While fairy tales have become less common, there are still many towns around the world that they have inspired.
Fairytale towns aren’t only filled with fantasy characters but rather beautiful architecture, history, and gorgeous scenery. In this article, we’ve compiled a list of the most beautiful fairytale towns around the world.
Table of Contents
- Most Beautiful Fairy Tale Towns Around The World
- 1. Hamnoy, Norway
- 2. Castle Combe, England
- 3. Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany
- 4. Manarola, Italy
- 5. Monemvasia, Greece
- 6. Hobbiton, New Zealand
- 7. Perast, Montenegro
- 8. Portree, Scotland
- 9. Gokayama, Japan
- 10. Hallstatt, Austria
- 11. Bled, Slovenia
- 12. Bibury, England
- 13. Zhangjiajie, China
- 14. Göreme, Turkey
- 15. Bhutan – The Mountain Kingdom of the Thunder Dragon
- 16. Houtouwan, China
Most Beautiful Fairy Tale Towns Around The World
Fairy tales come true in the villages where fairy tale architecture and the charm of the past blend with modern amenities! At first glance, many of the cities, towns, villages, and hamlets on this list look like they were taken straight out of a storybook – but there is so much more to them!
Here are some of the most beautiful fairytale towns around the world.
1. Hamnoy, Norway
Hamnoy is one of the most beautiful fairytale villages around the world. The fishing village is located on the Lofoten archipelago in Nordland, Norway.
It is a small fishing village with scenic beauty, making it a must-see place in the Moskenes municipality.
Hamnoy is famous for its charming scenery. It has been called “one of the most beautiful fairytale towns in Europe” on many occasions. The town looks like it belongs in a tale of trolls, elves, and fairies!
Hamnoy bridge, Soroya island, and Lofoten workshops are picturesque landmarks in Hamnoy. The town facilitates tourists with fishing, rafting, boating, hiking, bike racing, and other recreational activities.
Visitors can also visit the local museums to know the ancient cultures and artifacts of the town.
Where To Stay in Hamnoy, Norway
Many nearby hotels in this tiny village offer cheap rates and good amenities. They range from 5-star hotels to 3-star hotels and everything in between. Our top picks in the area include:
- Eliassen Rorbuer: Located 5 miles from Moskenes ferry terminal, the cottages offer stunning views of the Norwegian Sea and mountains. The facilities include free parking, bathrooms, Wi-Fi, and a private kitchen.
- Reinefjorden Sjøhus: Located in Hamnøy, the apartment offers free on-site private parking, a kitchen, a dishwasher, free Wi-Fi, and stunning sea views.
How To Get Around Hamnoy, Norway
You can travel around Hamnoy on foot, by bicycle or by car. There are several ways to get from A to B in Hamnoy, but it’s a good idea to check out some guided tours. Take a look at our top recommendations below:
See Related: Most Beautiful Beaches in the World
2. Castle Combe, England
Castle Combe is a beautiful fairy tale village and a civil parish in the county of Wiltshire. It is about 8 kilometers away from Chippenham. It is also one of the most visited fairytale towns in Europe and a total postcard destination.
The village is famous for its ancient stone cottages, market square, cross monument, and unmatched natural beauty. St. Andrew’s Church, an old dower house, and Water Lane Bridge are other local highlights.
What’s more, the village has been used as a shooting location for many famous movies. The Wolf Man and Dr. Dolittle, Stephen Spielberg’s War Horse, and Stardust are a few examples.
A visit to Castle Combe village is like stepping into a fairytale town where people still live in the past but with modern facilities like electricity and water supply.
Apart from that, Castle Combe is where you can feel like you are living in another era altogether!
Where To Stay in Castle Combe, England
Castle Combe is one of those fairytale towns that attracts tourists from all over the world. If you’re looking for a comfortable place to stay while visiting Castle Combe, check out our top recommendations below:
- The White Hart: Located near the village center, the traditional English hotel features free onsite parking, private bathrooms, Wi-Fi, continental breakfast, and a coffee/tea maker in all rooms.
