where you take your pictures without extra documentation. Also, there are cameras with enabled WiFi that allow you to connect with other devices and post your pictures online in real-time.
In some cases, your audience may decide what your choice of camera will be. The quality of your blog depends on the image quality and how appealing they are to your readers. If your audience has been complaining about the image quality, it is high time you chose a camera with higher specifications and features!
What is a Mirrorless camera?
A mirrorless camera differs from a traditional DSLR camera by using no camera mirrors when viewing in a viewfinder. This enables capturing the images directly from the screen on the LCD rear viewfinder of the camera.
For instance, the Sony a7III mirrorless cameras are usually smaller and lighter than the competition in the DSLR segment as it has not been equipped with any mirror. The absence of mirrors also helps these Sony mirrorless cameras work quieter than traditional DSLRs. For this reason, mirrorless cameras have become more commonplace in photographic applications.
See Related: Best Travel Lightroom Presets
- Best Travel Sunglasses for Beaches & Vacations
- Our Top The Top Photos From the National Geographic Photo Contest
- Free Travel Rewards and Credit Card Spreadsheet Template
- What is a Passport/Travel Document Number?
Lock In Your Travel Now
Find Cheap Flights
Use Skyscanner to find flight deals. As my personal favorite flight search engine, Skyscanner scours websites and airlines across the globe, leaving no stone unturned to help you find the best deal possible. And if you really want to take your savings to new heights, pair Skyscanner with Going (Formerly Scott's Cheap Flights). With access to exclusive mistake fares delivered straight to your inbox, you'll be packing your bags and jetting off on your next adventure before you know it.
Travel insurance is a low cost way to ensure your travel plans go smooth no matter what's thrown at it. Cover yourself against illness, injury and theft, and protect the arrangements you've made with our flexible travel cancellation insurance. My favorite options for travel insurance are:
Book Your Accommodation
In order to capture the widest selection of properties and the best price, use Booking.com as they have the cheapest rates for guesthouses, hotels, luxury condos, B&Bs and so much more.
Want More Destination Ideas Direct to Your Inbox?
Be sure to join the ViaTravelers Newsletter for expert tips, tricks and inspiration for your next travel journey!
Discover the Best Travel Tools
Be sure to visit our page on our favorite travel resources to learn how you too can visit over 10 countries in year.