We take pride in providing authentic travel recommendations based on our own experiences. We may earn a commission when you purchase a product or book a reservation. Learn more ›
There are so many things to love about Switzerland: the chocolate, the cheese, the mountains, the clean air. The Swiss Alps are some of the most majestic and awe-inspiring mountain ranges in the world, and a visit to them is a must for any traveler.
If you’re looking for the best mountains in Switzerland, you’ve come to the right place. Switzerland is a beautiful European country with some of the most stunning mountains. It’s known for its breathtaking scenery and alpine surroundings.
The mountains here are truly impressive! Whether you love to hike or want to take in the fantastic views, there is something for everyone. Here are some of the best mountains to visit in Switzerland.
Best Mountains in Switzerland to Visit
Mountains always seem to garner a bit of mystery and magic. Perhaps it’s because they take us out of our element- clambering up inclined slopes of rock and dirt, breathing in the rarefied air at high altitudes.
The Jungfrau, one of Switzerland’s best and highest mountains, elicits these feelings. Perched in the Bernese Alps, the Jungfrau offers visitors some of the most breathtaking panoramic views of the Swiss countryside.
On a clear day, you can see Italy from the summit and the fascinating views of Central Switzerland! And if you’re looking for a ski resort to ski or snowboard, Jungfrau is one of the best places to visit in Switzerland.
With its long stretches of groomed slopes and reliable snowfall, it’s no wonder that this mountain is such a popular destination for winter sports enthusiasts. It’s also home to the highest train station in Europe! The cogwheel train ride isn’t for everyone, but it affords lovely views of the region.
Where to Stay
- Hotel Bellevue Palace. A prestigious hotel located in the heart of Switzerland. It offers guests a unique experience with wonderful views of the Alps and an array of luxurious amenities.
- Hotel Alpenhof. A luxury hotel located in the heart of the Swiss Alps. It is renowned for its breathtaking views and excellent service.
- Hotel Silberhorn. A world-renowned hotel situated in the heart of the Swiss Alps. It is known for its spectacular views of the mountains and its luxurious accommodations.
See Related: Most Beautiful Towns in Switzerland
2. Mount San Salvatore
At 912 meters, Mount San Salvatore is not the tallest mountain in Switzerland, but its location overlooking the city of Lugano makes it one of the most popular. The views from the summit are stunning, with Lake Lugano and the Alps visible in all directions.
The well-maintained trails make the hike to the top of Mount San Salvatore an easy one. But the beautiful scenery means that hikers will want to take their time and enjoy the sights.
Among the best things to do in Mount San Salvatore is take a day trip from Swiss National Park. If hiking is not your thing, several cable cars lead up to the summit.
The cable car ride can be just as enjoyable for many people as you can take in the same scenery from a different perspective. Once at the top, there are several restaurants and cafes where you can enjoy a bite while enjoying the breathtaking scenery.
Where to Stay
- Hotel Ristorante Belvedere is situated in Lugano; this hotel is close to Mount San Salvatore and offers great views of the city and the lake. It features a restaurant, bar, and garden.
- Hotel Eden Roc has panoramic views of the Alps; this hotel is located in Bedretto Valley and is ideal for a peaceful break in the mountains. It features an indoor pool, sauna, and a local cuisine restaurant.
- Hotel Rischli has fascinating views of Lake Brienz. This hotel is located on the outskirts of Ringgenberg village and offers perfect mountain getaways with comfort.
See Related: Day Trips from Lake Como to Switzerland
3. Mount Lema
Mount Lema is a beautiful destination located in the Ticino Alps of Southern Switzerland. At an altitude of 2,290 meters, Mount Lema may not be the tallest mountain, but it is worth visiting. The easily accessible summit and mesmerizing views make Mount Lema popular among hikers and climbers.
Mount Lema’s slopes are covered with pine and larch forests, providing plenty of shade on hot days. A variety of wildlife can be spotted in the area, including marmots and ibex. If you’re looking for a challenging hike or want to enjoy some breathtaking scenery, Mount Lema is the perfect destination.
Where to Stay
- Chalet Lea is a hotel located in a stunning location at the base of Mount Lema. It offers guests incredible views of all the mountains and countryside, luxurious amenities, and comfortable accommodations.
- Hotel Bellevue is a hotel that sits on the lakefront in beautiful Lucerne, making it an excellent choice for travelers who want to stay close to the action.