- A Picturesque 15th Century Three Storey Stone Cottage: Located near Castle Combe, the house features three bedrooms, three bathrooms, a kitchen, living room, dining area, free Wi-Fi, parking, washer & dryer, TV, and many more.
How To Get Around Castle Combe, England
If you’re planning a trip to Castle Combe for the very first time, here are our top picks for guided tours:
See Related: Most Beautiful Cities in the World to Visit
3. Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany
Rothenburg ob der Tauber is one of Europe’s most beautiful medieval towns. It’s located in Bavaria, Germany, and today it’s a renowned tourist attraction on Germany’s Romantic Road.
Rothenburg is a city full of historical landmarks and gorgeous architecture. The city is known for its medieval district and has been named one of the most beautiful fairytale cities in Europe.
You’ll find yourself surrounded by cobblestone streets and old buildings that date back to the 14th Century. In fact, Walt Disney’s Pinocchio was inspired by this charming city.
The town has five impressive entrance gates made of thick city walls, with medieval streets running through. Tourists can climb the Rodertor tower for stunning views of the town and for an experience that will take your breath away.
Where To Stay in Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany
You can find many accommodations in Rothenburg, from budget hotels to five-star luxury. This fairy tale city has plenty of options for travelers who want to explore its historic charm and enjoy the local cuisine. The following are some of our top picks:
- Hotel Reichs-Küchenmeister: Located a short walk from the town center, this hotel has both modern amenities such as free Wi-Fi and a spa and wellness center, and traditional German architecture.
- Cozy Holiday Home: Located in Rothenburg Old Town, the apartment offers modern amenities like a spa tub, free Wi-Fi, TV, and many more.
How To Get Around Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany
Most buildings in Rothenburg are built on cobblestone streets that run through the center of town. These cobblestone streets create narrow winding alleys that can be hard to navigate if you’re unfamiliar with them. So, we recommend booking one of these guided tours to get most of this beautiful fairytale town:
- Rothenburg: Old Town Private Tour
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Private Walking Tour With A Professional Guide
4. Manarola, Italy
Manarola is one of the most visited fairytale towns in Europe. Being one of the famous Cinque Terre towns, it is a small seaside village that was once a fishing village.
This tiny village has about 400 residents. It attracts thousands of visitors who travel from all over Europe to visit this picturesque Italian town. Many tourists chose this fairytale town to celebrate the village’s Christmas festival and cherish its scenic beauty.
The town is high above sea level, featuring colorful houses with spectacular views. Piazza Papa Innocenzo IV, Oratorio dei Disciplinati, and San Lorenzo Church are famous fairytale destinations at the top of the town.
Where To Stay in Manarola, Italy?
Manarola has many accommodation options to suit budget travelers, including hotels, apartments, and villas. Below, we’ve narrowed down our list of top accommodations in Manarola:
- Affittacamere San Giorgio: Located only about 200 m from the seafront, the hotel offers free Wi-Fi, air-conditioned family rooms, tea/coffee makers, etc.
- Mansion – Manarola: Located in the heart of Manarola, the apartment features free parking, a TV, a heater, and a fabulous terrace with a stunning sea view.
How To Get Around Manarola, Italy
If you’re planning on visiting Manarola, Italy, and you’re wondering how to get around, we recommend booking one of these guided tours:
- La Spezia: Cinque Terre Guided Hiking Tour
- Cinque Terre Pesto Making Class, Boat Tour, and Lunch
- Cinque Terre Full-Day Hiking Experience
5. Monemvasia, Greece
Monemvasia is famous for its natural beauty and historical monuments. It is also one of the most picturesque destinations in Europe. It is a stunning medieval castle town located on the rocks of the Peloponnese Peninsula in Greece.
This fairytale town was built as a secret place in ancient times to remain safe from enemy attacks. Today, it has been named one of the most beautiful European fairytale towns because of its unique architecture and history.
