If you like sausages, then bratwurst is a German sausage is good option to try. This type of sausage is usually made with pork and veal, but beef can also be used.
Bratwurst is a very fatty sausage, so it’s best to grill or pan fry it slowly over low heat to avoid drying it out. These sausages are basically like hot dogs but tastier and have more spices in them.
They go well with hot dog buns or bread and beer.
Table of Contents
- What is Bratwurst?
- History of Bratwurst Sausages
- What is beer bratwurst?
- What are the main ingredients of Bratwurst?
- What are the different types of Bratwurst?
- What are the best ways to serve Bratwurst?
- How to cook bratwurst:
- Keep your meat cold
- Casing the brats
- How to make bratwurst and sauerkraut?
- What kind of sauerkraut should I use?
- How do I serve bratwurst and sauerkraut?
- How long does bratwurst last?
- Can I grill bratwurst?
- Can I cook bratwurst in a crockpot?
- Can I cook bratwurst in a pan?
- How long does it take to cook a bratwurst?
- Do I need to prick sausages while cooking them?
- What other beverages go well with bratwurst besides beer?
What is Bratwurst?
Bratwurst is a German sausage made with pork and veal, but beef can also be used.
History of Bratwurst Sausages
The exact origins of bratwurst are unknown, but it is believed to have originated in the Swabian region of Germany. It started as a simple peasant dish, made with pork and oats. It soon becomes a hit among the people of Swabia and has been popular across Germany ever since.
What is beer bratwurst?
Beer Bratwurst is a type of bratwurst that is made with beer. The beer gives the sausage a unique flavor and helps keep it moist. Beer brats with sauerkraut are popularly served during Oktoberfest in Germany.
What are the main ingredients of Bratwurst?
The main ingredients of bratwurst are pork butt and veal, but beef can also be used. They may also contain bread crumbs, eggs, milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and ginger.
What are the different types of Bratwurst?
There are many different types of bratwurst available today. The most popular is plain bratwurst, but other varieties include currywurst, Kase wurst (or cheese sausage), liver or blood sausage.
What are the best ways to serve Bratwurst?
Bratwurst is best served grilled or pan-fried slowly over low heat to avoid drying it out. It can be eaten with grainy mustard, sauerkraut, rye bread, toasted buns, and potato salad. It can also be easily cooked in a crockpot.
How to cook bratwurst:
- 1 cup fresh white bread crumbs
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 lbs lean veal, preferably shoulder
- 2 lbs pork belly or fatty pork butt
- 1 tbsp. and 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- 1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 8 yards prepared casings, about 4 oz.
- 2 tbsp. Melted; salted butter
- In a small bowl, soak the breadcrumbs in the milk.
- Grind the veal and pork belly together, first coarsely and then finely.
- Place the meat into a large bowl.
- Add the salt, nutmeg, white pepper and, softened breadcrumbs.
- Mix well with your hands until thoroughly blended.
- Working with about one-quarter of sausage filling at a time (cover the rest and refrigerate the rest.)
- Stuff the casings loosely with the sausage filling.
- Pinch and twist into 4-inch links.
- Refrigerate the first ones while doing the rest.
- To cook, prick the sausages all over to prevent the skins from bursting.
- Place as many sausages in a skillet that will fit in a single layer without crowding.
- Pour in about a half-inch of water, cover and, simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Pour off any liquid.
- Add butter to the pan and cook uncovered, turning until the sausages are evenly browned (about 10 minutes.)
The Bratwurst sausage may take time to make, but it is surely one great recipe and a delicious way to enjoy meat.
It is a very versatile food that can be cooked in different ways and it goes well with bread or hot dog buns with or without sauces. It also goes well with different beverages like beer and is a perfect food for different occasions or events.
Keep your meat cold
You’ll want to keep the sausage cold while making it. You desire for the fat in the grinding and coating processes to remain frozen. The fat will begin to burn if the meat is not frozen, resulting in a decrease in flavor and moisture.
If you’re making bratwurst, you’ll need casings that have been salted. To get rid of the salt, soak the casings for around an hour. They become flexible as a result of it. There’s organic tubing to aid with this process.
Casing the brats
The casing is somewhat more complex than the grind and seasoning. The brats need to be prepared immediately before cooking. If you have a meat grinder with an attachment, take advantage of it.
If not, place the sausage into the casings using a forcing funnel or natural casing needles. You will notice that there are pork-based and collagen-based casings available in the market today. Pork-based casings are more commonly used because they appear less expensive. They can also be easily peeled off after the brats are cooked.
Using the second type of casing is likewise is very effective, but you will have to peel it out of the sausage once it’s cooked.
How to make bratwurst and sauerkraut?
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Cut the yellow onion and apple into thin wedges. Mince two cloves of garlic. To a deep skillet or large hot tub, add a tablespoon of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add six bratwurst portions (19 oz.). Brown on both sides until cooked through, about five minutes per side.
Seasonal fruit spices are also a fantastic way to cook your next backyard barbecue! Combine all of the ingredients in a large saucepan. Add the caraway seeds, paprika, garlic, and chicken stock to the pan. Stir until everything is well-mixed and any remaining brown bits on the bottom of the pan have been removed. Serve hot.
What kind of sauerkraut should I use?
Jarred German-style sauerkraut (ALDI brands Deutsche Küche) Flavored sauerkraut, such as garlic or jalapeño, would be fantastic in this dish. Only red cabbage sauerkraut should be avoided because the color of the pigment tends to bleed through and make everything blueish. They are available at a grocery store.
How do I serve bratwurst and sauerkraut?
How long does bratwurst last?
Refrigerated bratwurst sausages will last for 2-3 days. It is also safe to freeze them for 2-6 months.
Can I grill bratwurst?
Yes, you can grill them over medium heat on a gas or charcoal grill.
Can I cook bratwurst in a crockpot?
Yes, you can cook bratwurst in a crockpot or a slow cooker.
Can I cook bratwurst in a pan?
Yes, you can cook them in a frying pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes per side turning occasionally.
How long does it take to cook a bratwurst?
It takes about 20 minutes per side on low heat to cook bratwurst. Or about 4 minutes in medium-high heat.
Do I need to prick sausages while cooking them?
If the sausage casing is not pricked, it might burst and result in juices being spilled over the surface of the grill.
What other beverages go well with bratwurst besides beer?
Other options for beverages to go with bratwurst include cola, cider, apple juice, and white wine.
Use Skyscanner to book the cheapest flight possible. Skyscanner is my favorite flight search engine as you can find flights around the globe and from every airline possible. You'll be in great shape to get the best price possible.
You must grab a free trial or join Scott's Cheap Flights Premium to get cheap flight alerts directly to your email inbox. My favorite cheap flight alert was 25,000 Delta SkyMiles to London non-stop.