- Hotel Schweizerhof is a charming hotel located in downtown Lucerne and is an excellent choice for travelers who want easy access to all of the city’s best attractions.
4. Mount Rigi
Mount Rigi is one of the most popular mountains in Switzerland, offering magnificent views and plenty of opportunities for outdoor adventures. Whether you are a seasoned hiker or a novice skier, Mount Rigi has something to offer you.
Numerous trails lead up to the summit, so Mount Rigi can accommodate your needs, whether you want a stroll through lush meadows or a challenging climb through rocky terrain. A Mount Rigi and Lucerne day trip from Zurich is among the best things to do.
And once you reach the top, you are rewarded with sweeping vistas of the surrounding countryside, including lakes, forests, and villages.
Where to Stay Near Mount Rigi
- The Hotel Rigi Kaltbad is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a luxury hotel in the area. It offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and a wide range of amenities, including a spa, restaurant, and bar.
See Related: Best Warm Winter Destinations in Europe
5. Mount Parsenn
Mount Parsenn is a mountain located in the canton of Graubünden in Switzerland. At 2,962 meters above sea level, it is the highest peak in the Silvretta range. It is among the highest mountains in Switzerland. The mountain can be accessed by cable car from Ischgl or by foot from Kappl or Galtür.
Once at the top, several hiking trails lead to different mountain parts. There is also a restaurant and a small chapel. Mount Parsenn is a popular destination for both skiers and hikers. The mountain is home to one of Switzerland’s largest ski resorts in the winter, with over 200 kilometers of pistes.
Where to Stay
- The Parsenn Ski Lodge is a great place to stay if you’re looking for ski-in/ski-out accommodations.
- If you’re looking for a more luxurious experience, the Morosani Schweizerhof Davos is a great option. It’s located close to the ski slopes and offers stunning mountain views.
- For a more budget-friendly option, the Hotel Alpenrose is an excellent choice. It’s located in the heart of Davos and offers easy access to the ski slopes.
6. Mount Männlichen
Mount Männlichen is a mountain located in the Bernese Alps in Switzerland. At an elevation of 2,362 meters, it is one of the higher peaks nearby.
The mountain offers beautiful views of the surrounding countryside and is a popular destination for hikers and climbers. Several well-maintained trails lead to the summit, and several mountain huts provide food and shelter.
Mount Männlichen is a great place to enjoy the beauty of the Alps. The mountain is home to various wildlife, including Alpine ibex, chamois, red deer, and eagles.
The summit’s views are breathtaking, and the trails are well-maintained, making it easy for visitors to enjoy hiking or climbing and riding a Mount Männlichen cable car in this scenic part of Switzerland. If you’re looking for adventure in the mountains, check out Mount Männlichen!
Where to Stay
- Hotel Belvédère Wengen is a charming hotel that offers both standard rooms and spacious apartments, all with awesome views of the mountains. The onsite restaurant serves delicious local Swiss cuisine and is an ideal spot to enjoy a post-hike meal or drink.
- Arenas Resort Victoria-Lauberhorn is a friendly, family-run hotel that offers comfortable rooms with the breathtaking scenery of Mount Männlichen. This is an ideal place to relax after hiking with a range of onsite facilities, including a sauna and steam bath.
- Hotel Alpenrose is a modern four-star hotel just minutes from the cable car to Mount Männlichen. Rooms are large and comfortable, and the onsite restaurant serves delicious Swiss cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere.
See Related: Best Travel Apps in Europe
7. Mount Eiger
The Eiger is worth checking out if you want a more challenging climb. It’s located in the Bernese Alps and is one of the tallest mountains in the country. The views from the top are truly incredible, but it’s not an easy hike.
The Eiger’s North Face, which rises to 5,900 ft of near-vertical rock and ice, is considered the world’s most dangerous mountain. It may be shorter than its Jungfrau region counterparts, but this fearsome peak is no less famous.
There are many great things to do and day trips from Mount Eiger. Some of the best include hiking and climbing the mountain, taking in the amazing views from the top, and skiing or snowboarding down its slopes.
Where to Stay
- Hotel Eiger Muerren is a luxurious hotel offers guests stunning views of the mountains, world-class dining, and comfortable accommodations.