Byzantine churches, the old stone castles, and the serene beaches are the must-see spots in the town. It also features breathtaking views from the rock tops.
Monemvasia walking tour will make you feel like you are strolling around in an ancient legend!
Where To Stay in Monemvasia, Greece
Monemvasia is a popular tourist destination with several hotels, guesthouses, and restaurants. If you’re planning on staying in Monemvasia for more than one night, it’s best to book ahead. Here are our top picks:
- Guesthouse Kellia: Located 300 m from Monemvasia Beach, the house offers air-conditioned rooms, a lounge area with a fireplace, free Wi-Fi, and a patio to enjoy Aegean Sea views.
- Malvasia Castle Villa: This newly renovated medieval castle offers many modern amenities such as free Wi-Fi, hot tub, TV, air-conditioned rooms, fireplace, and many more.
How To Get Around Monemvasia, Greece
There are only two routes to access the town. You can reach there by sea or through a narrow pathway from the mainland.
Booking a guided tour would make exploring this beautiful fairytale town much easier. From Athens: Peloponnese 6-Day Private Tour to Meteora is a great option for a start.
See Related: Winter Travel Tips While Visiting Europe
6. Hobbiton, New Zealand
Hobbiton is a beautiful fairy tale town in Waikato, New Zealand, where the movies of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings were filmed. The area has been recreated as if it were Middle-Earth, down to the little hobbit holes and even a working blacksmith shop.
You should also check out the Hobbiton Movie Set Tour. The tour takes you around the town with a guide who will tell you about its history and how it was made for the film series.
The tourists arrive in swarms each year to tour the movie sets in Hobbiton, New Zealand. It’s an essential stop for movie buffs!
Where To Stay in Hobbiton, New Zealand
This little fairy tale town hosts a LOT of visitors every year. So, it’s essential to get your accommodations right for your visit. The following are some of the best Hobbiton accommodations available:
- Hills Vista Lodge: Located just a mile from Hobbiton Movie Set, the lodge offers a garden and barbecue facilities, free parking, Wi-Fi, TV, and a private kitchen.
- Chalet in the Shire: Located among the beauty of the “Shires,” this chalet offers modern amenities like free Wi-Fi, TV, heater, free parking, and many more.
How To Get Around Hobbiton, New Zealand
To get around Hobbiton, you can hire a car from Auckland. You can drive all around the area while enjoying the beautiful scenery on the way. You can also book a guided tour to explore this fairytale town. Here are our top picks:
- Waikato: Hobbiton Movie Set Guided Tour Ticket
- Hobbiton & Waitomo Caves Day Trip with Lunch
- From Auckland: Hobbiton Movie Set Half-Day Trip with Tour
7. Perast, Montenegro
Perast is another one of the most visited fairytale towns in Europe. Its seaside location, surrounded by mountains and the Adriatic Sea, makes this small village the perfect place to relax and enjoy beautiful nature.
There are a lot of historical places worth seeing in this 13th Century town. Its picturesque landscapes, old churches, beaches, and the Bujovic Palace draw visitors’ attention globally. Our Lady of the Rocks and St. George Island is the other unmissable places in the town.
St. Nicholas Church is the highest building in the city with a 55 meters tall bell tower. The visitors climb the bell tower to enjoy the charming scenery of this tiny medieval town.
Where To Stay in Perast, Montenegro
Perast has several hotels and apartments offering accommodation, from basic rooms with shared bathroom facilities to luxury penthouses or villas with private pools and spas. Here are our top picks that you can check out:
- Conte Hotel & Restaurant: Located in the heart of Perast, the hotel offers free parking, Wi-Fi, air-conditioned rooms, a swimming pool, a TV, and many more.
- Vila Per Astra: Located in the beautiful natural setting of the baroque town of Perast, the villa features onsite parking, luxurious air-conditioned suites, a swimming pool, and other modern amenities.
How To Get Around Perast, Montenegro
Explore the beautiful coastline of Montenegro by boat or seaplane! You can also book guided tours of Perast’s beaches or hike through its hilly countryside. Check out these guided tours for an unforgettable experience:
- Our Lady of the Rocks, Mamula, and Blue Cave
- Montenegro: Durmitor, Tara & Ostrog Monastery Day Trip
- From Dubrovnik: Montenegro Day Trip
8. Portree, Scotland
Portree is a beautiful town on the Isle of Skye, Scotland. Because of its sheer beauty and relative remoteness, many famous movies have been filmed in this stunning village, including Stardust (2007), Made of Honor (2008), Snow White and the Huntsman (2012), Macbeth (2015), and BFG (2016), to name a few. Thanks to its time in the spotlight, it’s known as one of the most beautiful places in the world.
The town has an incredible atmosphere with mountain views, waterfalls, and colorful houses by the coast.
It has become quite popular among tourists, who come here to enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, bird watching, and rock climbing.
The Eilean Donan Castle is a short drive from the city. Lealt Falls is another popular tourist destination if you’re fascinated by waterfalls. The Aros Center is a community cultural center. It is worth visiting if you’re a fan of art galleries.
Where To Stay in Portree, Scotland
If you are looking for somewhere to stay in Portree, Scotland, here is our selection of hotels in Skye from which you can choose a room:
- Rock View Guest House: Located in Portree, the hotel offers continental breakfast, private bathrooms, free Wi-Fi, and a coffee/tea maker in all rooms.
- Skeabost View Pods Skye: Located a few miles from Portree, the chalets boast onsite parking, a kitchenette, a private bathroom, free Wi-Fi, a TV, and a patio with stunning mountains and river views.
How To Get Around Portree, Scotland
The best way to get around Portree is by car. If you’re planning on traveling between towns or cities, then driving is the way to go. If driving isn’t your thing, you can also book one of these guided tours:
- Isle of Skye Private Tour from Portree
- Isle of Skye and Eilean Donan Castle Day Trip
- Portree: Best of Isle of Skye Full-Day Tour
See Related: Best Tourist Destinations in the World
9. Gokayama, Japan
Gokayama is a fairy tale town in Japan, famous for its historic buildings and picturesque landscape of rolling hills and lush meadows. It is a world heritage site near Nanto in Toyama Prefecture, Japan.
UNESCO included this town on the World Heritage List in 1995. Gokayama technically consists of two remote villages, Ainokura and Suganuma.
Ainokura village features 23 traditional Gassho-Zukuri farmhouses, handmade souvenir shops, and a beautiful temple. Ainokura Minzoku-kan is a famous museum in Gokayama village.
The ice-capped Gassho Zukuri medieval farmhouses in Suganuma are a treat to admire. Gokayama Minzoku-kan and Ensho no Yakata are the two worthwhile museums in Suganuma village.
Where To Stay in Gokayama, Japan
If you’re looking for somewhere to stay near Gokayama, then we recommend checking out the following top hotels:
- Guest House Takazuri-KITA: Located in Nanto, the guest house offers facilities like free parking, Wi-Fi, a shared kitchen, and a garden for stunning mountain views.
- Minshuku Yomoshirou: Located in Nanto, the guest house offers traditional Japanese-style accommodations with modern facilities such as free Wi-Fi. This is the best place to stay if you want to experience the true Japanese culture.
How To Get Around Gokayama, Japan
The best way to get around Gokayama is by car, bus or train. You can also book direct guided tours to Gokayama. Here are top picks:
- Private Tour of Shirakawago and Gokayama from Kanazawa
- Private Full-Day Tour of Historical Shirakawago and Gokayama
- Shirakawa-go, Gokayama & Takayama Private Tour From Kanazawa
See Related: Best Minnesota Family Vacations
10. Hallstatt, Austria
Hallstatt is one of the most charming villages in Europe. It is located on the coast of Hallstatt lake in Salzkammergut, a famous mountain region in Austria. It is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The sleepy town has high-altitude houses and beautiful narrow tracks leading to fantastic dining places and alpine cafes.