- Hotel Belvedere Grindelwald is a mountain hotel in the heart of the Swiss Alps. It offers fantastic views of the mountains, comfortable accommodations, and great amenities. The hotel is the perfect place to stay if you want to explore the Swiss Alps.
- Chalet Bärgblick is a popular mountain resort in Switzerland. It offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
See Related: Things to Do in Zurich, Switzerland
8. Mount Matterhorn
The Matterhorn is perhaps the most famous mountain in Switzerland and a popular tourist destination. This iconic mountain in the Pennine Alps has an impressive peak, making for some great photos.
It’s one of the most challenging mountains to climb, but you’ll be rewarded with beautiful views if you feel up to the challenge. The Matterhorn Glacier Paradise tourist attraction is one of the best mountains in Switzerland. It is located on Mount Matterhorn and is a great place for tourists.
The attraction has a lot of glaciers, and it is a great place to go skiing or snowboarding. It offers a mountain area tour.
Where to Stay
- The Romantik Hotel Julen is a five-star resort located at the base of the Matterhorn. This hotel offers guests luxurious accommodations and grand views of the beautiful mountains.
- The Park Hotel Bellevue & Spa is another five-star hotel that offers its guests a variety of amenities, including an indoor pool, a spa, and a restaurant.
- The Grand Hotel Zermatterhof is a four-star hotel with a wellness center, an indoor pool, and a variety of restaurants.
See Related: Best & Most Beautiful Cities in Europe
9. Monta Rosa
The Monta Rosa is the second-highest mountain in Switzerland, and it’s easy to see why it’s such a popular destination for hikers and climbers. It’s one of Switzerland’s most famous mountains to explore and visit.
The summit offers spectacular views of the Alps, and the journey to the top is challenging but rewarding. If you plan a trip to Monta Rosa, allow plenty of time for the hike. The average person takes about eight hours to reach the summit, and taking your time and enjoying the experience is important.
Remember, the journey is just as important as the destination. So take your time, soak in the scenery, and savor every moment of your Monta Rosa adventure.
Where to Stay
- The Excelsior Hotel in Zermatt is a beautifully appointed 5-star hotel that offers glorious views of the Matterhorn. The hotel features a spa, indoor and outdoor pools, and a Michelin-starred restaurant.
- The Grand Hotel du Parc des Eaux-Vives in Geneva is a luxury 5-star hotel with a great location on Lake Geneva. The hotel has an award-winning restaurant and spacious rooms with views of the lake and the city.
- The Eden au Lac in Zurich is a lovely 4-star hotel located on the shores of Lake Zurich. The hotel features an outdoor pool, a spa, and a restaurant with lake views.
See Related: Things to Do in Zermatt
10. Mount Pilatus
Mount Pilatus is one of the most breathtaking and iconic mountain ranges in the world. With its steep, jagged peaks and spellbinding views of the surrounding landscape, Mount Pilatus is a must-see destination for any traveler looking to soak up some incredible natural beauty.
The mountain can be accessed via a cable car or aerial cableway, giving you a fantastic view of the terrain as you climb toward the summit. If you’re itching for an adventure, don’t miss out on this unique and spectacular mountain experience and enjoy a day tour in Mount Pilatus!
Watch our full experience from the ViaTravelers YouTube channel, doing the complete Golden Round Trip tour during our stay in Lucerne.
Where to Stay
- The Hotel Pilatus-Kulm is a mountain hotel on Mount Pilatus in Lucerne, Switzerland. It offers commanding views of the city and lake below and the Alps.
- The Kulmhotel Gornergrat is a historic hotel situated on the Gornergrat in Zermatt, Switzerland. It is located near the highest point of the Gornergrat train line and has magnificent views of the Matterhorn and the surrounding mountains.
- Gimmelwald Lodge is a charming mountain lodge in the small village of Gimmelwald in Switzerland. It has incredible views of the surrounding mountain peaks and serves excellent local food.
See Related: Things to Do in Lucerne, Switzerland
11. Mount Piz Bernina
Mount Piz Bernina is the “highest mountain in the Eastern Alps,” also known as the “Mount Everest” of the Engadin, and is a popular destination for hikers and climbers.
At over 4,000 meters high, it offers a challenging and rewarding climb. The view from the summit is stunning, stretching out over the glaciers and peaks of the Swiss Alps.