Hallstatt is a hallmark of spectacular lake views, snow-capped peaks, and fairy tale Austrian Alps scenery.
Where To Stay in Hallstatt, Austria
Hallstatt offers many accommodation options to suit your needs and budget. Here are some options from which to choose in this great destination:
- Hallstatt Lakeview House: Located in the heart of Hallstatt, this guest house features two bedrooms, one bathroom, a fully equipped kitchen, a TV, and a balcony for fantastic lake views.
- Heritage Hotel Hallstatt: Located in Hallstatt, the hotel offers free parking, Wi-Fi, TV, coffee/tea maker in all rooms, and beautiful Lake Hallstatt views.
How To Get Around Hallstatt, Austria
The best way to get around Hallstatt is by bus or train. You can also book direct guided tours to Hallstatt. Here are top picks:
- Hallstatt Private Walk Tour With A Professional Guide
- From Salzburg: Half-Day Tour to Hallstatt
- From Vienna: Hallstatt and Alpine Peaks with Skywalk Lift
11. Bled, Slovenia
Bled is a gorgeous fairytale town with rich history, found along the Bled Lake in the Carniolan region of Slovenia. It provides a charming top view of snowy glaciers and ice-tipped mountains.
The ancient Bled Castle and the Church of the Assumption on the tiny island mid-lake are the top-notch places to explore in Bled and best viewed up close or via boat tour.
Triglav National Park, the Pokljuka Plateau, Postojna caves, and the Bled Island Gallery are other popular tourist destinations in the town.
Bled is a habitat for various wild animals and birds, making it a magical destination for nature lovers. Rafting, swimming, hiking, skating, and ice hockey are the favorite fun activities in the town. People also love its delicious vanilla and cream pastry.
Where To Stay in Bled, Slovenia
Bled is a popular tourist destination with several hotels, guesthouses, and restaurants. If you’re staying longer than 1 or 2 nights, it’s worth checking out the local rental properties. Here are our top picks:
- Hotel Lovec: Located in the heart of Bled, this hotel offers air-conditioned rooms, free parking, Wi-Fi, a swimming pool, a spa & wellness center, and a balcony with stunning park and Lake Bled views.
- 135m2 Apartment in City Center: Located in Bled, this renovated flat features free onsite parking, a bright living room with three side windows, air-conditioned rooms, a kitchen, bar, TV, heater, washer & dryer, and free Wi-Fi.
How To Get Around Bled, Slovenia
The best way to get around Bled is by train. You can also book one of these guided tours:
- From Ljubljana: Day Trip to Bled and Vintgar Gorge
- From Bled: Self-Guided E-Bike Tour of the Vintgar Gorge
- Day Trip to Triglav National Park from Bled
- Bled: 3-Hour Family-Friendly Rafting Adventure
12. Bibury, England
Bibury is a tiny village in Gloucestershire, England. It is situated on the River Coln and has charming stone cottages with steep golden roofs that are an excellent tourist attraction.
The renowned poet, William Morris, regarded this place as the most beautiful village in England.
The beautiful cottages were once the houses for weavers who used to prepare fabrics for the nearby Arlington Mill. For this reason, the appealing row of stone houses is also called Arlington Row.
St Mary’s Church, The Classic Motor Hub, and the Bibury Trout Farm are other tip-top places to hit up in Bibury, England.
Where To Stay in Bibury, England
There are many nearby hotels in Bibury that offer cheap rates and good amenities. Our top picks in the area include:
- Gables Cottage: Located in Bibury, this cottage features two bedrooms, one bathroom, a living room, a heater, a TV, a washer & dryer, etc.
- The Swan Hotel: Located in the heart of Bibury, the hotel offers facilities like free parking, Wi-Fi, family rooms, breakfast, and a coffee/tea maker in all rooms.
How To Get Around Bibury, England
Here are our top recommendations for guided tours in Bibury:
See Related: Best Whale Watching Places in the World
13. Zhangjiajie, China
Zhangjiajie is one of the most beautiful fairy tale cities in the world. It is located in the Hunan province of China. The beautiful city lies about 600 miles away from Hong Kong.
The area’s landscape, surrounded by mountains and verdant forests, emerald lakes, and streams, makes it look like the fantasy world of Pandora from Avatar.
Binglang Valley, Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, and Golden Whip Stream are the top attraction sites.
The magnificent natural scenery makes it an ideal place for photographers and bird watchers. What’s more, the restaurants and dining places in the city offer multiple food options.
Where To Stay in Zhangjiajie, China
The stunningly beautiful landscapes make it a very popular destination in China, attracting thousands of tourists every year around the world.
- Whispering Mountains Boutique Hotel: Located 400m from the West gate of Zhangjiajie, the hotel offers free onsite parking, Wi-Fi, a private bathroom, a swimming pool, and complimentary bicycles to explore the beautiful Yangjiajie Scenic Area.
- Forest Glass inn: Located within a 20-minute walk of Huangshi Village, the hotel has an outdoor swimming pool and offers nonsmoking rooms with free Wi-Fi, a flat-screen TV, minibar, and coffee machine, along with a private bathroom with slippers and complimentary toiletries.
How To Get Around Zhangjiajie, China
You can reach the city through trains that start from the major towns straight to Zhangjiajie. You can also book direct guided tours to Zhangjiajie, China: Here are our top recommendations:
- Full-Day Zhangjiajie National Forest Park Tour
- Two Days Private Tour to Zhangjiajie National Forest Park & Glass Bridge
- Zhangjiajie: Private Full-Day Tour w/ Grand Canyon
14. Göreme, Turkey
Göreme is a historic town located in a semi-arid region, Cappadocia, in central Turkey. Seeing this place is believing it – the town looks like it’s from another world!
Uchisar Castle, Pasabag valley, and cone-shaped rock formations of Cappadocia are notable landmarks near the city. The cone-shaped rocks are known as the “fairy chimneys,” and they look almost alien! The town also provides an entrance route to the famous Göreme National Park.
Göreme Open Air Museum lies on the city’s eastern side, along with cave churches and ancient frescoes.
Hot air balloon rides are one of the most popular tourist activities in Göreme. It’s the best way to see this simply remarkable town and the unique geological formations.
Where To Stay in Göreme, Turkey
The fairy tale city offers a variety of accommodation options for travelers who want to experience its historic charm and delicious local cuisine. The following are some of our top picks:
- Artemis Cave Suites & Spa: Located in the center of Göreme, the hotel offers free parking, Wi-Fi, a spa and wellness center, a TV, a private bathroom, a garden, and a terrace for amazing views of this fairy tale city.
- Zara Cave Hotel: Located in the heart of Göreme, the hotel offers free parking, Wi-Fi, air-conditioned rooms, a safety deposit box, an ironing service, a TV, a private bathroom, a garden, and a terrace with breathtaking views of Göreme.
How To Get Around Göreme, Turkey
You can travel around Göreme by bus, scooter or car. There are several ways to get from A to B in Göreme, but it’s a good idea to check out some guided tours. Take a look at our top recommendations below:
- Cappadocia: Hot Air Balloon Tour with Transfer and Light Breakfast
- Cappadocia: Full-Day Private Tour
- Cappadocia Highlights Tour with Lunch
15. Bhutan – The Mountain Kingdom of the Thunder Dragon
“But Bhutan is a country, not a town!” – I hear you whine.
Yeah, well Bhutan is crazy small, and almost every settlement, landscape, vista, forest, mountain, river, you name it, is ripped straight from a fairy tale. Narrowing down the best fairytale towns here would be impossible!