The steepest cogwheel railway in Bernina is a great attraction for visitors. It climbs the mountain at a steep angle, giving passengers a thrilling ride to the train station. The views from the top are spectacular, and the railway is a popular destination for hikers and nature lovers.
Where to Stay
- Hotel Bernina 1865 is located in the heart of the town and offers wide views of the surrounding mountains. It is just a short walk from the cable car station, making it the perfect base for exploring the area.
- Grand Hotel des Bains is located right on the shores of Lake St. Moritz; this luxurious 5-star hotel offers all of the modern amenities you could want. It also has a private beach, making it the perfect place to relax after hiking.
- Suvretta House is a 5-star hotel in the Upper Engadin Valley and offers splendid views of the surrounding mountains. It is just a short drive from the cable car station, making it the perfect base for exploring the area.
See Related: Things to Do in Interlaken
Ruinaulta, or the “Swiss Grand Canyon,” is a mountain in the Swiss Alps known for its breathtaking scenery. The mountain is located in the canton of Graubünden and is part of the Rätikon mountain range. Ruinaulta is a popular destination for hiking enthusiasts and climbers, and its summit can be reached via a steep, challenging path.
The mountain is known for its spectacular views of the surrounding countryside and several nearby bodies of water. The Muotathal Valley and Lake Lucerne are both visible from Ruinaulta’s summit. In addition to hiking, the peak offers excellent skiing in the winter months.
Where to Stay
- The Waldhaus am See is a charming hotel overlooking the beautiful Lake Ruinaulta and is a great place to stay when you want easy access to the mountains. It features comfortable rooms, a delicious restaurant, and friendly staff happy to help with any questions.
- The Hide Hotel Flims, if you’re looking for a more rustic mountain experience, the Hide Hotel Flims is a perfect choice. It is located deep in the mountains and offers cozy chalets with all the modern comforts you want. And when you’re not relaxing in your room, you can explore the many hiking trails nearby.
- The Hotel Adula is a luxurious hotel that offers the ultimate mountain indulgence. You’ll never want to leave with its top-notch spa facilities and gourmet restaurants. And the ski and trails are just a walk away so you can experience the mountains in style.
See Related: Best Hotels in Switzerland
13. Mount Tamaro
It is one of the best mountains in Switzerland and a great place to exercise while enjoying heavenly views. The mountain is picturesque all year round, and the views from the top are breathtaking.
Tamaro is perfect for hiking and climbing and is a great way to see some of the most beautiful scenery in Switzerland. The mountain is also home to photo-worthy wildlife, including eagles, chamois, and ibex.
Where to Stay
- Hotel Eden Roc is a luxurious hotel perched atop Tamaro, providing guests with breathtaking views of the surrounding scenery. The hotel has been renovated numerous times to ensure guests have all the modern conveniences they could request.
- Riffelalp Resort is a hotel perched at 2,222 meters, offering guests spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and glaciers. In addition to its prime location, the hotel features a luxury spa, an indoor pool, and a gourmet restaurant.
- The Chedi Andermatt, Andermatt, is a luxurious hotel in the heart of the Swiss Alps. With breathtaking landscapes of the surrounding alpine scenery, this hotel steps away from several hiking trails and ski slopes. In addition to its prime location, the hotel also features an award-winning restaurant, a fitness center, a spa, and recreational activities.
- Best Places to Get Married in Europe
- Most Beautiful Places in the World
- Most Famous Historical Landmarks in Switzerland
- Where to Stay in Zurich, Switzerland
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Kyle Kroeger is the Founder and Owner of ViaTravelers.com. He is a full-time traveler and entrepreneur. Kyle started ViaTravelers.com to help travelers experience a fully immersive cultural experience as he did initially living in Italy. He’s a converted finance nerd and Excel jockey turned world wanderer (and may try to get lost on purpose). After visiting 12 countries and 13 national parks in a year, he was devoted to creating and telling stories like he’d heard.
Plus, after spending more time on airplanes and packing, he’s learned some incredible travel hacks over time as he earned over 1 million Chase Ultimate Rewards points in under a year, helping him maximize experiences as much as possible to discover the true meaning of travel.
He loves listening to local stories from around the world and sharing his experiences traveling the globe. He loves travel so much that he moved from his hometown of Minneapolis to Amsterdam with his small family to travel Europe full-time.