The Kingdom of Bhutan is a South Asian country located in the Eastern Himalayas. It is also known as “Druk Yul” or “The Mountain Kingdom of Thunder Dragon.” The locals call it “Druk Yul” due to the aggressive thunderstorms pouring down the Himalayan Mountain Range into the valleys. Doesn’t get more fairytale-ish than that!
Bhutan is a fairytale destination with its stunning traditional architecture, fascinating rural lifestyle, and spectacular Himalayan scenery. Visitors can explore its beauty by walking the mountainous tracks, touring the beautiful heritage villages, and witnessing the cultural festivals.
Within this fairytale land, the Tiger’s Nest, Punakha Dzong administrative center, and Paro Taktsang monastery are awe-inspiring destinations in Bhutan. Add them to your list of magical places to visit!
Where To Stay in Bhutan
Bhutan’s best hotels are in Thimphu, Paro, Phuntsholing, and Punākha. These are also where most tourists stay when they visit Bhutan. Here is our top recommendation if you plan to stay for a night or weekend:
- Zambala Hotel River-View: Located in Paro, the hotel offers free parking, Wi-Fi, breakfast, a 24-hour front desk service, private bathrooms with a shower & wardrobe, a garden, and a terrace for fantastic river views.
- Le Meridien Thimphu: Located in Thimphu, Le Meridien Thimphu is a great hotel that offers a convenient location and modern facilities like free parking, Wi-Fi, breakfast, a swimming pool, air-conditioned rooms, private bathrooms with bathrobes & hairdryer, and coffee/tea maker in all rooms.
How To Get Around Bhutan
There are no trains in Bhutan. However, some private cars with drivers will take you on long trips around the country. You can also book guided tours to explore the beauty of this tiny country. Here are our top picks:
- Bhutan Cultural Tour with Day Hikes
- Fifteen-Day Cross Countries Tour of Bhutan
- Glimpses of Bhutan – 4 Days Tour
See Related: Most Photographed Cities in the World
16. Houtouwan, China
And now for something completely unique!
Houtouwan is a remote village near the Shengshan Islands, China. It used to be the residence of more than 2,000 fishermen and their families in the past. People abandoned this village in the ’90s due to its inaccessible geographical location, allowing nature to reclaim the land.
Besides zero population, this tiny village is a masterpiece of nature and an example of what mother nature can do to urban areas once people vacate them. The empty houses, covered under the blanket of climbing trees on the steep mountain, look stunning, beautiful, and legitimately out of some fairytale book.
Lately, the government has paid particular attention to the development of Houtouwan village. They have started repairing and constructing the routes and accommodations in the area to promote tourism.
Hopefully, they don’t disturb it too much!
Where To Stay in Houtouwan, China
There are some accommodations nearby with good amenities. Our top picks in the area include:
- Shengsi Xihai Guesthouse: Located near a beach, the guesthouse offers air-conditioned rooms, a TV, a private bathroom with shower & wardrobe, free parking, Wi-Fi, and breakfast.
- Shengsi Huajing Villa: Located in Zhoushan, the villa offers air-conditioned rooms, private bathrooms with showers, slippers, & a wardrobe, complimentary toiletries, cleaning products, an electric kettle, and a garden for fantastic beach views.
How To Get Around Houtouwan, China
Shanghai is about five to six hours away from Houtouwan, and the easiest way to get there is by taking a bus and ferry ride. Once you arrive on Shengshan Island, you can take a taxi to Houtouwan and hike through the village and the surrounding area.
- Most Romantic Cities in the World
- Best Honeymoon Destinations in the World
- Best Hiking Trails in the World You Must Visit
Use Skyscanner to book the cheapest flight possible. Skyscanner is my favorite flight search engine as you can find flights around the globe and from every airline possible. You'll be in great shape to get the best price possible.
You must grab a free trial or join Scott's Cheap Flights Premium to get cheap flight alerts directly to your email inbox. My favorite cheap flight alert was 25,000 Delta SkyMiles to London non-stop.